“Disappointing--an aging resort past its prime”

The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed April 3, 2007

I just came back from my stay at the Rennaissance Vinoy, and overall was disappointed. It came highly recommended from another resort at St. Pete Beach that was overbooked, and they said this resort was actually better. So I came with some high expectations, and from the moment I stepped foot on the property I was dissapointed.

I notice the little details. Stepping into the elevator, I noticed the scuff marks, scratches--signs of poor maintenance everywhere. The pictures on the website make it look like a grand old hotel, in a good way. But it is just plain old....in the bad way. Everywhere you look you see a lack of attention to maintenance and cleanliness. Cracked tile, old, faded paint, low quality poolside furniture, etc. The spa is more like a YMCA, with formica counter tops, dreary walls, shabby laundry hampers, faded beige towels, chipped and peeling cabinet doors, smelly sauna, etc.

There are limited options for dining on site. There is a casual restaurant close to the pool, and an expensive restaurant inside, and that's all I could see. The poolside snack bar was pathetic....very cheap and tacky.

The hotel is located next to condos and a residential area. There was a lot of construction going on since they are building a new condo highrise, so the streets were blocked, torn up, etc. The hotel is not surrounded by nice places to eat, walk around, etc., as far as I could see.

If you are looking to be pampered at an upscale, luxurious resort, you will be disappointed. If you are looking for just a standard, average place, then maybe you will be satisfied. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either.

• Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank Calartist
There are newer reviews for The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club

Reviewed February 11, 2007

This is a splendid and gracious hotel with a wonderful history of which they are justly proud. Sorry to say, this hotel is unrecognizable from several reviews which I read here before going there. I didn't find refuse around the swimming pool or a haughty attitude at all. Instead, I found the service to be very good and the property well kept . Special mention goes to The Marchand Restaurant , a very fine dining establishment where we enjoyed top notch food and lovely service. The smaller, clubbier Fred's is also excellent -- although I am not quite sure how it bests the Marchand. The Alfresco restaurant was fine for casual dining-- although it doesn't hold a candle to either of the previously named venues.

As to the room I occupied, thanks to the previous Trip Advisor for the advice about asking for a room ending in 77 in the new building. It was was sizeable and gave me a nice seating area, two balconies, a good sized bathroom and views of the tennis courts. Since these rooms are identical in price to every other room facing the same direction, this was a delightful place--especially for an extended stay--mine lasted 11 days. I was able to use the living room for business meetings.

Again, I found the service to be very good. My housekeeper was very fast and the room made up early --no waiting til they've done the check-outs to get the occupied rooms in ship shape. Another example was when I needed a button sewed back on, put my blazer in a laundry bag with instructions. They performed this sewing job gratis which is certainly unexpected today at most hotels . It also amazed me that the tennis courts are free to registered guests. Quite a bargain! I also liked the coffee bar in the lobby. It opens onto the wonderful wide porch where you could sip your coffee and gaze at the boats across the road.

If I had any complaint. it was not with the hotel but with the weather. It should be noted that central Florida is not the balmy Florida of your dreams in January and early February and can get downright cold at night. My visit coincided with the worst tornadoes in memory--some truly impressive storms which woke us one night and which caused much damage further inland. St. Petersburg is growing by leaps and bounds which is only a good thing since there is a dearth of good restaurants. Of special note was the Indian Grill- spectacularlly good Indian food and the pleasnant Parkside , an easy walk from the Vinoy.

All in all, a good hotel for business, a great location in
St. Pete.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Writer46
Reviewed February 11, 2007

Hotel is beautiful, but the service was so poor. I had called ahead to confirm my room over looking the bay and when we arrived, they did not have our room. We got to look out over the valet into some trees/drainage ditch. The concierge was useless. When asked, numerous times in person and on the phone, for a ride to a local church 4 blocks away, she finally said the van did not go in that direction. The room needed some paint touch-ups, the bathroom had hair all over the floor. They claimed we took a bottle of water from the minibar, which we did not even know we had a mini bar in the room. When leaving, we asked for a bell boy and were told they were busy and it would be 20 minutes before anyone would come to our room. So we took our own luggage down to find the bell boys all conversing in the valet area. Very disappointing. I recommend the Hilton down the road. They at least offer wine and cheese on arrival! Nothing special about the Vinoy!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelerAtlanta
Reviewed January 29, 2007

I had a brief stay here in late summer 2006. The hotel itself is very nice, but I cannot agree with it's 5 star status. The room was well-maintained, although I concur with previous postings about bathrooms needing something better than a "once-over".

