“Great time but customer service was amazingly poor”

Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sandestin
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is a beautiful resort, that is surrounded by a mixture of fun things to do. The Village was spectacular with lots of restaurants and entertainment. The shuttle to the beach, which was across the street from where we stayed was very timely. The pool on the beach was nice and had excellent customer service. However, I was extremely disappointed with the customer service provided during check in, during our stay and at the check out. When we first checked in we were place in a room that was outdated and on the fifth floor, with a hot elevator. We were not aware that all properties at Bayside area had the same daily rate. We complained and was placed in a nicer villa, but with lots of steps, which was incovenient for transporting our luggage. The Room was tastefully decorated. The first night, the faucet on the bathtub was broke, we called 3 times before someone came the next day.....the faucet was put in backwards, hot for cold cold for hot. We informed the desk that there were six people (three children) staying in the rooms and we really need to be able to use the shower. No extra blankets or towels were provided and we were told we had to clean the towels that were provided as we used them. Central unit kept going in and out and the staff blamed it on the weather. The last night of our stay, we watched television and everyone that sat on the sofa were attacked by fleas or some type of insect. Could not enjoy the balcony view because of frogs constantly jumping on our balcony. During our move, I forgot two dresses that were hanging on hangers from the cleaners, when I called housekeeping they told me I had to come to get them. When I arrived, the dresses were balled in a plastic bag, so much for dry cleaning and hanging on hangers. When we checked out the next day, we paid the bill and for continuous improvement, we informed the desk person of our experience. We showed the clerk the insect bites and advised that they spray the room. The desk clerk went to the back office and came back full of apologies and offered us coffee at one of the restaurants. We told her we were leaving and was very disappointed that a Manager did not take the time to discuss our complaint in person. The desk clerk referred us to the desk manager who had been standing nearby the whole time, this person took our names and number and said she would turn it over to a Customer Service Manager. Three days later and we have not received a call. If they had called me in a timely manner, i would have expressed my views and wrote them down as an okay experience. Since I have not heard from them, I am sharing my experience with anyone who cares to read it. This was not my idea of a five star experience.

Room Tip: You have the option to pick rooms once you get there. Make sure they give you explanation of what v...
5  Thank sevenlee
Beth S, Manager at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

sevenlee,

We appreciate your business and we thank you for choosing Sandestin. We apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay. Thank you for taking your time to speak with me this week regarding your stay. We use our guest feedback and comments to improve our guest service and our operation. We look forward to your next stay with us!

There are newer reviews for Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort

Reviewed June 23, 2013

My daughter and son and I stayed at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort. We had never been to that part of Florida before. We had an amazing time there. The resort was so beautiful and there was so much to do there. I never really even heard of Destin before, but it was recommended to me by my friend. I absolutely loved the the property! It has great food, great entertainment, and overall just a wonderful place to stay! We will have amazing memories of the great seafood and entertainment and shopping at the property. Thank you Sandestin for an amazing stay! xo

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Beth S, Manager at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

EmmaPreston P,

Thank you for your most recent stay with us here at Sandestin. We are so glad you discovered Sandestin and our Emerald Coast. We have so much to offer here at Sandestin. There is shopping, music, entertainment and always something for the kids. We do hope you will join us again soon. Sandestin is an amazing place and a must for creating lasting memories. We look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

“Sandestin-pilot house review”

We are on our way back after visiting for a week. We booked our rental through vrbo.com at the Pilot House-327/329. It was a 2 bedroom and was PERFECT!! We had our puppy with us so being pet friendly was important!!! We cooked most of our meals in our condo or at the poolside gas grill, but did get drinks and appetizers a few times down at the village. The village is very family friendly and has many bars, restaurants and shops. We loved Rum Runners --the crawfish tails appetizer was yummy and we loved the live music each night!!! My daughters liked the frozen yogurt shop and the arcade. We visited a couple of area beaches by just driving down 98 and along the coast until we saw one. They are much less crowded than the one at the resort. The area is AMAZING and we can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed: June 2013
Beth S, Manager at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Nickel5,

Thank you so much for your review of Sandestin. We are pleased to see you had an amazing stay with us. We have so much to do and see here at the resort and something for all ages. We look forward to you visiting the resort again soon. One of our reservationist will be happy to assist you in finding just the right pet friendly accommodations for you and your family for your next stay.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Sandestin offers a wonderful mix of casual fun in the sun and fairly upscale rooms and services. This is a great place for families and couples, alike. We have stayed in several of the complexes, but find that Elation in the village works best for us now. There is a beautiful swimming pool steps away, most rooms have balconies or patios and the rooms/ condos are well maintained, quiet and comfortable. The grounds are beautiful. If you like to exercise outdoors, there are lots of opportunities for you : nature trails, canoeing, biking, tennis, pools, white, sandy beaches and lots of pedestrian friendly places to walk and run. For kids, there is a zip line and rock climbing wall ( these cost extra). There are lots of restaurants in and near the resort, but if you rent a condo, you will have a kitchen and can cook if you like. There are good grocery stores in the area. Cons: this is a large resort and room service is not like what you would find in a hotel. It will take time for someone to get to you if you need something like towels.

