This was our second trip to Sandestin in the last 2 years and it seems things have fallen off significantly. We were there for 5 days attending a conference. There are lots of details but I will try to keep the review simple. Note that Sandestin is a large spread out resort with lots of different accommodations. This review is on the resort itself, the Market Street Inn, and surrounding areas.
Check in was easy although we were given a room in the Pilot House that was right off the broken lock door to the public parking deck. We requested a different room and were given one within the Market Street Inn, part of the Baytowne Warf portion of the resort. There are no luggage carts to use and no lobby at the location. This is important because if you want anything or need normal concierge assistance, you need to walk to the Grand Sandestin Hotel next door. Needless to say, it is a hike if you need a new room key or luggage cart.
The room was okay but like others have mentioned, it was a bit dirty. The hallway looked like it had not been vacuumed in a while either. We liked that the unit has a condo feel with lots of space and nice amenities. The problems were with dirty (mildewed) shower, kitchen faucet that had a mind of its own, and a broken washing machine (more on the last item later).
The pool is great and the grounds on very nice. However, there is absolutely no sign of staff around. It seems like they have a serious lack of personnel at this resort/hotel location. This creates problems since the village shops, part of the Baytowne Warf that the Market Street Inn is a part of, is open to the public. It seems local kids know this and use the public parking to get access to the pool. Lots of loud rambling, drinking, smoking, and just unwelcome guests on the weekend while we were there, mainly in the noon time hours.
The shops and associated themed restaurants are ok but VERY touristy, overpriced, and of at best average quality. The food left something to be desired. Rum Runners has a dueling pianos which can be fun if you are into that kind of thing.
Let me cut to the chase:
- fairly nice condos
- great location for conference
- 5.5 hours drive from Atlanta
- beautiful landscaping
- Overall service was pretty bad and seriously lacking
- Seems to be real management problems on the operations side
- Room not clean and various upkeep items lacking (i.e. no lock on door from public parking deck to condo rooms/elevator)
- Lack of security guards
- Internet Access is wired only from kitchen counter and $10 a day, not 24 hour clock but from 11am to 11am. So if you need 24 hours and it is 8am, you only get 3 hours with their system before you have to purchase another 24 hours.
- Maintenance issues not addressed. Our washing machine was broken through the whole trip. 3 service techs came by but no one to fix it since it had to be the appliance guy who was off. Ownership of problem was on me and I had to suggest using an empty room's washing machine as a workaround. We had other issues but after this, I didn't bother trying to get them fixed.
- Bed was not very comfortable when compared to other big chains (marriott, westin, hilton)
- most everything seemed overpriced including food, umbrella rentals at beach, and what you get for the room.
- Each time I called or interacted with the staff, they seemed annoyed that I needed help. After traveling for a long time to many destinations, this really boggles my mind as to why they are in the service industry in the first place.
- Golf course was not worth $100+ per round. Design and course upkeep was the issue. Better public courses for $50 can compete with this one.
- The village shops and restaurants are overpriced and of low quality food.
We really enjoyed our first trip here around the same time in 2005. It seems there has been some kind of change that has made this destination less desirable. I recommend looking at other options in Miramar or Destin proper since this resort (?) does not cater to non-conference people. If you are not attending a conference here, I suggest finding a private condo to rent. Better value and most likely beachfront.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Vacatia, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandestin Golf And Beach Hotel Sandestin
- Sandestin Hotel And Beach
- Sandestin Resort And Beach
- Sandestin Golf Beach Resort
- Sandestin Resort Florida