“A Very Good Stay, Beautiful Beach!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort

Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sandestin
San Luis Obispo County, California
“A Very Good Stay, Beautiful Beach!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Stayed in a condo unit with a wedding group. Very spacious and clean, well decorated, and a large screened-in porch overlooking the golf course. The surrounding grounds are very picturesque and well maintained. Convenient keyless entry (just remember your code) and wristbands for the shuttle service were by the front door. There are posts marking where the shuttle stops, but due to it being 'off season,' we didn't see it very often. We did get to take it to the beach one day, absolutely stunning waterfront! White sand, turquoise water, the whole nine yards. Walked back, which was 15-20 min. from where we were located on the property. The resort property is huge, so having a car or renting a golf cart is recommended. I'm not sure if there were maps of the property for use in the condo. We were pretty far from the restaurants, but the food was very good once we got there. From where we were, the closest convenience store was a Tom Thumb gas station if you needed any late night anythings, and a Publix grocery is a little further down the main road.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Beth S, Manager at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Skullatone,

We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us here at Sandestin. We trust the wedding you attended was a wonderful celebration and the weather cooperated. We have much to do among our 2400 acres. We appreciate you choosing Sandestin and we look forward to you visiting us again soon and taking advantage of all we have to offer. Come see us again soon!

Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Oxford, MS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

When I moved to Mississippi I'd heard about Northern Florida as a popular vacation destination. In less than an easy six hour drive from Oxford, known for its catfish and the famous “Grove” at Ole Miss, you can be at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, surrounded by ocean views and raw oysters on the half shell.

Many call the 2,400-acre resort a “destination.” I liken it to more of an “experience.” While the phrase “there is something for everyone” is rather cliché, it rings true for Sandestin on Florida’s Emerald Coast.

Westwinds

Along with another couple, my wife and I enjoyed a 2-bedroom condo in the Westwinds beachfront tower. Since we love to cook, we appreciated the fully equipped kitchen where we cooked breakfast each morning. One night we even cooked fresh lobster tails we purchased at an area fish market.

Landlocked in the Midwest most of my life, I’m not sure what was better, sipping my hot morning coffee on the balcony watching people get their daily walk on the beach or watching the dolphins swim as the sunset in the background.

With the room came the use of bicycles and kayaks. There are also four award-winning courses, 15 tennis courts; 19 swimming pools; a 113-slip marina and a fitness center and spa.

Village of Baytowne Wharf

There it was, ACME Oyster House. It had been 35 years since I ate my first raw oyster in New Orleans. ACME is synonymous with Bourbon Street.

But little did I know, nestled in the center of Sandestin on the Choctawhatchee Bay is the quaint Village of Baytowne Wharf that has shops, nightclubs, condos and restaurants – including ACME Oyster House. A blend of the French Quarter and Charleston’s southern charm, the village is a great option when you need a break from the beach.

The only thing I wish I had done differently was planned a longer trip so I could have experienced more of Sandestin.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rjones60
RussJones2013,

Thank you for choosing to visit us here at Sandestin. We are pleased to see you enjoyed the resort, your unit at Westwinds and had such a great time at The Village of Baytowne Wharf. We have so much to offer all of our guests, including our many complimentary amenities. We hope you had a chance to play some golf, take a bike ride and most of all, walk along the emerald coast and our sugar white sand. We appreciate your business and we look forward to you coming to stay & play with us again soon!

Niceville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Made and had a reservation here for this year's Marine Corps Ball. When you enter into the lobby, you have the beautiful ambiance to greet you, to include the receptionists. Whom by the way are quick pleasant to talk to and make sure you feel welcomed. After checking in, we made our way up to our room. As soon as we opened to door, the sun was setting. Absolutely breathtaking!!!

Room Tip: Choose the one-bedroom with view...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1laydbglur,

Thank you for your most recent stay with us. We are pleased to year this years Marine Ball was a success and you had an amazing stay with us! We love hosting the Marine Balls each year and sharing in your celebration. We appreciate your business and we look forward to sharing your 2014 Marine Ball with us!

Hot Springs, Arkansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Our trips to Sandestin are the best! We love our stay at the Luau. The white sand beaches...the incrediable sunsets
...the food at The Elephant Walk was amazing...the grounds are immaculate! We love our time at Sandestin and hate to leave! Why go anywhere else?

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Terri B
Beth S, Manager at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Terri B,

We love that you love Sandestin! You are correct....we have the most beautiful beaches and sunsets to be seen! Thank you so much for your review, for continuing to choose Sandestin and for loving your time with us. We have something for everyone here among our 2400 acres. With beach, bay, golf, bikes, Village and so much more there is never enough time to explore it all. We appreciate your business and we look forward to your next stay with us!

Baton Rouge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

When I originally booked my reservation I booked a room at LaCeil. It was awful - I do not recommend staying there. There was no hot water, the toilet was filthy and the room smelled like urine. I had a baby with me and called to be transferred to another room and they transferred us to the Elation building. It was wonderful! The room was nice and clean. The village is perfect for those with young families because you can wander around and have a nice time, but still be walking distance from your room. The staff was wonderful to work with. Diamond was very helpful and answered any and all questions we had. Beth was the person who transferred us and I couldn't have been more thankful for her.

Room Tip: DO NOT book at room at the LaCeil building. Spend a little more money and stay at one of the nicer...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Lori R,

Thank you for choosing Sandestin and for sharing your experience. We are so pleased to see our amazing front desk agents, Beth and Diamond took care of all of your needs. So glad we were able to get you placed in just the right accommodations during your time with us. We have so many different types of accommodations and something for everyone. We have an amazing staff and 2400 gorgeous acres and we are pleased you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to you visiting us again soon!