Room Tip: If you want to be near the beach, consider Luau. The pool has a waterfall. If you are interested...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank CTP71

CTP71,

Thank you for choosing Sandestin! We appreciate your business and we look forward to your next stay with us. Elation is a great location...convenient to the Village, golf and so much more of what Sandestin has to offer our registered guests. We hope you had a chance to take advantage of the bike rental, tennis and some of our other complimentary amenities. There is always something to do for everyone and every age here at Sandestin. Thank you for choosing to stay with us again and again. Be sure you come and Stay & Play again soon.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Great location and beautiful views. On our visit our room was missing towels and bedding. Had to call three times to get what we needed. Also reort was having electrical issues. Came in one night to our room at 83 degrees called front desk who said they would have maintenance come up shortly. Stayed up till midnight waiting for the the maintenance guy who never showed or called. Had to keep ceiling fans on high and patio door open to try to cool the room. Next morning we had to speak with the manager of the Grand who finally moved us to another room. All we herd was how other we're affected too. It seemed they were better at making you feel like a complainer and offered excuses rather than solutions. During the move from room to room my wife forgot her cordless razor. Called housekeeping who said they would find it and bring it to usp. That never happened.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Jeffcounty_ern
Beth S, Manager at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Jeffcounty_ern,

Thank you for your most recent stay with us here at Sandestin. We appreciate your business and your choosing to stay at Sandestin. We are pleased to see you enjoyed the great views and your location during your time with us. During your stay, a transformer blew and many areas of the resort was without power for several hours. We certainly apologize for the inconvenience you and your family encountered. At your convenience, please contact me at executiveoffice@sandestin.com. I would like to speak with you in further detail regarding your stay. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again soon and enjoy all we have to offer.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Wow, where do I begin. I'll try to make this brief, but our stay at this property was excellent. The staff for very friendly and helpful. (Especially, Tiffany at the front desk in the Grand). If you stay at this property, to us the best location was the Pilot House 3rd floor. That is the floor that has a beauty terrance with pool, bar-b-que grills and a little workout room. The patios are big. The condo itself was pretty nice. It had all of the amenities of home. We really only had two problems. 1. While staying in the condo the icemaker in the fridge really didn't work. So we bought a bag of ice for a couple of bucks. 2. The parking is not that great. However, we really didn't use our vehicle much since they have shuttle buses that take you anywhere on the property. The property is so huge that I recommend staying in the village versus anywhere else. The village is the happening spot for adults and kids as well. I think in some of the other locations once you're done at the beach you'll be headed over to The Village, so you might as well stay there. You can drive to the beach, but they do have a shuttle that will take you directly to the beach. No need to get your car full of sand (lol)

I would advise to take advantage of the bike rentals, kayaks, tennis etc those things are free to the guests. They have other things such as waverunners, banana boats etc that are of a charge. However, you can find some of those things cheaper near the downtown area of Destin. (Harbour Walk Village) which is located about 14 miles from the property.

I could go on and on about our experience, but I said that I was gonna keep this brief.

I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: 3rd floor pilot house. Have easy access to the pool and fitness room.
3  Thank Kevin T

Kevin T,

Thank you for your most recent stay with us here at Sandestin. We are pleased you had such a great time and enjoyed the Village. Pilot House is such a great location as it is convenient to the Village of Baytowne Wharf and just steps away from the pool, hot tub and fitness center on the amenity deck. We are glad to see you took advantage of so many of our complimentary amenities and all we have to offer. Thank you for your comments regarding Tiffany. She is certainly an asset to our Front Office Staff and Sandestin. We appreciate you business and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Let me just start by saying that I have never in all my life imagined that a piece of heaven existed here on earth. Strange thing about Destin Florida is the sense of peace that suddenly comes over you right before crossing the bridge entering the city. I brought along my pregnant wife and our one year old twins. My son absolutely loved the beach. Well, I should say he loved the waves crashing into the beach. He actually cried all the way across the sand and didn't seem happy until I walked him to the water.

My wife and daughter soaked up the son and my daughter even made a new friend. lol. We liked the little girl's name so much that we gave our new born daughter the same name. My wife went into false labor while we were there, so me and the kiddies had almost two weeks to have fun.

The Leceil condos were perfect to say the least. While my wife was in the hospital I had to lug around two kids. One day the lady at the front desk saw me and helped bring the kids up to my 6th floor room. The room had a gorgeous view of the Bay. Wow I am only 33 years old and I tell you I loved the sunsets like a 70 year old couple. Fish literally jumped out of the Bay. I had a view of sunsets to my left and a view of yachts to my right. Very near the private beach that had white sand and emerald green waters. Mind you I had 30 days in this paradise. A place where many people only get to experience once a year for only a couple days.

The Emerald Coast is a Paradise on earth.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Michael K,

Thank you for your most recent stay with us here at Sandestin. We do hope all is well with your family. We are so pleased to see you and your family were able to enjoy the resort and all we have to offer. We have so much for the kids to do...everything from the waterslide at the Marina to Adventure Zone to Club KZ and so much more. You are correct that the views and sunsets from LeCiel are amazing. One of the best places on the property to view the sunrises and sunsets. We appreciate your business and we look forward to your and your family joining us again soon!

Regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandestin
Courtyard by Marriott Sandestin at Grand Boulevard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Destin - Miramar Beach
The Henderson - A Salamander Beach & Spa Resort
Hampton Inn & Suites Destin
Hampton Inn & Suites Destin-Sandestin
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Destin

Been to Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!