“Worst stay ever”
Review of Sunset Beach Inn

Sunset Beach Inn
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Reviewed September 28, 2013

This trip was bad from the start of checking in.I booked a room with two beds as I was traveling with my daughter. When I got there there were no rooms with 2 beds available. Since it was prepaid I asked him what he was going to do and he said he would give us two separate rooms. After agreeing to this we decided to go to dinner and when we returned we walked out to the beach which was very nice. While bringing our luggage to our separate rooms my daughter noticed a big bug lying on the floor with its feet still moving in one of the rooms. Decided we would have to share the bed in the other room since we were both sooo tired from diving for the last 12 hours. My daughter went to use the bathroom and the toilet wouldn't flush. We tried fixing it ourselves for about 10 ten minutes but to no avail. I got dressed again and we walked down to the desk and told him about the bug in the one room and the toilet in the other and all he had to say was that there was no one there to fix it. So now we were down to 0 rooms. I asked again what he was going to do about it and he said he had no more rooms but would call another one of the motels in his chain. After 2 calls they said they had one room left and the price was $159.00. Well I booked my room for $109.00 and a asked him if he was going to give me that room for the same price and he said no!! So we went back to the room and while calling the Holiday Inn to book a room (at 10:00 pm.)the toilet started working. It needed about 20 minutes to fill up I guess. I usually only write about good experiences on trips but this was definitely not one of them. Very disappointed on such a pretty island.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank kim f

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We planned a long family weekend here, and we ended up moving to another hotel. The hotel is older. We were expecting a full kitchen so we could cook. There is ZERO counter space, not enough plates, silverware, etc to actually cook & eat a meal. The main reasons we left were twofold. One, the beds (2 queens in an ovean view room) were terribly sagged in the middle. We didn't sleep well at all. The second was a housekeeper who continued to enter the room unannounced (eating, changing clothes, etc), left wet towels and washcloths in the tub and shower without cleaning, still sand in sheets when beds were made, table and counters not washed down and then became belligerent towards us when we asked her to come back and clean. We rebooked at another nearby hotel to finish out our trip. The manager was kind and tried to make things right by offering for us to come back, but we wouldn't stay again.

Room Tip: We had an ocean view from the second floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank SRQmom38
Reviewed September 1, 2013

In July of this year, my wife and I decided to stay at the Sunset Beach Inn on Sanibel Island, FL. I recognized the hotel/motel from aerial photos and thought, hey, that's where my family & I Stayed back in 1973-74 when I was a kid. It would be cool to go back there. I remember the big pool, big rooms and new friends made there. Well, that memory soon faded after arriving at the Sunset Beach Inn (Formerly known in the 1970's as the Jolly Roger).

Upon arrival, the staff (two women at the front desk) couldn't have been more disinterested or rude. Absolutely not friendly or welcoming. I thought, okay they're having a tough day. We checked in, the coffee maker burner was totally rusted out. I asked for another and you'd thought I asked for the world. They complied, but not without being snippy, sarcastic and condescending. In the room was a big stain and peeling pain on the ceiling where water had been introduced. Luckily no rainwater in the room. The pool was unusable. It was completely clouded over, like trying to see through a plastic gallon milk container. I could not see my hand in front of me. Swimming laps in the big pool was out. There were several tiles missing along the walls where one could easily cut their hand/foot, getting out of the pool or touching a wall. A/C unit in the room was very loud; had to use my earplugs to sleep both nights. Continental breakfast was horrible. Meager pre-packaged Danish and muffins (the kind you find at Walmart and minimal variety. Their fresh fruit consisted of whole apples. Who eats apples for breakfast? Rooms are good size but need some updating.

