“Great stay. But not directly on the beach...”

Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sandestin
Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

We booked on Hotwire and expected a beachside room, but Sandestin is an expansive property. Our room was in the Grand Sandestin property with direct access to the Baytowne Village. We did try the free tram to the beach which was nice but waited quite a while for it. Takes about 15-20 minutes to beach. We opted to take our at the next day and had parking for property visitors. The beach was great & with rental you are given discounts for beach chairs & umbrellas, free hour on boogie board or kayak, and 4 hours on bikes.

The room was nice and very large with a balcony. One bed was VERY squeaky & we mentioned to the desk, but as it is a condo & owner controlled they could help. Room had a refrigerator, microwave & coffee maker, plus all dishes, plates & glasses.

We were pleased with this property & would go again, but would book earlier & try to get rooms on the beachside.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank EuroShanny
Beth S, Manager at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

EuroShanny,

We are pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us here at Sandestin. We have so much to do and much to explore here at Sandestin. We are happy you had a chance to enjoy some of our complimentary amenities we offer our registered guests. We are pleased you enjoyed your accommodations at the Grand Sandestin. The Grand is conveniently located to the Village, Baytowne Marina and several of our four award winning golf courses. We appreciate your business and we hope you will choose to visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Booked this resort after reading many reviews. Many negative but there were also good ones. I always throw out the ones that are completely negative because I highly doubt people have as bad of an experience as they claim. We stayed in the Bahia hotel on the 5th floor with a full balcony. The room was great. It was clean, nicely decorated, and roomy. It was just steps away from the Village shops and restaurants which was great. The beach was crowded and the chair rental very expensive. I brought my own chairs and found a good spot easily.
My only complaint was that after having dinner at Rum Runners, I left to continue to explore the Village only to return to Rum Runners to have drinks and listen to the music. When I got to the door they wanted to charge admission. I told them I had the receipt from dinner and was told I still needed to pay to get in. Now Rum Runners has an area on the water with chairs you can sit in and listen to the music without going into the restaurant. This is free to do. The only reason to go in is to purchase drinks. Why would you charge people to come in to make a purchase. and why would you charge people who already spent $80 on dinner with you. Needless to say, I left. Even though it was only $10 I was not going to give any more money to a business trying to screw people. That really put a bad taste in my mouth for a vacation that was going well up until that point. I hope to hear from management that that issue was addressed and changed. Although I enjoyed the resort I will not be returning if that practice remains. I was disrespectful to the guests who have already paid high dollar to stay at the resort and pay the higher prices in the restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LABAYMEDIC

LABAYMEDIC,

Thank you for your review of Sandestin Gold and Beach Resort. We appreciate your business and we thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are pleased to see you enjoyed your stay and all we have to offer. The Village has great music, fun, dining and nightlife for all. We hope you were able to enjoy the Tuesday night fireworks and the concert on Wednesday evening in the Events Plaza. Great fun and great music for the whole family. We apologize for the experience you had with Rum Runners. We have spoken to the ownership and they concur you should have been allowed to enter without paying the cover charge, as you had eaten dinner there and presented your receipt. This has been addressed with the management team of Rum Runners. We are sorry for this experience and we do hope you will choose to visit Sandestin again soon.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

This was my families second visit at this property and our last. I paid for a two bedroom two bathroom suite at the Grand property, upon arrival we were given a single room with double beds, the front desk person offered us the adjoining room a one bedroom suite. I explained that was not what we paid for. He said it was the same thing and the two rooms together make up a two bedroom suite if we keep the door open. When we complained he said since we booked using a third party (expedia) we were not guaranteed the room we paid for. We got the manager Beth( she was helpful) involved, we had to wait approximately two and half hours to have a the room we paid for cleaned. So at about 10:45 pm my family and I got our room. The room was just average not what I would expect from what is considered to be their premier property, stains on the carpet, mildew in shower and a very uncomfortable bed. Of the three pools we visited only one provided towels and they seemed kind of small for a property of this size.

Also, the next day we left to venture out, returned to the hotel around 4pm and no housekeeping. We called down and were told that it was not included in the room price!!!! Which was about $350 per night. We were told that we only get the trash taken out and fresh towels which had not been done that day. This was a big disappointment, stay away no bang for your buck not even housekeeping.

