If you booked the Sunset Beach Inn because of the great winter promotion, beware! Your $75 "resort credit" can only be used onsite for a few overpriced junky items like plastic cups, T-shirts and beach towels. It can only be used for one restaurant at a sister property miles away.
The biggest issue with the promotion is the room. The "Sanibel" room included in the discounted rate looks nothing like the bright, cheerful photos posted online with colourful linens and a screened in lanai.
These rooms are in the basement. Yes, a below grade motel room - truly a first for this world traveller! They did appear clean but it wasn't enough to overcome the dark dinginess, broken furniture and the awful smell, which we later traced to two plastic air fresheners shoved into the (extremely loud) air conditioner.
The room contained a good-sized fridge and microwave, which would have been very convenient had we stayed, however the rest of the furnishings appeared to be cast-offs from someone's dorm room. all the lamp shades were cracked, the bed covers stained and the beds themselves creaked and groaned as if they would collapse any minute.
The location itself is as close to the beach as any property on Sanibel. Although this portion of beach has been considerably washed out and storm damaged it is still stunning, easily the best feature of the property.
We did not investigate the pool area.
the main and upper floor rooms had screened lanais and may have been quite acceptable. However we did not wish to stay long enough to find out as they were unable to move us until the second night.
We stayed the first night reluctantly as, after much discussion with both the hotel and Bookit.com, with whom we had made the reservation, it was clear we would be charged for the night whether we stayed or not.
We left the next morning for the Holiday Inn Sanibel Island which, for only $40 more a night, I recommend wholeheartedly!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Sunset Beach Inn includes forty-six guestrooms and suites nestled on 4.5 acres of tropical Sanibel Island. Our 360 feet of beach along the Gulf of Mexico offers beautiful shells, tranquil sunsets and pristine sand. Relax by the pool with the Gulf of Mexico across the horizon.Each morning prepare for an activity filled day with a complimentary Continental breakfast, with an assortment of fresh fruit and breakfast breads. Play a set of tennis or ride a complimentary bicycle and explore the 23 miles of bike paths throughout Sanibel Island. Play a friendly game of volleyball with the beach just within view. Two shuffleboard courts await a challenging game near the picnic area. The resort offers two gas grills and picnic tables-perfect for a family dinner out under the graceful palms. Whether relaxation or fun filled activities are in your vacation plans, The Sunset Beach Inn provides the perfect beach getaway for families and couples. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Expedia, Otel, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Cancelon so you can book your Sunset Beach Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sanibel Sunset Beach Hotel Sanibel Island
- Sanibel Island Sunset Beach Resort
- Sanibel Sunset Beach Resort
- Sanibel Island Sunset Beach Hotel