“NO WATER FOR YOU!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: S. Park Ave
Description: The Corner Cafe, rated one of the best restaurants in Sanford, FL, is located in Historic Downtown Sanford, Florida at the intersection of 1st & Park. This charming bistro specializes in unique and delicious, handmade fare at an affordable price. Known for their killer Cuban Sandwich, French Onion Soup in a toasted bread bowl and stunning Salads, The Corner Cafe serves a variety of Grilled Sandwiches, Fresh-Beautiful Salads & Scratch Made Soups (M-Sat) from 11:00 - 4:00. Delicious Smoothies, a full selection of Coffee Drinks, Freshly-Brewed Tea, Ice Cold Beer and California Wines are available as well. The Corner Cafe offers Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten-free options as well. Sit at an outside table to enjoy the view of the Historic Downtown streets. You can even bring Fido!
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This is a cute place on the main street through downtown Sanford. There is indoor and outdoor seating. You order at a counter, and they bring it to you. The inside was cute and clean - and that's the only nice things I have to say about it. Believe me, it pains me to write a bad review.

This was one of the worst dining experiences I have had (but, the food was okay). First, it was not vegetarian-friendly - all meat sandwiches - but, I can live with that. They did have a grilled cheese, so that worked for me. I ordered a grilled cheese and a tomato soup (which was vegan). It was a 3-cheese sandwich and I don't like muenster cheese, so I said leave it off. All is well - so far. I don't drink sodas or tea; I am a water girl. Tap water. Good old tap water. No plastic bottled water; no sparking water - just tap water - or out of a garden hose! So, I asked the guy for a cup of water. He handed me some crappy bottled water that I didn't want. I told him - just tap water - I'm NOT buying bottled water (I don't waste plastic by buying water in it). He went into this long, obnoxious rant about how they don't give out water - a rule of the owner. Something about people stealing sugar and lemons and making their own lemonade, and some other nonsense. WHAT? I wasn't going to make lemonade (I don't like lemonade), I just wanted water. I finally agreed to buy some sweet tea (it was good), but only because I couldn't get water. I have never, never, never been in any establishment that wouldn't give you water. WTF? For Seinfeld-watchers, I felt like I was trapped in an episode of the "Soup Nazi": "NO WATER FOR YOU!!"

When I got my credit card receipt, I saw he charged me $1 for the muenster cheese I had left off. WHAT? I left it off - I didn't add it! I asked him about it and he said, oops, sorry, and to give him the card back and he would do a credit. Credit for a dollar? Just give me the dollar, dude. I said forget it - and he did. No refund of the dollar. (If you go here, watch your credit card receipt.)

So, my meal comes. It was a basic grilled cheese - on marble rye. It was okay, but certainly not worth the $8 price tag. The tomato soup would have been fantastic - HAD IT BEEN HOT. Or, even warm. Or even lukewarm. It was, at best, room temperature (and it was not Gazpacho). Come on, how hard is it to heat soup?

I also ordered an espresso that never came out. I was sitting outside, so I went in and asked for it and the guy said I didn't pay for an espresso and tried to charge me for it. No, no, no - I HAD paid for it! I had him pull up my credit card receipt, and sure enough, there WAS a charge for the espresso (along with the $1 they cheated me out of). He then made a weak shot of espresso.

Because of the water issue, I will never be back here. Never. I do not understand a restaurant that won't give out water. There was a faucet right behind the guy - all he had to do was hold a cup under it and fill it with water. That's all - simple - and you have a happy customer instead of one who is angry about it and writing a bad review. Believe me, I totally understand a business owner wanting to maximize his profits; but, I wasn't asking for free stuff - I just wanted plain, old water. In hindsight, I wish I had left and not eaten there afer being told I couldn't have water.

All in all, the meal was edible; just not great. And, if the owner is reading this, I have 3 suggestions: 1) give people water when they ask for it - it costs you nothing and it makes them happy; 2) heat your soup; 3) don't charge customers a $1 extra when they say hold the muenster cheese.

Oh, the VERY BEST part of coming to this cafe was leaving it and going 3 stores down to a shop called The Sweet Spot Bakery - OMG, the BEST little desserts. I am going to write a review of it soon. Trust me - out of this world delicious!