Room Tip: The first time we stayed at the property we stayed at the luau and had a better time, newer rooms an...
4  Thank flygrll

flygrll,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort. We have so much to offer our guests from beach to bay and we do hope you had a chance to enjoy some of our complimentary amenities during your stay. We are sorry to see we did not meet your expectations upon arrival. We do have many different types of accommodations here at the resort and we apologize for the miscommunication regarding the layout of your accommodation. We do offer daily housekeeping to our guests at an additional cost and we apologize you were not informed by the Expedia when making your reservation. We have so many different areas of the resort and many different types of accommodations to choose from and we are confident we have something that will meet all of your needs and expectation. We do hope you will visit Sandestin again in the future and allow us to show you what we are all about. Please feel free to contact me at executiveoffice@sandestin.com if I can be of assistance.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Customer service was horrible. We were greated with a "yes?" from a front desk associate that didn't even look at us. She was frustrated and bothered to be working there it appeared. Then, the concierge treated us in the same manor. Poor customer service all the way around. You have to shuttle to the actual beach which is a mile away, and it's super crowded. Save yourself the experience and stay elsewhere and go to Crystal beach or another public beach - it will be much less crowded.

The hotel boasts that it is on the water - we were on the bay with no beach. They might have part of their property that is on the beach, but it's not easy to tell.

The only good thing is that it was within walking distance to the Village that has great little restaurants, shops, ropes courses, etc... I'd still rather drive to this than pay $300+ a night for awful customer service. We stayed at the Emerald Grande earlier in the week, and customer service was AMAZING. They went above and beyond to make sure we started our stay off right and had all we needed - great attitudes by all that we encountered.

I ended up talking to a waitress at a local restaurant at the Village, and she told me that everyone is miserable that works for the Sandestin management company. She said the bad customer service is a result of unhappy employees treated poorly. Not sure if this is true, but it sure fit what we experienced. Can't say enough, save yourself the disappointment and stay elsewhere.

8  Thank CandacePe

CandacePe,

We appreciate your business and we thank you for choosing to stay with us here at Sandestin. We are sorry to see you were not satisfied with your stay. We apologize for the lack of concern and service you received from our staff. Please know this is not the standard here at Sandestin. We are customer service focused and we are sorry to see the staff you interacted with did not portray this message. We are 2400 acres and have rental accommodations on both the beach and bay side of US Hwy 98. We have so much to offer our registered guests. We are sorry we failed you during your time with us. We do hope you will visit us again and allow us the opportunity to show you what Sandestin is all about. Please do not hesitate to contact me at executiveoffice@sandestin.com when making your next reservation. I would love to assist in you.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Once again, I enjoyed my stay at Sandestin. This is my third time and each time, I am never disappointed. The room was great and had everything we needed, all the staff were friendly, and the beach was pretty. It is one of my favorite places and will remain so.

1  Thank Adriver83
Beth S, Manager at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Adriver83,

Thank you for continuing to choose Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort. We are pleased to see your third stay with us was wonderful. With so much to do from the beach to the bay and everything in between, we hope you enjoyed it all. We have a great team here at Sandestin and we are pleased to see we meet all your needs and expectations. We look forward to you coming to stay and play with us again soon!

Reviewed July 27, 2014

This was my first stay at the Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort. It was a fantastic week. The condo was clean and updated. We did not stay in a condo on the beach, but access to the beach was quick and easy. The beach and water were wonderful. This trip was a family "girls only" trip, so ages ranged from 6 yrs. old to adult. There were many activities to keep us occupied, even on the rainy days. I would definitely stay again.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Bashful44

Bashful44,

We are so happy to see your "girls trip" was a success and so much fun! Our sugar white sands are like no other and we hope your first trip to Sandestin will not be your last. We have so much to do and see here at the resort and something for every age! We hope you had a chance to visit the Village of Baytowne Wharf, take in some fireworks and enjoy some shopping too. We thank you for choosing Sandestin and we look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in Le Ceil and very much enjoyed the experience. Saw several negative comments on here which turned out to be quite unfounded based on my family's experience. Hands down one of the best hotels we've stayed in at that price point. Originally booked 3 nights and ended up booking a 4th. Sunset over the bay is not to be missed. The only disappointing factor of our Sandestin experience wasn't the Le Ceil hotel but the SUPER crowded Sandestin beach. Literally couldn't see the ocean for the vast swath of chairs and umbrellas. Le Ceil was clean, quiet, convenient, and affordable. Just what my family and my pocket book needed.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

trkbr2014,

Thank you for your review of Sandestin and LeCiel. We agree, the best sunsets ever can be seen from the balconies at LeCiel. The views from LeCiel are like no other on the property. With wonderful views of the Choctawhatchee Bay and the Baytowne Marina, LeCiel is a great location. It is convenient and has a wonderful bay view pool as well. We hope you enjoyed all we of our complimentary amenities we offer our registered guests. We appreciate your business and we look forward to your next stay with us!

Regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandestin
Courtyard by Marriott Sandestin at Grand Boulevard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Destin - Miramar Beach
The Henderson - A Salamander Beach & Spa Resort
Hampton Inn & Suites Destin-Sandestin
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Destin
Residence Inn by Marriott Sandestin at Grand Boulevard

Been to Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!