Service is overall good, not excellent or up to 5 stars. Perhaps it was due the recent renovations or protocol, but drinks were not able to be served outside on the front deck. However, I was able to take a cocktail from a makeshift bar (lacking normal set up liquors) outside, only to sit down and then approached by a server with a food menu for me. Valets were inconsistent but always pleasant. Across the board I found it was always better to deal with someone who looked like they were older and of higher ranking.

Overall, for business travelers like myself, the hotel was just fine. I would have been dissapointed had I spent the money on this as a weekend or vacation destination.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank jigs
Reviewed January 18, 2007

We stayed from Christmas Eve through to New Years Eve and were charmed by this hotel. No it isn't a grand five star place but it has terrific people working there who want you to have a great stay. Luckily our Christmas meal and all our breakfasts were included in our stay and the breakfasts were worth having! Great bacon and never any trouble to help you get your eggs just the way you want! I thought the decorations for Christmas were charming and the hotel coped very well with the tornado on Christmas day!

The laundry facilities (in the basement of the car park) were never busy (you need quarters for the machines) and room service was very prompt and thorough and got a good tip from us. Personally I'd have liked a bit more variety with the TV channels but that's just me. It's a great place to walk from into St P and also along the sea front and there is a good jogging track to the golf course - about 3 miles each way. There is a street market on Central on a Saturday morning that was very quaint and I'd recomment Central for finding places to eat (especially over Bay Walk which was all chains).

One thing to watch out for if you aren't American - you can park your car on the street for free ($14 valet) but you must face the direction of travel when you park!!

Go, enjoy! You will have a relaxing and charming stay!

Stayed: December 2006
Reviewed January 1, 2007

I have stayed at the Vinoy several times and each time I have some good experiences and some bad experiences, there is a lack of consistency. But the hotel is nicely updated, the rooms pleasant and the staff friendly.

The pool needs updating and the Health Club is never fully operational...this time the steam room was down.

I believe this could be a luxury hotel but some how misses the boat

• Stayed: December 2006
4  Thank parcvue
Reviewed November 20, 2006

We just spent 3 nights at this property. Don't get me wrong, it is nice. However, In my opinion it lacked a certain something to put it over the top and live up to it's rating as a 5 star hotel. Firstly, we were quite unfortunate that for the 3 days of our stay, there was unseasonably cold weather in St Petes. It was in the 40's and very windy. However, coats were required in all of the communal areas, as the air conditioning was ferociously cold as though it was a balmy 90 degree August day. None of the management appeared to realize the need to adjust it - so we all sat in the lobby bar drinking with our coats on shivering.
We got a decent rate, and the staff were genuinely nice, respectful and polite. Not one of them was rude or snotty or unhelpful as can sometimes be the case in nice resort hotels.
I liked the decor of the hotel, and our room was nice and very comfortable/ adequate. Perhaps the bathrooms could have been a bit fancier, or something. Maybe the landscaping by the pool area could have been prettier. I don't know, it was 'just ok'. The pool itself was ok but lacking in atmosphere. Perhaps they should play some calipso and plant a few hibiscus or something.
We had a very expensive meal at the main restaurant, which was nice. But it wasn't awesome...and certainly not for the $500 it cost for 6 of us. For $500 I expect delectable food, and I have had it for a fraction of that elsewhere. My fish was quite bland, my salad lacking something, and my $16 appetizer contained pre-frozen shrimp; a disappoinment.
Drinks were very expensive, $3 for a bottle of water by the pool, etc. Sunday brunch $50 a head. It really is unjustifiably pricey to eat and drink there... but there are other good local options for breakfast/ lunch/ dinner. St Petes as a destination is really for golfers I would say. Was not very impressed with it as a vacation destination. Love the gulf coast but prefer other locations.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
Hollander Hotel
Hollander Hotel
#3 of 42 in St. Petersburg
Hampton Inn and Suites St. Petersburg Downtown

Been to The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!