“Great little cottage!”

Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Orlando, Florida
“Great little cottage!”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We stayed in the little cottage - separate building. Even though it was small, it was very cute and cozy! About 7 minute walk to the beach - across the street. We truly enjoyed the visit. Very quiet and relaxing.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Natalya L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Middletown, Ohio
Reviewed February 21, 2014

For anyone who has ever went to the Parrot Nest in Sanibel Island, I am sure you will agree with my assessment. We returned there again this year as in the past 7 years, only to find that Brenda and Lenny were no longer there as the Innkeepers. They were so warm and friendly and no matter what the need was, they came up with it. Had a very family oriented way of dealing with the guests. They were the reason that we kept returning to the Parrot Nest....thus we were shocked when we returned and they were not there. We visited other inns this year to hear nothing but good things about Brenda and Lenny....what a loss to the Parrot Nest and to the guests. Brenda and Lenny MADE the Parrot Nest what it is.......we will not be returning to the Parrot Nest as I do not like paying for my stay at a place when the help is not treated well.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Becki K
Shauna591, Manager at Parrot Nest, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
I have worked on Sanibel Island for over 15 years in the small Inn and motel industry.I also worked many years ago at Parrot Nest(with the owner before now) and am very excited to be back (December 2014) it's kind of full circle for me. I must also say at this point, I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion and encouraged to do so. Upon my return to the Parrot, I was pleasantly surprised at the many changes that have been made.. But most importantly, that the owners had kept it the way it has always been with the casual, simple, no frills, laid back atmosphere that so many have and continue to enjoy at the Parrot, it is what it is known for.
I apologize that the previous managers were not there, I am sure after seven years you had all become quite close as in any friendship!
My hope, along with the owners for the Parrot Nest is to maintain what was created so many years ago, keep it the simple quiet place so many have enjoyed and hope for the same friendships with the guests you acquired in your stays for all those years.
Again, Thank you for your feedback!
Salisbury, Dorset, England
Reviewed February 11, 2014

This is a sort of quirky quiet island motel with no on site staff. We enjoyed it very much indeed, but if you want on site managers this is not the place for you. We were in Room 5 which was huge, recently renovated I would say, with a very good king bed, well equipped kitchen and a good bathroom. The linens were good quality as were the towels. There is no daily room service, you do it yourself, but you know that when you book. It was very good value for money on a very expensive island. You park right outside your room which was good. In room 5 you have your own outside patio. It was totally silent at night and we slept well. The laundry was a bonus, we were very pleased to get our washing done after a month of travelling around Florida. We liked the beach vibe and the pink paint and the whole relaxed atmosphere of the Parrots Nest. It was a bonus that we could walk to The Lighthouse and the deli's and the ice cream shop (great muffins there by the way!)

Room Tip: Room 5 was great!
1 Thank Coolkoala
Cape Charles, Virginia
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I really want to say that everything is wonderful here as in stays several years ago but something just isn't in synch. The location is great since it's on the West end of the island and away from the congestion and noise. Lighthouse Café, ice cream store and West End Deli are within extremely easy walking distance. But, something's missing and I suspect it's because management is in transition. Shawna manages two properties and the Kona Kai demands most of her time. Unit 1 was clean but the remote for the number mattress wasn't working and the problem never got fixed during our stay. Drapes in Unit 1 are in desperate need of replacement. Kitchen is adequately outfitted though the kitchen in Unit 3 where we had to move since our flight home got cancelled is much better equipped and Unit 3 doesn't have a cooktop or a kitchen sink. The lack of daily housekeeping doesn't bother us but outside furniture was covered with debris. One grill was broken and folks in another unit complained about the noise made by the refrigerator. Access to washer and dryer is a plus although one of the dryers was eating quarters during our stay. So, if you are low maintenance and can overlook some rough edges you would probably enjoy a stay here.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 2 are in the back opening unto the common area. Not a problem during our stay but noise...
2 Thank mtm221
Venice, Florida
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Stayed here in January 2014.

