“Pleasantly surprised and clean. Did I mention clean?”

Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront
Ranked #11 of 43 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed here for a conference and was pleasantly surprised. I stayed a a very similar sister hotel in Barbados over the summer (down to the bedskirts and shower tile) and was much more pleased with this location. The courtesy van took us to The Columbia on the Pier and came when called. There was a Publix within easy walking distance and an empty fridge for snacks. The room was clean clean clean and the bed comfy. There was a decent view of a neighboring building's outside fountain and the bay off to the side. The IRL race goes right by the hotel.
The staff was friendly and helpful, we were not an inconvenience for them (even in the Starbucks). The iced orange and strawberry water in the lobby was refreshing. Someone was always cleaning something.
Nice central location, not in an old people's town anymore! The only down side? The in-room coffee. Bring your own pot, buy one at Publix or stick with tea. Sorry, but it was awful...

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better. Elevators were quick. We were on the parking lot side and looked...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank meandmyNoodle
Write a ReviewReviews (1,684)

Reviewed September 18, 2012

We spent a super weekend back in July at this Hilton which is conveniently located in a classy area of St Pete. Huge pool and comfy hot tub. Nearby, lots of shops and eateries galore and the whole experience was a delight! However, no hotel stay is complete and memorable unless there is great staff: and they were all fun and helpful from the bellmen to the front desk to the waiters in the restaurant on site to even a very sweet house lady that brought us extra towels in the pool area.

Thanks to all Hilton Employees!

Rick & Maria Darnell

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RD505050
Chellie M, Manager at Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Mr. and Mrs. Darnell,

Thank you so much for staying with us during your trip to the St. Petersburg area. We greatly appreciate that you have taken the time to recognize our staff for their efforts during your stay, and we thank you for sharing your experience. We hope that you will return when you are in the area again. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Kindly,

Chellie McCardle
Front Office Manager

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Hilton Bayfront – Never again
We stayed at the Hilton Bayfront in St. Petersburg Fl last weekend and will be the last. Starting with check in – we booked our room through Hotels.com, paid in full at the time, two months in advance. I booked a king non smoking room. The very nice desk clerk told me that there was not any king’s available, when I commented that was unacceptable I was informed by the assistant manager Shelly, that she can cancel my reservation, but I would have to contact the third party for a refund. Another words, I could leave if I wanted to and she was not going to care.
Because we had tickets for the Tampa Rays that evening we decided that we did not have time to go looking for another hotel so we said we would take the double room. To his credit the desk clerk did comp our parking and our breakfast, which was very nice. But we went from bad to worse. The room that we were given was on the second floor, overlooking the roof of the lobby our view was satellite dishes, but the worst was that it was a smoking room. It stunk and was dirty. The drapes were falling down on the one side of the window and did I mention that it stunk!
For a Hilton they do not really have a restaurant expect for breakfast and here is the one real bright spot. Not the food, the buffet was what I would have expected at a Holiday Inn or a Hampton Inn for free, the Hilton charges $17 per person. No the bright spot is Andy, the breakfast manager. He is so friendly and so helpful, in fact because we mentioned that we had gotten a smoking room and some of the check in issues, when we got back to our room later in the afternoon Andy had sent us a snack basket. He really is a great asset to the hotel.
Over all, I do think that for the money, we would have been better off at Red Roof Inn. Don’t stay here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank blondie9093
Dave P, General Manager at Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Dear blondie9093, thank you for your review, I am sorry that you did not receive the room type that you requested, as our staff works through the day to monitor our room availability for our guest there may be circumstances that prevent us from fulfilling these request such as many times in resort locations our guest extend their stay. I will be sure to review your comments and hope in the future if you come our way again you will choose tio stay with us, thanks Dave Prophet GM

Reviewed September 12, 2012

This is a great property, the front desk is excellent, it's right next to the baseball stadium and a 5 min wlak to to the Dali Art. You will be very pleased to stay there, I am a diamond member and I would give them a very high grade. They are very guest oriented

Room Tip: try to stay on the 15th floor
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank bubba086

Dear bubba086, thank you for your review and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, we hope to see you again during your future travels, thanks Dave Prophet GM

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I stayed six nights during a busy convention and enjoyed the stay but found some things that should be fixed and some small annoyances that should not have happened. First the good, the staff was great, Every time I asked for something it was delivered quickly efficiently and cheerfully. Lobby area and meeting rooms are first rate. I asked for a room on a low floor with a refrigerator and it was there for me when I arrived. The drain in my shower ran very slowly, someone came up to fix it immediately when I called, but shouldn't they be checking this already in a $249/night hotel? Water pressure in the shower was tremendous while the water saving device on the sink made the most mundane of tasks like toothbrushing and handwashing too long. Housekeeping missed my room on one day. The air conditioner never worked properly no matter how low I set the thermostat. It seemed like my settings were overridden or just didn't matter. The room was always damp. Self parking was $12/day which seemed a bit over the top and the breakfast buffet was $16 which also seemed excessive. Wifi was available but undependable enough I had to use my own portable hotspot instead. Many of these things are not a big deal, I just expected better.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Dear gleneatswell, thanks you for your feedback, I am sorry you encountered some difficulty during your stay, I am happy to inform that we will be undergoing a refresh of the hotel very soon. I will be sure to share your comments with the staff as we are very proud of them and always enjoy sharing guest experience reviews, I hope next time you travel to St Pete you will elect to stay with us again, thank you, Dave Prophet GM

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Stayed in here for one night. We were going to watch baseball at tropicana fields. The hotel ran a free shuttlebus to the game which dropped us off and picked us up right outside the stadium. The pool is great and the sun loungers are very comfy! We got upgraded immediately to a suite because we are Hilton gold members. The room we were in was lovely. It was very big and had more than enough room for four of us. There was two fridges and a microwave and everything we needed was there. The air con was very quiet, didn't even notice it. The executive lounge on the 15th floor was absolutely brilliant. A very helpful man called John took care of our every need- he told us everything we needed to know and showed us where everything was. The breakfast in the morning was also delicious and had scrambled egg on offer, a nice touch. Would definitely stay here again for longer.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Dave P, General Manager at Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Dear Jess H, thank you for your kind review of your stay at the Hilton St Petersburg, it is our goal to insure that eachof our guests has their expections met, I hope that when you return you will choose to stay with us again, thank you, Dave Prophet GM

Reviewed August 23, 2012

This Hilton - like so many of this brand - is out-dated and should probably be replaced. As a Diamond member don't expect much consideration. They proudly point to the 'Executive Lounge' on the 15th floor as your 'benefit', but the breakfast provided there amounts to a large vat of scrambled eggs, cereal, and bread. If you want the buffet breakfast (like you get at Hilton Garden Inn or Embassy Suites) you'll have to fork over $16 a plate. As an aside that buffet in the restaurant is about on par with an Embassy breakfast. The prices of all their menu items is high, but that's normal in a tourist area. However, their room service menu is over-the-top expensive. It does not include any 'munchies' like nachos, quesadillas, or chicken fingers. It does have Brie cheese platters and Scallop appetizers. The hotel is trying to be upscale but it really falls short. The staff was pleasant and helpful. No issues there. Next time we go to St. Pete we're probably going to stay at the Hampton right down the street.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear DontAsk4AScreen, thank you for your feedback and I am sorry to read of your disappointment with your stay. I have shared your review with our culinary staff as we always strive to improve, also I would like to share that we will be undergoing a refresh of the hotel this year, thank you, Dave Prophet GM