“A hidden GEM on Sanibel”
Review of Il Tesoro

Il Tesoro
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: San-Cap Road
Description: IL Tesoro Ristorante, the restaurant name which means ,"the Treasure" in Italian, features authentic Italian cuisine with a modern sophisticated touch using only the freshest seasonal ingredients. Enjoy a festive experience in a Bistro-style setting, with hundreds of Italian wines and dozens of original oil paintings decorating the walls. Open kitchen flair is added enjoyment of the evening as you can watch your dinner being carefully prepared. Our menu is the total creation of Chef/Owner, AJ Black, where his motto reigns supreme, “Fresh Ingredients, simplicity, love are the recipe for a treasured dining experience."
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We visit Sanibel every year and look for new restaurants. We discovered Il Tesoro when we found one of our favorites was closed. A bit hidden on Tarpon Bay Road, but an excellent menu , pleasant staff and outstanding cuisine. We will return for sure!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

First time. A pleasant surprise. Fresh, inventive, fine Italian cuisine. Lobster appetizer to die for. Main course short ribs with gnocci was delicious. Lamb Osso Buco amazing. Tiramisu tasted fresh, light and lovely. Can't wait to come back!!

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Wanted to like this place since the menu sounded delish and creative. The grilled calamari salad was tasty and a good start-Did not realize that the oven roasted Duck, as presented on the menu, would be medallions drenched in the port wine reduction or that it would be laced with truffle oil..it was a muddled mess. My date ordered the entree special of black squid linguine and seafood and ended up with another order of plain pasta with tomato sauce and seafood. Server responded with "we're out of the squid ink pasta but it's basically the same thing" instead of allowing the customer to decide on another choice. Also finding out later that we were charged for the higher priced pasta dish that wasn't received secured the fact we won't be re-visiting or recommending. (Date was so angry at that point he just wanted to leave and not ruin the rest of the evening). Recommend tweaking the menu with more precise, detailed descriptions and explain to staff that patrons should choose dinner replacements.

5  Thank heronp
iltesoro, Owner at Il Tesoro, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

I apologize as I was not made aware of your disappointment, the server has been replaced because of the repeated bad comments on service, if she would have taken time to be sure you were happy instead of visiting or thinking she was making friends, as I do remember how fabulous you were and how excited you were to try us, the server simply said to me as I asked if all was well and her comment was," sure they're fine we are having a nice time" so I am truely sorry that it took this review to put the nail in it so to speak. Please forgive the off night and I have made it clear again and again to policy that guests are her for us to make them as happy as possible and of course choose their replacements and get a clear description of dishes especially if you have never eaten here.
Hope to see you back, i'd like to make it up to you and your friend so we can become real friends that we take care of.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

My family and I dined at Il Tesoro Ristorante in June. We loved it! The food was fresh and full of flavor. The wine pairing suggested by our wait staff was spot on. And with such an intimate/cozy setting … we just couldn’t make the move to get up from our table to leave. It was very much a positive family dining room experience. Keep up the great work! Thank you !!!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

The place is small, tables are small and they allocated the 5 of us, in a table for maximum 4 people. Waiters paid much more attention to other tables. Had to ask for high chair twice, had to ask once for the bread when we saw that they were bringing it to customers arrived after us, they forgot to bring us the wine, and ad to ask for it, when the main courses arrived. My son rated grilled chicken as good. My daughter rated pasta with butter good (difficult to mess up that), my wife rated the rack of lamb good. I rate my lamb ossobuco as average and too expensive (If not mistaken is probably the most expensive item in the menu). May be for a couple, the experience can be better. I do not exclude that. For us it was not good, and we left without ordering the dessert. Total bill $180 including $27 for tip.

1  Thank Artbusca