“Good stay, but not the best”

Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront
Ranked #11 of 43 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I'm usually very generous when it comes to reviews, but I felt this hotel was just average. Compared to other hotels, I just felt like I wasn't valued being a Hilton Honors member. I stayed for 1 night.

Check-in: Checking in was pretty quick. Staff was friendly, nothing to complain. 5/5

Room: Wasn't able to get an upgrade during this stay, but it's based on availability, so can't complain about that. Was on the 7th floor. The room was a bit small compared to other Hiltons that I've stayed that. It would be more suitable just for one person IMO. What's disappointing was that the lamp was falling apart and the room was missing one of the bedside tables. Bed was very comfortable though, so it wasn't that bad.

Parking: The parking lot gets VERY full at night, so try and get their early. Parking is $14. If it gets full, you can park on the street or at the parking garage THREE BLOCKS away. There is no valet. My recommendation is if parking is going to be offsite, at least introduce some form of valet service and the parking garage is not really next door and there are multiple parking garages on the way there.

Breakfast: Complimentary breakfast is available for gold and diamond members in the executive lounge. However, it is only continental breakfast. (not a bad price compared to other Hiltons)

Overall, I don't think I would stay at this hotel again. I just feel that the rooms are a bit dated and small, and parking was a pain. Nothing seem to have gone right for this visit. I think I would stay again if there are better perks for Hilton Honor members.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
daveprophet, General Manager at Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Gate Guardian, thank you for your comments, we are reviewing our HH benefits and I am sorry you had such difficulty with the parking, I am pleased to tell you we are currently refreshing all of our guest rooms so next time you return to St Pete I hope you will choose to stay with us again, Thanks, D Prophet GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,685)

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We arrived at 4:30 to a line winding through he lobby with folks trying to check in. After about 20 minutes I was told that my room was not ready. The clerk was less than accommodating and had no idea when the rooms would be ready. The reason he offered for the backlog was that they had been fully booked the night before - no apology or remuneration for our inconvenience. Had I been a Hilton Honor member he might have been able to do something but since I had booked the room through a rewards program, I guess I was less valuable. At 5:45 we finally got a call that our room was ready and imagine my surprise when we arrived expecting the king room we had confirmed reservations for had transformed itself into two double beds. As my husband and I were tired from traveling and wanting to make our dinner reservations rather than stand in a line some more, we settled into this room. After an evening out we returned to our room and just as I was getting ready to step into the shower, I realized there were no towels. A call to the front desk and some were delivered. Again, we were told when the rooms were made over, the towels were still being washed and dried. You see, they were completely booked the night before. Our second night required us to ask for towels in our room again. We did not find the front desk managers to be very gracious. It did not seem that they were at all able to deal with a full house. We have stayed here previously but do not think we would do so again. The prevailing attitude seemed to be "this is the way things are, there is nothing I can or will do about so you are out of luck".

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear jedmill, thank you for your feedback, I am sorry you experienced dfficulties during your stay, I will be reviewing your issues with our housekeeping staff and front office team for improvement and hope you will elect to stay with us again. D Prophet GM

Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and I had a meeting at the Hilton and we decided to spend the night as it was St. Petersburg's first Friday celebration. Wonderful area located by the yacht club and a nice selection of museums and theatres. Beach Drive which you can walk to has wonderful restaurants and shops. Would return. The only downfall was the restrooms in the lobby needed attention.

Room Tip: We were on the sixth floor and our room was very nice. Ask not to be located by the elevators.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you lovetotravel0075 for your review, we are glad you enjoyed your visit to our great community and all it has to offer, I am happy to tell you we are currently undergoing a refresh and am sure you will be satisfied with the changes on your next visit, Thanks D Prophet GM

Reviewed August 3, 2013

This place as been a nightmare since our arrival. We got here around 3:15 the day of our check in, and got put in a room on the 5th floor that overlooks disgusting buildings and has a massive bright light that shines all night long. Luckily, they do have strong blackout curtains, so you have to keep those closed if you're trying to just relax and enjoy your room.

Within the first couple of minutes, I noticed that there were four bobby pins sitting at the bottom of the toilet, rusting away. I immediately called the front desk, as we had just arrived after a long drive and I really needed to use the bathroom. They assured me that they would send someone up to remove them. After about ten minutes of waiting, I called back to see if anyone was coming. The woman I spoke to said that she had talked with the housekeeping manager, who said it was fine to just flush them. Huh? Well, I tried flushing them, but of course they didn't budge. Fine, but still just gross.

