“Terrible Experience”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I took my husband and son to the new Elephant Walk hoping it was as good as the old restaurant by that name before it closed several years ago. We live in the area and It was my husband's birthday so we went hoping for a special evening.

I was so disappointed in the food. I had the Grouper Elizabeth and it was unflavorful and over-cooked. My husband had the Mahi Mahi and it was over-cooked / charred and the sauce was terrible. The vegetable side choices were all 'white' except for green beans and spinach and the garlic potatoes we ordered were just basic (hard) white mashed potatoes perhaps with a sprinkle of garlic. The wine was over-priced and the triple chocolate dessert with mousse was made with inferior chocolate -- it was not a good rich tasting chocolate and not creamy like one would have expected. It tasted like the dessert had been in the freezer for awhile. The only thing we ordered that we felt was very good was the lobster bisque.

Our waiter was young -- perhaps 20. The service he provided was ok. He was impersonal yet felt the need to keep calling us all 'guys'. It was redundant, superficial, informal and became irritating. We spent $175 for three disappointing entrees, two sides, three soups, one shared dessert and two glasses of wine ( we buy the wine we order by the bottle at the grocery store for $14 a bottle). I know some folks from out of town pay this where they're from but in our area, this is a rip off, especially for poor quality.

We always loved going to the old Elephant Walk and were excited when we heard it reopened. This is not that place. The atmosphere doesn't have the same quality charm that the old restaurant had and the food certainly is inferior. Frankly, if you're coming to our area, I'd recommend the Bonefish Grill, Cantina Loredo or Louis Louis - all have a much better meal for half the price and great atmosphere.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

The owners of Marlin Grill in the Baytowne Wharf area have renovated the former Finz location and reopened using the original name, Elephant Walk. The original had a great reputation for good food, good service, and a fabulous location.

The location is still fabulous as it overlooks the beach and Gulf of Mexico.

The restaurant has been open for several weeks and is still working out the kinks before having the official grand opening. There is much to be done to make this a success. Our dining experience was less than satisfactory.
- The waiter was still in training and had little clue as to how to efficiently do his job.
- Service was slow.
- The food was delivered in fits & starts. One entree arrived at least 5 minutes before the others. Another entree was delayed 10 minutes after the rest of the table making for a 20 minute time span for food delivery.
- The food was mediocre to terrible. I had their signature Grouper Elizabeth. It was undercooked as was the red snapper. The Coquille St. Jacques was hardly edible.
- The waiter did not know how to split the entire bill in equal parts nor how to print receipts for the individual credit cards.

This venue might last the busy summer season with business coming from uninformed tourists but the locals won't be coming back.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We had a party of ten on a not too busy Friday night at this newly re-opened restaurant. I'm not sure why the first one closed but I was impressed with the menu, decor and friendly staff. We all enjoyed a wide variety of choices of the menu and drinks. Our only problem was the apparent understaffing. Our very pleasant waitress took our orders and was prompt in getting our drinks. Unfortunately for her, she didn't appear to have any assistance. I couldn't tell from where I was sitting if there was additional wait staff outside of the bar. There is are two separate dining areas, so possibly, a large group had taken her help. Regardless, it took some time to get our entrees. However, all was well prepared and no one had any complaints. Once all was done, the waitress chose to come to each person/couple to ask what they had in order to complete the checks. She said she prefers to do it at the end but then ran one check and returned to get the next couple's check. She repeated this five times going from table to register in between each transaction. After completing the checks she then went to scan each card. This process literally took 45-50 minutes. A bit bizarre as I have never seen it done in this manner. Our overall time in the restaurant was 2 1/2 hours. Fortunately we had nothing else to do but I assume the owner wants to be productive with a reasonable turnover.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

When I visited the restaurant the upstairs level was just completed. The food was very good. I have no complaints about the wait staff. I would go there again. My only complaint is that the restaurant was somewhat dark; poor lighting.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

This place is very similar to Marlin's grill. Great views. Sides are family style so splitting is the way to go. Also ask what comes with your entree. I ordered a steak with onion straws as a side. My steak came with onion straws so the side was not even eaten. Service was better at Marlins.