My husband and I spent six days at the Sundial during the week of April 15th. We were surprised and frustrated to find that the resort was undergoing an extensive renovation. The lobby, restaurants and spa were all closed. We had to call our travel agent for help when the woman at the check in desk insisted that we reserved a garden view condo, not the ocean view we had requested. After 30 minutes and two phone calls from both our travel agent and the travel company he booked our trip through, we were finally given a very nice fourth floor condo with a beautiful view of the garden, pool and ocean. Customer service is definitely not a priority here... The woman we dealt with never cracked a smile or offered an apology for the mistake.
The condo was spacious, although in need of some minor paint and updating. The king bed room was separated from open concept living room/dining room/kitchen area by huge sliding bifold doors. The entire front of the condo had glass sliders that slid open to the screened in patio. We slept with the doors open every night and the wind through the palms and waves crashing on the beach made it feel like we were sleeping outside, beautiful and so relaxing!
The resort is right on miles and miles of shell covered beach. There was a "resort fee" of 15 dollars for the use of an umbrella or a bicycle.
Off the resort we took the tram tour of the Darling reservation (just okay), watched the sun set at Bowman Beach (beautiful), and took the Thriller boat ride out of Sanibel Marina (my favorite!) Pods of dolphins jumped and dove in the wake of the boat four separate times during the two hour trip around Sanibel and Captiva Islands. Definitely something to be experienced while on the island.
Although the resort was comfortable and well located, we will try a different hotel on our next visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Voted "BEST FULL SERVICE RESORT ON THE ISLANDS" and "BEST STAYCATION IN SOUTHWEST FLORIDA" for four years in a row, Sundial Beach Resort & Spa is the centerpiece of Sanibel Island, a unique barrier island on Florida's southern Gulf Coast. The island is a natural playground where visitors enjoy miles of pristine beaches, nature preserves, water sports and award winning bike paths. Awarded TripAdvisor's Certificate of Excellence, Sundial Beach Resort & Spa offers a wide array of activities and amenities for all ages including swimming in 5 heated pools, HydroGrid tennis courts, 12 new pickleball courts,cabanas, kayaks, paddle boards, bike tours, golf, organized activities, a marketplace, spa and sea school. One,two and three bedroom residences feature options for views with the conveniences of home in a tranquil, tropical setting. These Residences offer a full kitchen with housewares, living/dining area, full baths and ample space that is ideal for couples or larger families. Best of all, Sanibel's world-renowned, shell-dotted beaches are just steps away from your door. Voted Best Waterfront Dining in Southwest Florida, the resort's restaurants offer indoor and outdoor dining options and delicious menu selections. Look forward to an authentic experience as your dinner is artfully prepared right before your eyes at Shima Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar, the area's only Japanese steakhouse. Shima's Grab N Go provides take out sushi for those on the go. Sea Breeze Cafe offers casual dining and local, fresh ingredients with a true Sanibel Island tropical flair overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. Sundial's tiki-style poolside eatery, Turtle's Pool & Beach Bar, serves up delicious signature drinks at the bar and family-friendly patio. Slice of Paradice provides the perfect poolside venue for tasty treats such as pizza, ice-cream, hotdogs and salads- perfect for beach-goers and sunset strollers. A daily resort fee includes the use of beach umbrellas and chairs, beach towels, kayaks, paddleboards, bicycles, beach volleyball, fitness center, wifi, organized activities and tennis & pickleball court access. In addition to being voted Best Full Service Resort and Best Staycation, the resort has been regionally recognized for Best Event Facilities, Best Chef, Best Server, Best Happy Hour, Best New Restaurant, Best Sushi, Best Tiki Bar, Best Waterfront Dining and Best Tennis on the Islands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sundial Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sundial Beach And Golf Resort
- Sundial Beach & Golf Hotel Sanibel Island
- Sundial Beach Hotel
- Sundial Beach Resort
- Sundial Beach Sanibel Island
- Sundial Sanibel Island