The next morning, we were awoken at 9am (6am in my California brain) to the obnoxious sounds of tapping and knocking. I sat wide awake for two hours, thinking it was just disrespectful tenants. Finally, I called the front desk around 11am to find out what was happening. It was at this point that they mentioned that maintenance would be going on all weekend from 9am-5:30pm. Really would have been nice to know that ahead of time.

Unable to deal with the noise, we requested a room swap. The only room available was the room directly across the hallway, where we could of course still hear the noises.

On top of that, the rooms are simply sloppy. The rooms don't have door stops, so the original room had a huge hole in the wall from the door handle. The second room had some weird liquid dropping down the back of the door. The instructions in the shower that are supposed to tell you which way to turn the knob for hot/cold water were completely wrong, so don't follow that "guide".

When we went downstairs to speak with a manager, we were stuck in line behind a slew of angry customers: one of whom couldn't access/use her shower, and another man who was fed up and seeking to cancel his reservation.

All in all, this was the most disappointing experience at a Hilton EVER.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank kstarnes1025
daveprophet, General Manager at Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear kstearnes, please acceot my apologies for the trouble you encountered during your stay with us. We are in the midst of a refresh of the hotel and are trying to keep the noise to a minimum, I will be sharing your comments with the rest of the staff in order to make sure there are no issues in the future. I hope if your travels bring you our way again you will give us another opportunity to be of service, Dave Prophet GM

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Stay three nights for business travel, check in less than warm welcome, more concerned about my tag number since I self parked, which is $14.00 a day, I was floored being a Hilton honors member!! Hotel room, tired and needed a new face lift, worn and tired.
Bed was comfy ,room clean, requested a king room got a double queen room, wasn't Informed of this at check !!
Good view from the room though.
Starbucks on site, great plus! Lobby inviting, pool nice but close to parking area.
Restaurants in walking distance, close to museums and most attractions, great nightclubs around hotel, most opened at five, and the area was pretty quiet for being downtown!
I wouldn't stay again, due to the charge of parking! At least credit that for hotel credit for honors club members!!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Soapster1, thank you for your review of your visit to the Hilton St Pete., I will be visiting your suggestion regarding parking and HH Benefits, I hope if you visit St Pete again you will try to stay with us again, D Prophet GM

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We bought the baseball package where the hotel shuttles guests to Tropicana Field and back, provides $20 in Rays Bucks and complementary breakfast the following morning. We arrived more than an hour after check in is allowed and the room wasn't "ready". The front desk would call me when the room was ready. We waited 45 minutes at a Starbucks located in the hotel. I returned to the front desk to find the room was ready. I don't know if the room had just then been cleaned or if they forgot to call me.

The sleeping room was fine. The furniture has a bit of a Regency look to it and was in good repair. The bathroom is small but adequate. Their Honors room, where refreshments are served from 5 until 7, on the 15th floor has a lovely view of Tampa Bay, the local municipal airport and a broad expanse of St Pete and Tampa.

The shuttle left about 15 minutes later than scheduled but the ball park is fairly close and arrived with plenty of time to spare. The game ended about 10:15 PM and the hotel shuttle was not around. I called the hotel and they said the shuttle would not be there for 45 minutes. I asked if she realized that hotel guests would loitering around downtown St Pete until after 11 PM if the shuttle was that late and she replied that if that wasn't satisfactory we could find another way back to the hotel.

We took a taxi back. I found the night manager who defended the decision to leave us out there for 45 minutes by explaining that the contract with a commercial airline to pick their crew at the Tampa airport (30 miles away) had priority over guest shuttles. He saw no problem with leaving guests stuck on a downtown street corner in a strange city late at night. In contrast, the breakfast staff the following morning was cheerful and efficient and the buffet food was fresh and tasty.

I've had occasional problems with this hotel in the past but nothing that showed such a lack of regard for their guests. I've really never seen any hotel do anything like this. I doubt I'll ever come back to this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear rbirds12, thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us, O am sorry for the delay in your getting into your room in a timley fashion, as to the transportation issue, departure for the game is scheduled by signing up to go to the event, at it's conclusion everyone wants to retun at the same time and we do our best to transport many people as fast as we can, I am sorry for the responsr you received from the staff and will be reviewing the issue with them, Thank You D Prophet GM

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I had read some poor reviews of this hotel but my experience was exactly the opposite. Everyone was helpful and friendly. The hotel has some age on it but it was clean and well kept. My room was quiet and the bed comfortable. This helped turn my business week into a relaxing experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo