“Its what you're expecting”

Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sandestin
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I was skeptical, but booked anyway. Room was just as expected. Plenty of room, clean. I usually stay in hotels, so I didn't realize I needed to bring my own beach towels, shampoo, ect. The pros are the location and the activities at Baytown. The cons are it is CROWDED, really crowded. I mean the masses. There is no central management that I found, no one to really ask questions. You can eventually figure it all out. The chair rentals I believe are $40 a day for 2 chairs so everyone brings their own. Of course the rentable ones take up the whole beach so people are having to squeeze their chairs around the empty rentals. I think only 10% were rented so it seems kind of weird to keep them all out there keeping other paying customers from getting a spot. We had a great time, doubt I will go back.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Dona D
Beth S, Manager at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

ddsdaustx,

Thank you for choosing Sandestin for your most recent visit to our area. We have so much to offer here among our 2400 acres. the Village of Baytowne Wharf has something for everyone of every age from food, retail to music, dancing and even a zip-line. We apologize for the inconvenience at the beach. With all the rain we have experienced, when the sun shines everyone hits the sand. We appreciate your business and we do hope you choose to book with us again in the future. If I can be of assistance for your next reservation do not hesitate to contact me at executiveoffice@sandestin.com.

Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Booked at room at BeachSide 2. I booked through a third party agent, the price was good but service was bad.

I went to rent beach chairs, and the staff was outstanding. The informed me the benefits of booking through Sandestin.com. Next time I will be sure to do so.

Like I said, the beach was great, very crowded, but the staff was friendly and the chairs and shade were high quality. After trying to lug out own down one day, it is definitely worth the value. Heck, it's vacation.

We played putt putt with the kids, had a great time, even enjoyed all of the rides at the baytowne village.

My only really complaint is the quality of guests. I have vacationed here on and off for around 15 years, and I just can't believe the kind of classless guests that are tolerated.

More than once I felt uncomfortable with my kids. Next to us was a guy chain smoking and drinking Busch lights, of course just leaving all the trash when he left.

After we found our seat one morning, some class acts come and put their chairs right in front of us. Like touching our feet. Then would give is an earful everything we tried to walk to the water.

We booked under the impression of a family resort. We would come back again, but not with kids. The service, grounds, and beach were all great. But the biggest draw back was just the some of the other people.

• Stayed: August 2013

Longhornfam,

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us here at Sandestin. We are pleased to see you enjoyed your time and the weather cooperated for you to have some great beach time. Our beach services staff does an amazing job taking care of our guests. We do apologize for any inconvenience you encountered while at the beach. We have so much to offer our registered guests and we look forward to your next stay. We appreciate your business and want you to come and enjoy more fun and sun at Sandestin.

Regards

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Our 7-nights stay at Hotel Leciel was a relatively pleasant experience.

Hotel Leciel was located in a quiet gated community in the bay area (one mile away from the Sandestin Beach). Our unit was facing the bay with fantastic view. The amenities in the room were not up to the high standard (i.e. one of the stoves was not working properly), and the sofa bed needed serious fix. We waited for one night (followed up twice) for the rollaway bed, it worked out perfectly fine in the end.

In terms of service, most of the front desk receptionist were friendly but didn't seem to have the decision making right. The household service was on-time and responsive. Detergent would be provided upon request as the laundry facility was in the same building. Overall, the price was reasonable in the area with all inclusive equipment rental, shuttle services, full scale gym facility and well-maintained, spacious swimming pool facing the bay.

A few suggestions to the management team at below:
1. Consider fixing up/upgrading the amenities in guest rooms to make them functional.
2. Consider providing tea cups as an alternative for guests who are not coffee drinker.
2. Consider offering complimentary group lessons at Sandestin Health Club (current charge is at $10 per class) for long term guests.
3. Consider assigning the manager on duty at the front desk on daily basis to make sure guests have point of contact.

We believe the convenience of living in a resort hotel provides the sought-after relaxation and hassle free environment.

Room Tip: One bedroom suite, and be prepared to negotiate a deal
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Norman H,

Thank you for your review of LeCiel. We appreciate your business and you choosing to stay with us here at Sandestin. We have so much to offer here on our 2400 acres and bay views are one of them. The bay front units at LeCiel have amazing views, the best bay views on the property. The sunrises and sunsets are beautiful. We thank you for your recommendations and we will certainly take them into consideration for the property. We do hope you will choose Sandestin again in the near future!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We booked this last minute on Priceline. We stayed at the Elation for $168 per night. Our room was nice and in good repair, except the a/c froze up. I understand that each unit is individually owned and maintained, so I can understand the horror stories I have since read about on TripAdvisor. It would serve you well to research exactly what unit you will be given before booking. If you are coming for the BEACH...do not book here. You are BAYSIDE and must take a 20 min shuttle to the private beach and it is VERY CROWDED. If you want to golf, ride bikes, go to the pool........this is a beautiful property. The food overall is very "resort' therefore not very good. As long as you understand the limitations this is a good place to go ESPECIALLY WITH CHILDREN.

