Best Western Plus Sanford Airport/Lake Mary Hotel
Marriott Hotels
Very Good 4/5
Agoda.com
Good 3.5/5
All reviewssanford airportfront deskan early morning flightcontinental breakfastshuttle serviceroom was cleanfree shuttlewould stay againstayed here for one nightrental carchecking invery nice hotelbagelsstaff was friendlybooked this hotelfloridaaccommodations
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Me and my family have stayed at this hotel several times when it was a Holiday Inn Express and this hotel has been remodeled and switched to a best western. I have to say,the hotel looks 110% with a modern feel. The staff is always,friendly and very helpful. Samantha and Diana went out of there way to help myself and my family to print our bording passes for a flight out the next morning. Samantha picked us up from the airport in there free shuttle so we would not have,to worry about returning the rental car in the morning before our flight home. They also dropped us off at a nearby resturant which they suggested Patio Grill which have great food and then they picked us back up. This hotel may have gotten some bad reviews while under construction but it looks great now. I would recommend this hotel based on friendly service and great updated rooms. My family and i will return to the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Bigbrotherfan12
Nikesh S, Manager at Best Western Plus Sanford Airport/Lake Mary Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with the Best Western PLUS Sanford Airport. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Renovations being made when I stayed there and the room poorly cleaned before allowing guests to stay - the management could have done a greater job there. I also had to sleep with earplugs because of the very noisy air conditioner in the room. On to the included breakfast - I would skip that one. The shuttle service was the best thing about my whole experience - it was very good.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

I am so sorry for the issues that you experienced during your stay during our renovation. I hope you can forgive us, and come back and try us again, now that we have renovated and have worked out the issues. Please contact me directly next time you are planning on coming into town and I will make sure you have taken care of. Once again I apologize for the inconvenience this caused during your stay.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is written based on my senior citizen traveler parents, who never looked at reviews before booking a hotel. They needed to stay here in order to catch a plane at the Sanford airport to Pennsylvania for an early flight. There are pros and cons, which may be helpful for the next patrons.
We drove in a week earlier to check on the location and parking arrangements since never stayed here. Talked to Angel personally at this time and did not know the extent of construction status and parking. Told we can leave the car there for $6 night which is better than $12 at the airport. So didn't really know there may be issues when finally stayed. No indications from employees.
Once we finally arrived a week later.. the owner was at the front desk when we signed in and he told us we could not park the car onsite because of paving the parking lot. We had to take the car to the airport and pay $12 daily and get a shuttle back to the hotel. There was no offer to give us some renumeration because of the inconvenience having to leave our car at the airport being we are keeping it there 5 nights.
We were put in a room that may have not been finished yet... having construction experience Dad hoped they would fix some of the room amenities before new occupancy..overheard that they should have shut down and finish before getting customers to stay. The phone was not operating and we only noticed that when we didn't get our wake up call. Good thing Mom was up at 4:30AM with travel adrenaline. The phone # on the phone was different than their room number. The one wall socket did not have a cover..,and the lamp could not be plugged in because there was no outlet nearby. There was no remote in the room, so had to go to the desk again for that,maybe because the new LG TV was brand new. The hand towels looked a little yellow., They were working round the clock to get the job done for new hotel, but at 9pm they were hanging pictures in the hall. Little noisy. The installation of bathroom sink and countertop were unfinished, glue & caulk issues. Did not see certificate of occupancy on room door. This was the first room off the front area. This was a 3 diamond on AAA book so we looked into it.
On the good side, the shuttle driver recommended a good place to eat (Patio Grill) and took us there & back. Breakfast was ok being early and all employees pleasant. Both shuttle drivers Alex & Christina were very accomodating. Christina was breakfast cook and then had to shuttle us to airport at 530AM.. There were nice new Cuisinart coffee pot, microwave and Avanti refrigerator in our room. We may stay here again when it is the Best Western, but there should have been finished rooms on the first floor which we requested due to walking issues.....Wait until finished or make do with accomodations...

Room Tip: Wait and see
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EaZexcursions
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Sanford Airport/Lake Mary Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear EaZexcursions,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations, and I apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced because of the ongoing renovations. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Janice A

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We were told this was the best place to stay if we needed to catch a shuttle to the airport. I called the hotel to make reseravations personally and informed them that I had 3 young children and would need a double bed as well as a roll away cot. This was not a problem, but I was never informed that the hotel was under construction... and not a minor cosmetic facelift! Garbage and debris is piled up all around the outside as we drove up, the pool furniture was tossed in a heap in the corner, the guest patio tent (pictured in their stock photo) is broken and several construction workers were sitting there at all hours. When we tried to ask about an early check in at 1pm, I had to stand at the front door and yell my request to the woman at the front counter, because a construction worker was attempting to chip out tiles, the woman didnt even get up from her stool and said timat we were not allowed to check in until 3pm. Ok, I understand the possibility that all rooms may have been booked, so I asked if there was a bell closet where I could check our one suitcase and my kids and I would walk somewhere to eat. She said, No, they were having a party in that room and would not be able to store our bag for us. So my husband, 3 kids & I sat in the dirty lobby with the construction workers. Until she realized we were just going to sit there and after about 20 minutes I watched her make a phone call and say she needed a double right away.

The halls on every floor are lined with new items going into rooms and old items for trash. Construction workers up and down every hal, tools, litter and empty cigarette boxes littering the way to our room. One there, we had no working phone, mold and mildew on showerhead and walls, holes in the sheet rock, the peep hole on the door was missing and in its place a tissue was wadded up, the roll away bed frame was so large it could not be opened in any area of the room, there was a slime buildup coming from the mini fridge, all the screws were missing from every outlet and switch, rust, dirt & holes abounded in the room. AND THIS WAS A REFINISHED ROOM! There were printed signs taped to every possible doorway mentioning the obvious construction that was underway, but that in no way excuses a rude front desk manager or the unsafe environment that we encountered. $130 wasted. The only pleasant person we met was a housekeeper on the elevator on our way out. I'm attaching photos of our room as well.

• Stayed: May 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Sanford Airport/Lake Mary Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

Dear leonore76,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you have experienced during your stay. The ongoing renovations is for us to meet the changing needs of our valued guests like you. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Be aware that construction is still going on at this hotel as of 4/25/13. I have a reservation here in July for flying out of Sanford the next morning - the best, closest place for that. When I went on the hotel web site the 'would-recommend' and 'would-not-recommend' comments were running about even, with a lot of management apologies posted as well. Construction was one issue, so I called for some details. Construction was to be completed the end of April (from Holiday Inn review comments & answers). I was told it will now be May 20 (construction goes like that). I was also told it will then become a Best Western. I didn't ask why but hopefully HIE will post something on their site rather than letting us grope in the dark. However, I will be checking for more recent reviews and postings before my July stay.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GKMorrison
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Sanford Airport/Lake Mary Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear GKMorrison,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the construction going on. I understand the discomfort this caused you. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.