14  Thank tczig
Jody H, Owner at The Corner Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Though we do not advertise as a vegetarian restaurant, The Corner Cafe offers many options for Vegetarians. Any of our freshly-made salads can be made so as to please those who choose not to eat meat, eggs, or dairy products, and the Tomato Florentine soup is indeed Vegan. Please, don't ever hesitate to let someone know that your soup is not to the correct temperature. It gives the restauranteur the opportunity to immediately correct it, and to uncover why it was not right in the first place. We make every effort to ensure that each experience is a good one and rely on every customer's feedback in order to do so.

While our cashier followed proper procedure in his offer to refund the dollar that was charged to your credit card, we are truly sorry for the error.

Regarding your suggestion that we give customers tap water since it "costs us nothing".... please know each month, we pay for water, the cost of the machine that makes ice, the filters for the ice machine, the electricity that powers it, the cup that holds the water, the straw that everyone wants with the water, the employee's time to serve you, and yes, the slice of lemon that people use to cover the taste of less than appealing tap water. Our position is this: we would much rather offer an affordable selection of soups, salads and sandwiches, some of the best sweet tea to be found (priced less than most other restaurants and bottomless to boot), and very affordable $1 bottles of water for those who do not drink tea or soda, than to build that cost into the price of everyone's meal.

Chef Michael has read this review and would like to offer you a full-bodied cup of Espresso on the house next time you are in town. Thank you for your time. We continually strive for excellence, and with your help, we are one step closer.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

This restaurant is located in downtown Sanford. Visited for an early lunch after disembarking from the auto train stop nearby. Features homemade soups, toasted sandwiches, and salads. Had a creamy mushroom soup and a whole corned beef sandwich on a long crunchy roll. Was a real treat and a much better choice than fast food while traveling. Lunch special is a coice of salad/ 1/2 sandwich or soup/ 1/2 sandwich and add a third choice for a small additional fee. Service is fast and courteous. Will go back on next trip for lunch before boarding auto train for trip north.

1  Thank Flaming070
MICHAEL O, Owner at The Corner Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2012

Thanks guys, Its always good to see you and we hope your holiday season is safe and happy! We'll see you on the return trip :-) Chef Michael & Miss Jody

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I am amazed at some of the glowing reviews of The Corner Cafe. It is a soup and sandwich joint usually only open for lunch. The sandwiches are fine for sandwiches, the soups are ok, the atmosphere is highchair and hightop seating. If you are in Sanford and want some nice food walk East a block and go to Willow Tree or Breezeway, both of which have interesting menus and good, well prepared real food that you can consume in chairs with good service and good beverage choices.

8  Thank Allen G
Jody H, Owner at The Corner Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

The Corner Cafe is indeed a bistro-style restaurant. Here, you can order scratch made (from the stock on up) soups, Panini-style sandwiches, and freshly-made salads. Open for lunch Monday - Saturday, The Corner Cafe is also open for well-prepared, handmade dinners on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Our menu and food is carefully crafted, but if you are searching for German fare and/or great fried fish sandwiches, you won't find any better than at the Willow Tree and The Breezeway. We're glad you visit the downtown Historic District in Sanford, and we hope you continue coming to our charming little gem of a town.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

made to feel at home and part of the community. owner/chef Michael loves food, loves people, and it shows!!! gave great recommendations, food was that extra mile tasty, and I will come back here again and again.....one of those rare finds where you make this place "your haunt".

had the Cuban and it was perfect. homemade pickles elevated the flavor! also tried the French onion and was in heaven....not too salty like most places, in a huge fresh breag bowl, all from scratch like your baba used to make it. dang! they get it right!!!!!

ice tea???? please. it's the best. and I'm picky.

Thank you for your kind words! You've really hit the nail on the head (including the tea) and we can't wait to seve you again :-) Chef Michael & Miss Jody

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We ate here for the first time today with friends. The pressed cuban sandwich was excellent. I also had the baked potato soup. The owner/manager was very welcoming and helpful. Lunch combo of 1/2 sandwich and 10 oz soup is only $8. Excellent value and fresh tasting food. Will be going back.

Thanks for you kind words and we can't wait to see you again! Don't forget about our awesome dinners and Thursday, Friday & Saturday evenings :-) Chef Michael & Miss Jody