Louisville, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay at this resort. It was a mixture of business and pleasure. Conference center was nice and centrally located for all attendees of our conference. The nearby village shops provided many lunch choices though the "village tax" added below the sales tax to each bill was a bit annoying. Condo units were modern, clean, and ver spacious. Full kitchen with washer and dryer was a real bonus. It is important to note that most units have views of a bay off the gulf but do not face the beach. In fact, beach is quite a long distance away and requires riding a shuttle or driving to a parking lot near it. Once reached the beach is absolutely fabulous with gorgeous white sand and gentle waves. Hope to return soon!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Willhh,

Thank you for your review of your most recent conference here at Sandestin. We hope your conference was a success and you are looking forward to attending for the 2014 conference. We do have accommodations from the beach to the bay and something for everyone. We are pleased to see you had time to enjoy the Village during your stay with us. The weather has been amazing so we know the beach was just about perfect for relaxing and taking in the sand and surf. We appreciate your business and we look forward to your next stay!

Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I visited Destin for 11 days with my family. I have Lyme Disease and was granted a Make-a-Wish trip. I specifically asked if I could stay at Sandestin, because it looked so amazing online, and Make-a-Wish worked with Sandestin so I could. It was...amazing. I don't know if I can find enough words to say how wonderful it was. The room we stayed in was hand-selected for us, and it was beautiful. We stayed in the Beachside 1, on the 14th floor. The balcony gave a heavenly view of the beach/ocean, the living room was so comfy and big, the kitchen was perfect for cooking, and the bedrooms were perfect. I can't remember the last time I slept so well - the beds were like sleeping on clouds. I can't say enough good things about the room we stayed in. It really made all the difference in our trip.
When we arrived, there was a wonderful, sweet handwritten card from Kendra, who's the head of marketing and was the main person in organizing everything with the hotel. It made me feel so welcomed.
We also met some of the beach attendants, who were SO great and SO nice. They set an umbrella and chairs aside for us. We spent so much time in those chairs, soaking in the sun and the feel of the sand in our toes and taking in the view of the ocean. One of our favorite beach attendants was named Phil; he was so friendly and great.
We really loved the strip of Sandestin's beach. The sand was white as snow, the water was beautiful, and it was flawlessly clean. And we met so, so many nice people! Because of all the rain Destin had gotten over the summer, there was a bit of seaweed in the water, and the waves were a little rougher than usual, but it hardly made a difference. We spent lots of time snorkeling in the water, looking for shells and sand dollars and seeing little fish. And every night, my dad and I would walk down to the beach with flashlights, watch the little ghostcrabs skitter around the sand, and look for the big crabs that would occasionally wash up on the beach, then retreat back. It was amazing, something I'm going to remember fondly for a long, long, long time.
The service that came in and tidied up the rooms/restocked shower samples/etc was great. They came in many-a-time when we weren't there, and we never had to worry that something was going to turn up missing. When they came when we were there, they were very friendly and even answered questions we had about Destin. We also received complimentary turn-down service (it was gifted to us because of our being a Make-a-Wish trip) and that was such a treat! Each night we got our bedcovers turned town and two large squares of the most delicious chocolate!
On the first night we visited, we had dinner at the Elephant Walk. It was wonderful. The food was heavenly, and everyone who worked there was so nice! My mom mentioned that I hadn't gotten to celebrate my 16th birthday because I was sick, and at the end of our meal, a bunch of the waiters came to our table with a piece of chocolate cake (with 'Happy Sweet 16!' written on the edge of the plate in caramel!) with a guy who was singing me Happy Birthday with his guitar (we later found out he was someone who regularly plays upstairs). It was so special. Also, the waitress we had was so sweet, answering all of our questions about Destin, giving us suggestions on the best places to go and see, and patiently taking lots of family photos of us in front of the sunset.
We also went to Baytown Wharf several times. We visited the gelato shop, and it was so delicious, along with the candy store, which was so cool and so cute! I did the ropes course, which was so empowering. After being so sick and weak for so long, I was able to go four stories high on this ropes course, which worked all of my muscles. While I was doing it, out of nowhere, a bunch of people gathered down below and started cheering me on! It was so great. My dad and I also did the zipline - it was crazy! I could have done it all day, it was so much fun! We played the little golf game and the ship game by the water, and spent a lot of time taking photos and looking around. It was such a cool place, we went back at least twice more!
Everyone from the security gate guards to the phone operators were so friendly and nice. I really can't say enough about the Sandestin. It was wonderful, and it made my Make-a-Wish trip just...unbelievable. I'm truly never going to forget it. Kendra, and everyone else who had a hand in arranging my stay at the Sandestin, made this trip a healing experience, a special one, one that I'm never going to forget. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. Thank you.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cassidy S
Cassidy S,

Thank you so much for choosing us! We are so happy and pleased to know you had such an amazing time with us here at Sandestin. We loved having you and your family here and seeing that you all had a great time, enjoyed the resort, relaxed, healed and make amazing forever memories with us here at Sandestin. It was truly our blessing to be able to host you for your Make-A-Wish. Thank you for your kind words about our staff and Kendra. She was so excited while you were here and still is today knowing you had such an amazing time with us and we got to play such a role in your trip. We look forward to you and your family joining us again in the near future.

Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandestin
Courtyard Sandestin at Grand Boulevard
SummerPlace Inn
SummerPlace Inn
#10 of 39 in Destin
4.0 of 5 stars 365 reviews

Been to Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!