“Cult following...great coffee”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sanibel Bean

Sanibel Bean
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Toronto
“Cult following...great coffee”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

We have been going to Sanibel for March Break for years. I have been getting a morning cup of delicious coffee at the Bean for just as long. Simple, very no frills shop with ample parking out front. The place is a bit quirky...they never have the same coffee 2 days in a row, and the signs don't ever seem to indicate whether or not the coffee is dark roasted or not, I always have to ask. There is a dining room of sorts where people can sit and eat their bagels/coffee, as well as a small outdoor patio that is always full. Only issue is getting into and out of the parking lot if there is a lot of traffic. The coffee is all fair trade. There are slicker operations with fancier facilities, but folks love the bean for the coffee and the atmosphere. The walls are covered with people holding up their "I love the bean" bumper stickers in all 4 corners of the earth. I recently carried one to the top of Kilimanjaro for a good travel shot. I don't know any other place with such a cult following. The Bean is great for that. Probably the best coffee to be had on the island.

LaSalle, Canada
“Coffee to go ! Excellent!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

A different coffee each day - ALL excellent!
My husband was the pick up guy - he says there was a bit of a wait . I was glad he did ! Don't miss the Sanibel Bean coffee at the Ft. Myer's airport also !

Visited March 2013
Mississauga
“Need more staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We have been coming to the "Bean" on Sanibel for over 10 years. In the past it has been the focal point of our afternoon bike rides with good coffee and fresh fare. It is the kind of place that had strong allegiances with people who would send back pictures of themselves with the Sanibel Bean signs from all over the world. Unfortunately it seems those days are gone. The coffee making staff seems to not understand how to make the drinks and the service is very slow. We waited 20 minutes for a grill cheese sandwich and there was only 5 other people in the store. Thankfully, we found the coffee bar at Bailey's general store does better. It is a shame to see the great fall.

1 Thank mtbtravels
Nashville, Tennessee
“I'm so glad they aren't the only coffee shop on island”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Back in the day, the sanibel bean was the ONLY coffee shop on sanibel, so they had an excuse to be busy and rude (ALMOST). But now that the coffee bar @ bailey's is there, they still have NO customer service, horrible coffee and long wait times - with no excuse! They need to step up their game for sure, because they have a horrible product with no customer service.

I straight up had a girl tell me that i didn't order what i said i did - even though it's the same drink i order anywhere i get coffee! There are other options (My favorite is the Coffee bar @ bailey's, personally)... so don't ruin your gorgeous sanibel morning with a bad cup of coffee and a bad attitude :) don't do the bean!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank reneec156
Sanibel Island, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rude, Rude, Rude!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

I live on the island & went to the Sanibel Bean today after the Shell Festival. First, I wasn't given a "number" by the girl at the register that I didn't know I needed. But after figuring this out, I watched for the people in front of me to be served & then only 1 of the 2 items I payed for was placed for pick up. After the gentlemen in line behind me was served, I spoke to the guy behind the counter & told him part of my order had been missed. His attitude basically told me it wasn't his problem & then he went on to make the next order & left me standing there, completely ignoring me. As I stood there waiting & watching, I couldn't believe how rude & uncaring the service people were to the customers. Couldn't tell you if the coffee was good....never got what I ordered. Linda, Sanibel, FL

1 Thank Lindarp66