Nice sized room, helpful staff (when you can locate them) but the place is tired, like most of the cottages in the area. Good value for money, spacious rooms with full size fridge. Appliances are noisy.

There might be better places for the price but I enjoyed my time here.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice - I liked #5
3 Thank Dave T
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This is a lovely place. We have stayed there the past 8 years. But this year we when we went we were told the inn keepers would not be coming back! What a HUGH mistake on the owners part. We have only returned to this lovely spot because of the care takers. Brenda and Lenny became like family. Because of their caring, concern for our stay, and just general friendliness they became family. I'm sure a lot of other people felt this way. As much as I love the Parrot Nest, I will not go back again. I will find another place to stay. Do yourself a favor, visit Sanibel, but do not put yourself in the care of the new inn keeps. There was something really wrong with the situation, and I refuse to stay where things are done dirty. Brenda and Lenny are upstanding people and deserved better. I have referred many people, but no more. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you want to take out your own trash, and never get a bed change or even someone to check on you...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Pam D
Winter Springs, Florida
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I love to leave reviews for everything, so I will be thorough. I'm from Florida and love to explore new places here.
First off if you mind washing your own dishes, sweeping your own floor or making your own bed, don't stay here. This place is for people who like nature, quiet and to be left alone.

Pros: Room very clean, well-organized, functional, comfortable, tasteful and charming decor. Original features like traditional old Florida windows, exposed wood and tile floors. My husband and I love to cook, and this island is in a way made for that. I mentioned this to Denise who very graciously provided a plug-in stove which worked very well for breakfast, and dinner. Lunch we got take-out from the deli and supermarket and ate it at the beach. The bed was very comfortable, pillows very fluffy. Lulu, the housekeeper on the premises, was very polite and introduced herself and offered us anything we might need. It is a very laid back environment, so I helped myself to what I needed....I remade my bed because of no-see-ums (more on that later). The hotel is within walking distance to a nice ice cream shop and bakery, off the main road and also easy to find. Nice tropical foliage and a hammock I used to help my 5-month old fall asleep for naps :) My husband and I played mini-golf as we took turns pushing the hammock. Full-sized fridge was also in the room, and it makes a huge difference over the little mini fridges. The kitchenette was also equipped with dishes, silverware, cookware, dish rack, soap, sponge, towels and toaster. Of course coffeemaker, coffee and sugar. Everything very clean...I emphasize that because I brought my own cleaning supplies, yes, I'm one of those people. It was my birthday and there were cupcakes waiting for me, which was a very nice detail. I really loved the fact that I could get what I needed for my stay (beach chairs, towels, books, etc) without having to wait or pay. There is also a washer and dryer on site, very handy. There are plenty of grills and sitting areas to have a nice BBQ if that's your thing.

Cons: No see-ums. Beware and buy some strong OFF with DEET. Spray everything. They are everywhere, sadly, and can be a real turn off. Somehow I got some on the bed and that's why I changed my sheets, I think I got it the worst (because I didn't douse myself in poison as I am nursing my son)- my back, arms, legs, feet, thighs and abdomen are covered in bites, that ITCH like crazy. However, they are everywhere on the island, so it is not a review on the hotel itself.
The only thing I can see that needs improving is the hotel landscaping. Nothing fancy needed, but a good clean-up and tree trimming would do some good. In front of our room there was a heaping pile of leaves and such, I mean I know Florida so to me it's whatever, but it needs a good clean-up. The big burner on the stove didn't work, but I can cook on anything, and I got a pot of rice and beans, cooked chicken, and made a full breakfast...with cafe con leche. Just saying. A light in the outdoor porch would be nice, but I know it will only attract more bugs, so I understand if that is the rationale for no light.

My husband, baby and I had a lovely stay and we were talking about inviting the family and maybe renting out all 6 units (big family), the kids (9 kids total) would love the bike trails to the beach!

A few tips if you've never been to Sanibel:
-If you're driving bring as much of your own stuff as you can, everything is sold at a premium because it's an island.
-Make sure you take the drive out to Captiva, it is beautiful!
-If you've never been to Florida, know that it can rain at any time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family