When I received an unsolicited survey from the corporation that owns several other hotels on the island. I responded in honesty and earnestness. The Director of Guest relations, Anthonia Smith wrote me back a letter of apology with a promise of $50.00 credit on my credit card and a 10% future discount if I would come back. She did credit my card as promised on 8/27/13, and not that I would have returned for the 10% discount anyway. The two nights at this joint averaged about $150.00 per night. Way too much for an outdated motel with poor amenities and disinterested staff. I've always thought the best way to avenge this kind of experience is simply by never returning, just like at restaurants; but thanks to Trip Advisor, you also get to know of another's experience. So very disappointed in the Sunset Beach Inn. Wish it could have been a happy memory after 40 years.

Room Tip: They pictures speak a thousand words (or something like that), but it's not always true. Don...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Kip M
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Pros- nice quiet location close to beach, nice standard pool, roomy family suites, helpful staff, free bikes
Cons- breakfast, laundry room, both so-so. Had a nice screened pourch that was basically useless due to loud AC units.
We stayed here for three nights to unwind from four days at Disney. I wish we had skipped Disney and just gone to Sanibel!! This resort was clean, quiet, and a great value for the price we paid! We have three older kids and the suite gave us two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a fold out couch. We also had a full fridge and functional kitchen. They also gave us enough towels for a family of five. You can walk for miles either way on the beach just steps from the hotel.Would absolutely stay again!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Best of luck if you stay at the Sunset Beach Inn.
First you could endanger your health as the split level rooms ( 5 of them, 140 through 144?) have a moldy dehumidifier, peeling paint and gross carpeting. I will not mention the squeaky beds that felt damp when we sat on them... The "ceiling windows" have a view of -the lawn.
Second,the dirtiness was an issue for us. The gutter gushes so close to your room you could shower in it, we should have: it would have been cleaner than the bathroom. The toilet was barely flushing. Overall the smell was unbearable. The towels were old and stained.
My sister who was given a room on the second floor just had to deal with the dirtiness of the place, the wetness of the carpet and no ocean view.
When asked how we ended up in the "buried room", Kim, front desk, smugly answered that was all they had available, that they were full; when asked how come the price of the 2 rooms was the same she said that was what Expedia ( mmmm, we used hotels.com!!!) had to offer for such a price... when reminded we paid the same price for the rooms , she blamed the greediness of the internet??? And that was what we paid for!! Indeed a moldy basement with a one foot ceiling window. Almost $200.00 in low season, even $50 bucks would have been too much. We asked for a refund or some money back but were told the internet company had our money...
The "continental breakfast was pitiful : cereal, cereal bars and stale muffins, when asked about bagels the same Kim retorted they had forgotten to thaw them.!!!
Don't bring stair challenged people as even the basement rooms have stairs to climb down.
I am considering contacting the health department and the tourism bureau as this hotel only brings shame to the otherwise incredibly beautiful Sanibel.

Room Tip: Don't book through the internet, call and ask for a room on the second or third floor if you can...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Genevieve A
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Nice place to go stay. We had a sunrise room with balcony. Had somewhat of an ocean view. Pool was nice. They have floating toys in the pool for the kids, which I thought was cool. Continental breakfast was more like an appetizer for your real meal. Looks like someone ran to Sams or Costco and picked up some things to serve. Rooms were spacious and clean. The benches at the foot of the beds had stains. Looks like someone with a wet, dark bathing suit sat down and stained the seats with dye. When checking under the bed to make sure nothing stayed behind, I noticed a coffee stain on the bed skirt. Everything else was pretty clean. Very comfy if you are staying for a while. Kitchenette has everything, including dish washing soap. they even have 2 bbq grills. They have bikes that can be used at no extra charge. Beach chairs and umbrellas also available. Bring your own beach towels!! You are literally feet away from the beach...FYI, beware of sand fleas. They are brutal!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

my husband and I were looking for a reasonable place to stay for a short getaway on Sanibel Island. We were pleasantly surprised to find the Sunset Beach in to be so modern, clean, and in a great location. tthe room was spacious and spotless. The bed was very very comfortable. The pool is lovely and large, and the beach is right there. Chairs and umbrellas are there for your convenience, which is a very nice touch. I am very particular about where I stay, & I would definitely go back to the Sunset Beach Inn!!

• Stayed: August 2013