“Fantastic Italian Birthday dinner”
Review of Il Tesoro

Il Tesoro
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: San-Cap Road
Description: IL Tesoro Ristorante, the restaurant name which means ,"the Treasure" in Italian, features authentic Italian cuisine with a modern sophisticated touch using only the freshest seasonal ingredients. Enjoy a festive experience in a Bistro-style setting, with hundreds of Italian wines and dozens of original oil paintings decorating the walls. Open kitchen flair is added enjoyment of the evening as you can watch your dinner being carefully prepared. Our menu is the total creation of Chef/Owner, AJ Black, where his motto reigns supreme, “Fresh Ingredients, simplicity, love are the recipe for a treasured dining experience."
Reviewed January 18, 2013

This was our first visit to Il Tesoro - we had never managed to get in before but as we were celebrating my husband's birthday I made a reservation a week in advance. We were not disappointed in any way. The atmosphere was intimate but informal and delightfully relaxed. We shared a plate of antipasti which was a meal in itself and very comprehensive. We had two of that night's specials - veal involtini and lamb chops in a balsamic reduction - both were delicious. I had told the restaurant that it was my husband's birthday so they decorated the plate with our shared desert of a limoncello sorbet with Happy Birthday! We chose a splendid Nebiolo from the wine list. All the staff were terrific, friendly and attentive but not overwhelmingly so. It was not the cheapest but as it was a special occasion it was totally worth it. I am sure we could have had a much cheaper but still fabulous meal had we wanted to.

iltesoro, Manager at Il Tesoro, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you for coming to experience our restaurant and spending time dining with us, please come to see us again to try some more comforting dishes and some great wines along with them. Always happy to serve you.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

the food was great quality. This a small homey feeling atmosphere. I had Wonderful outgoing waitress, Her name was liza. I would defiantly come back again.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

We have eaten at 45 Michelin 3 star restaurants, including all of the current 10 in Paris. For me, the thing that separates 3 stars from all the rest is not the food. At the highest level, they are all good to great. Il Tesoro certainly meets that standard in a very comfortable setting. What sets a 3 star apart is their ability to immediately create a great ambience and maintain throughout the meal and this is what sets Il Tesoro apart. Liza had that ability and made a nice experience magical. Have to go back next week.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

We had dinner at Il Tesoro this past weekend while visiting Captiva Island and had a wonderful experience. They accomodated our family, five of us with two small children. Our appetizer/salad combos were excellent. I had the special appetizer, Eggplant Milanese (tower). It was a combo of grilled/crisp breaded eggplant with a tomato/mozzerella salad. It was prepared well, looked interesting and tasted very good. My husband had the calamari with salad, which was spicy but good. Our entrees were excellent and our toddlers loved the pasta alfredo with chicken. I liked the intimate atmosphere and felt the tables had the right amount of privacy and room. The owner/hostess was very friendly made a point to visit each table. I forgot my purse when we left and they called my cell phone (from our reservation), which I appreciated. All in all, a very good experience. I would recommend this to couples and groups of friends looking for a quiet intimate evening and good meal.

Thank you for your recommendations for our menu to the Tripadvisor readers, we appreciate the opportunity to create intimate and fun experiences for you and all our guests to enjoy and create memories of great times with great food.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We received a $100 gift certificate, so we thought we'd try this place even though we had a so-so experience there a couple of years ago. We made reservations, arrived on time and were the second party to be seated that evening -- meaning all the tables were empty except for a large party. So, of course they put us at a table directly in front of the door to the dishwashers -- the door actually swung in and hit part of the table, so they'd removed one of the 4 chairs. We asked for something different. The host said he had ONE other table for two (all the tables are for 4), but it was in a very chilly place (the room seats maybe 40 or so). We took the chilly table and it was okay. Stuck in a corner, dark and chilly, but better than sitting in traffic. The place quickly filled up and they seated many couples at the remaining tables for "four." Okay, whatever. But then, apparently they forgot to save one of the tables for a couple with a reservation and the hostess began racing around ogling everyones' plates and murmuring something about how we were enjoying our meals. Soon the entire staff couldn't wait to see you finish up and get out -- needed to seat that remaining couple! In the meantime, we ordered a bottle of red wine (beer & wine only). Warning: I can recall no bottle on the wine list for less than $40 and there are many that are well over $100. Our wine, a Valpolicella Ripasso, was nice -- $62. We shared, at the waiter's suggestion, the $18 antipasto. Nice dried meats, a couple bits of cheese, two slices of eggplant, some grilled fennel, onions, a tiny squid. One shrimp. I mean, come on, add a shrimp. Or make it two squid. Something. Anyway. The entrees were good. Veal Scallopini crisp and light texture out and tender in. Fettucini with meat and seafood a bit deceiving: the seafood was shrimp (only shrimp) and the meat was a very soft italian sausage in lumps, heavy on the fennel. The pasta was a bit soft. The mushrooms and peas were very fresh, but the sauce was extremely rich and overwhelmed all but the sausage. We skipped dessert and coffee. The next time we spend that kind of money on dinner, we'll go someplace where they don't even think of seating you in the kitchen. Or under the A/C. Or hurry you through your meal. But, it's real Italian, so this may be the place for you, even if it's not for us.