“"A great local cafe!"”

The Corner Cafe
Ranked #2 of 220 Restaurants in Sanford
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Soups
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: S. Park Ave
Description: The Corner Cafe` is located in Historic Downtown Sanford, Florida. At the intersection of 1st Street & Park Ave, this charming bistro specializes in unique and delicious fare at an affordable price. Grilled Sandwiches, Fresh-Beautiful Salads & Scratch Made Soups are served through lunch (M-Sat), while a handcrafted menu of Chicken, Beef, Pork & Shrimp are offered at dinner(Th-Sat). Delicious Smothies, a full seletion of Coffee Drnks, Freshly Brewed Tea, Ice Cold Beer and Califonia Wines are available every day & night!
Deltona, Florida
“"A great local cafe!"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

This cafe strives to be an important part of downtown. Always met with a friendly geeting as you prepare to enjoy some of the best sandwiches, soups and salads! There's also a great selection of coffee and smoothies. Never disappointed in this gem of Sanford.

Visited November 2012
Jody H, Owner at The Corner Cafe, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review! Michael is passionate about letting people know what a wonderful little town Sanford really is, and he loves getting to meet (and feed!) the people who visit. Thank you for coming!
Jody

geneva, florida
“Great Soup”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

THese guys serve up a mean cup of soup and I also love there beef and blue salad. Nice clean atmosphere and friendly service.

• Visited October 2012
Elkridge, Maryland
“Nice experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

We visited on Saturday Nov 10th at lunchtime. Great food served by friendly, attentive staff. We all had sandwiches and they were delicious.

Apopka, Florida
“Best lunch in Sanford, FL”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

This was a diamond in the rough find for my hubby and I. I had the french onion soup and he had the cuban sandwich. Both meals were delicious. Then, to our surprise, we were served a free banana pudding dessert, which was also delicious. The service was just like being at home or with friends. They paid attention to detail and truly wanted the dining experience to be perfect, even though it was only lunch. This is definitely a place we will frequent for lunch when in Sanford, and I hope we can try out dinner in the not too distant future. Thank you!

South Florida, Florida
“NO WATER FOR YOU!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

This is a cute place on the main street through downtown Sanford. There is indoor and outdoor seating. You order at a counter, and they bring it to you. The inside was cute and clean - and that's the only nice things I have to say about it. Believe me, it pains me to write a bad review.

This was one of the worst dining experiences I have had (but, the food was okay). First, it was not vegetarian-friendly - all meat sandwiches - but, I can live with that. They did have a grilled cheese, so that worked for me. I ordered a grilled cheese and a tomato soup (which was vegan). It was a 3-cheese sandwich and I don't like muenster cheese, so I said leave it off. All is well - so far. I don't drink sodas or tea; I am a water girl. Tap water. Good old tap water. No plastic bottled water; no sparking water - just tap water - or out of a garden hose! So, I asked the guy for a cup of water. He handed me some crappy bottled water that I didn't want. I told him - just tap water - I'm NOT buying bottled water (I don't waste plastic by buying water in it). He went into this long, obnoxious rant about how they don't give out water - a rule of the owner. Something about people stealing sugar and lemons and making their own lemonade, and some other nonsense. WHAT? I wasn't going to make lemonade (I don't like lemonade), I just wanted water. I finally agreed to buy some sweet tea (it was good), but only because I couldn't get water. I have never, never, never been in any establishment that wouldn't give you water. WTF? For Seinfeld-watchers, I felt like I was trapped in an episode of the "Soup Nazi": "NO WATER FOR YOU!!"

When I got my credit card receipt, I saw he charged me $1 for the muenster cheese I had left off. WHAT? I left it off - I didn't add it! I asked him about it and he said, oops, sorry, and to give him the card back and he would do a credit. Credit for a dollar? Just give me the dollar, dude. I said forget it - and he did. No refund of the dollar. (If you go here, watch your credit card receipt.)

So, my meal comes. It was a basic grilled cheese - on marble rye. It was okay, but certainly not worth the $8 price tag. The tomato soup would have been fantastic - HAD IT BEEN HOT. Or, even warm. Or even lukewarm. It was, at best, room temperature (and it was not Gazpacho). Come on, how hard is it to heat soup?

I also ordered an espresso that never came out. I was sitting outside, so I went in and asked for it and the guy said I didn't pay for an espresso and tried to charge me for it. No, no, no - I HAD paid for it! I had him pull up my credit card receipt, and sure enough, there WAS a charge for the espresso (along with the $1 they cheated me out of). He then made a weak shot of espresso.

Because of the water issue, I will never be back here. Never. I do not understand a restaurant that won't give out water. There was a faucet right behind the guy - all he had to do was hold a cup under it and fill it with water. That's all - simple - and you have a happy customer instead of one who is angry about it and writing a bad review. Believe me, I totally understand a business owner wanting to maximize his profits; but, I wasn't asking for free stuff - I just wanted plain, old water. In hindsight, I wish I had left and not eaten there afer being told I couldn't have water.

All in all, the meal was edible; just not great. And, if the owner is reading this, I have 3 suggestions: 1) give people water when they ask for it - it costs you nothing and it makes them happy; 2) heat your soup; 3) don't charge customers a $1 extra when they say hold the muenster cheese.

Oh, the VERY BEST part of coming to this cafe was leaving it and going 3 stores down to a shop called The Sweet Spot Bakery - OMG, the BEST little desserts. I am going to write a review of it soon. Trust me - out of this world delicious!

13 Thank tczig
Jody H, Owner at The Corner Cafe, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Though we do not advertise as a vegetarian restaurant, The Corner Cafe offers many options for Vegetarians. Any of our freshly-made salads can be made so as to please those who choose not to eat meat, eggs, or dairy products, and the Tomato Florentine soup is indeed Vegan. Please, don't ever hesitate to let someone know that your soup is not to the correct temperature. It gives the restauranteur the opportunity to immediately correct it, and to uncover why it was not right in the first place. We make every effort to ensure that each experience is a good one and rely on every customer's feedback in order to do so.

While our cashier followed proper procedure in his offer to refund the dollar that was charged to your credit card, we are truly sorry for the error.

Regarding your suggestion that we give customers tap water since it "costs us nothing".... please know each month, we pay for water, the cost of the machine that makes ice, the filters for the ice machine, the electricity that powers it, the cup that holds the water, the straw that everyone wants with the water, the employee's time to serve you, and yes, the slice of lemon that people use to cover the taste of less than appealing tap water. Our position is this: we would much rather offer an affordable selection of soups, salads and sandwiches, some of the best sweet tea to be found (priced less than most other restaurants and bottomless to boot), and very affordable $1 bottles of water for those who do not drink tea or soda, than to build that cost into the price of everyone's meal.

Chef Michael has read this review and would like to offer you a full-bodied cup of Espresso on the house next time you are in town. Thank you for your time. We continually strive for excellence, and with your help, we are one step closer.