Room Tip: Elation is walking distance from the Wharf.
1  Thank vintageamarone

vintageamarone,

We are pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us here at Sandestin. We have many complimentary amenities to offer our registered guests and we hope you had a chance to take advantage of some of them. We are pleased to see you enjoyed Elation and your accommodations in the Grand Complex. Elation is a great location and easy access to the Village of Baytowne Wharf and all it has to offer. We appreciate your business and we hope you choose Sandestin again soon!

Reviewed August 10, 2013

My family and I visited this resort for 4 days and I read the reviews after I had already booked the room and most were bad so I was already expecting the worse once we got here. After we checked in we were told that our room was not ready yet but would be by the time we reached the room because it was on the other side of the resort. Once there of course it wasn't ready and I called and was told it should be ready in a few minutes so I waited 15 and called back it still wasn't ready and was then told about another 30 min. Another 30 min went by and it still wasn't ready, finally 2 hours later it was ready. I asked could we have something complimentary for the inconvenience and was told "sorry but check in is between 4-6 so as long as you are provided a room in that time period there is nothing more we can offer". I let it go so we could enjoy the rest of the day we had left. We were at the Bahia building, the room was very small but clean. It's nowhere near the beach so we had to take the tram which was ok because every time we got ready to ride they were always pulling up. The Bahia is within walking distance to Baytown wharf which was nice. Overall, I would not stay here again. The rate you pay for the microscopic room you get that's nowhere near the beach is not worth it. We've stayed in 5 diamond resort hotels for about the same price where you were actually on the beach. So find out where you're room is before booking if its on the bayside of the resort that is nowhere near the beach.

1  Thank Tia T
Beth S, Manager at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Tia T,

Thank you so much for choosing Sandestin. We appreciate your business and we thank you for your review. We apologize you had to wait for your unit upon arrival, as we strive to have all of our guests accommodations ready upon arrival. We do have accommodations on both the beach and bay side of the resort and we are sorry for the miscommunication as to where you would be staying.
We do hope you will visit us again. Please contact me directly at executiveoffice@sandestin.com regarding your stay or when making your next reservation.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

You would think the beach would be included in a "beach resort". We have children so we need to be close to the shoreline to watch them it's a safety issue unfortunately they pile up rental chairs so close to the shoreline there is no place for a family to safety watch their children unless you actually are in the water with them. That's not my complaint, though it is absurd, my complaint is something I have never seen happen at any vacation establishment. When someone else moved some of their chairs to make room for their family an employee came over actually called the person a profane name and it escalated I believed their employ was going to start a fight with a customer over moving two chairs. What a class act. I was left with a crying 6 yo and a wife so upset she just wanted to check out.

Dennis 700000,

Thank you for staying with us here at Sandestin. We are saddened to see your experience on the beach and for your observation with the beach staff. Please know this is unacceptable and is being addressed by the executive staff here at Sandestin. Behavior such as this is not tolerated at Sandestin and will be dealt with appropriately. We desire our guests have a wonderful and memorable experience and we are so sorry for your experience. Please contact me at executiveoffice@sandestin.com so we can discuss in more detail. We do hope you will choose to visit Sandestin again in the future to enjoy all we have to offer.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I think a 61% rating is way too low for Sandestin. Yes, the Hilton is better, nicer, newer, but I am sure that comes with a heftier price tag. Sandestin is a higher scale family friendly alternative to other hotels in Destin, FL. There are tons of people there and layers of beach chair isles. All in all, it has most of what you want and even more for a 2400 acre resort. Bikes, Kayaks, Kid Friendly rides, shopping, beautiful beach, bike trails, mini gold, regular gold. Give this place a break. You may need to either drive or take the tram to various places at this resort though. Again, it is a big place. My wife and I stayed 3 short nights at the Beachfront Luau 1 Tower without our kids. That was our biggest mistake. This place is all kids, all of the time. I think Destin, in general, is that way. Nothing wrong with that, just know it going in.

If I had a knock on Sandestin, it would be to give the Main Lobby and Registration buildings a facelift. Also, add a few more restaurants/cafes throughout the resort. There is a Starbucks and nice buffet at the Hilton FYI!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KWESTRIDE

KWESTRIDE,

Thank you for your review of Sandestin. We appreciate your business and we thank you for choosing Sandestin. We have 2400 acres of fun and sun and something for everyone. We are pleased to see you enjoyed your stay at Luau. We appreciate your comments regarding guest registration and the lobby area. In the next year you will see great changes in this area of our operation. We are excited about the changes as it will greatly improve our guest registration and check-in experience. We look forward to you choosing Sandestin again soon!

Regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandestin
Courtyard by Marriott Sandestin at Grand Boulevard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Destin - Miramar Beach
The Henderson - A Salamander Beach & Spa Resort
Hampton Inn & Suites Destin-Sandestin
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Destin
Residence Inn by Marriott Sandestin at Grand Boulevard

Been to Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!