“Beautiful hotel, dining so-so.”

The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Jacksonville, FL
“Beautiful hotel, dining so-so.”
Reviewed March 14, 2010

The Vinoy is beautiful and well maintained. Our room was quiet, clean, and the bed very comfortable. The front desk and bell hop staff were prompt, efficient, and friendly. Food and wait staff, not quite as good. We dined at Marchand 's (lovely room) twice and both times experienced very disappointing service. We ate at the bar and had to chase down bar tenders more than once to place an order. After a long wait, the food was nicely presented and tasty. On a Saturday evening, we had an unprepared server, and that affected the entire experience. Additionally, the shrimp was extremely salty, and we sent it back. The chef agreed. No apology from the dining room manager nor any type of special offer (free dessert would have been nice) to compensate for poor quality control in the kitchen and a tainted dining experience. Breakfast buffet at Alfrescos's was a real let down, Overpriced, mediocre food, and a very noisy dining room. There are better dining choices nearby for a more spectacular breakfast buffet (Shapiro's looked very interesting) . We would stay at the Vinoy again, but may try other dining options in the area as there are plenty to choose from.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sunshine4650

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
  • Turkish first
Algood, Tennessee
Reviewed March 13, 2010

I came to play tennis specifically. The courts were so well taken care of. The grounds were clean and manicured. The staff was friendly. And the parking permit was validated since I was using the tennis courts. That saved me $6 and my car was safe!

• Liked — tennis courts
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
New Jersey
Reviewed March 6, 2010

We had a great experience from the moment we walked in the door. I stayed in the tower. My room was ready when I got there, even though I was early for check in. It was spacious, clean and comfy. Oh, and quiet--there were others on my floor, but I didn't hear them. I loved the balcony with the view of the bay. My friends and I had cocktails and a fabulous breakfast (not at the same time!) in Marchand. The pool area was clean and our waitress brought us automatic refills (comped) for our iced teas. The concierges were helpful, and we got a rental car delivered to the hotel without any fuss.In fact, all of the staff I dealt with were wonderful. I've stayed in a lot hotels over the years for business and pleasure, and I'd return here in a snap. And as a single woman staying there, I felt safe. This is important. My only complaints--the internet in the rooms was slow to non existent and my breakfast room service was a little late and slightly mixed up (but tasty).

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 26, 2010

This is my second stay at this hotel, and again was very pleased with the facilities and the attentive service I received. Any requests to the front desk to bring something to our room (towels, tissue box, luggage cart) were answered within five minutes each time.

The hotel is situated downtown, and within walking distance to a lot of great restaurants.

The only negative part of this hotel is since it's a "Resort" MR Gold members do not get breakfast.

Philadelphia
Reviewed February 21, 2010

From the second our taxi pulled up at the from entrance, the experience was exceptional. The bellman that took us to our room called us by name each time he saw us and made sure we could get dinner, despite the kitchen closing. The barman remembered my husband's single malt preference and the breakfast waitress was charming.

Not only would we highly recommend, we will likely go out of our way to go back. It truly deserves it's top 100 hotels ranking (and we have stayed at many that don't!).

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
Reviewed February 19, 2010

This is a fair property in a great location but beware of staff that might be working their own side deals. I had a prearranged car service to the airport and the valet tried to pull a quick switch to a car/driver who provided a tip to him (while pretending that he had identified my arranged driver). There was no way this was a mistake and the valet seemed pretty upset when I caught him and got out of the car. This type of problem only happens if management isn't paying attention or doesn't care. Find a property where you don't need to worry about the trustworthiness of the staff.

Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Reviewed February 13, 2010

Just returned from a two night stay at the Renaissance Vinoy, and wish I could have stayed longer! Each staff member we encountered was extremely efficient and professional. We had the sense that the staff took pride in their jobs and the hotel. Our room was expansive, with a beautiful view of the Bay. Large bathroom, comfortable chairs, wonderful beds added to our comfort. We ate dinner and breakfast in the Marchand, and found it to be a fist class experience both times. This hotel's renovation was obviously accomplished with great attention to detail. The Vinoy is listed in the Historic Register, and evokes memories of a genteel and gracious era. Can't wait to go back!

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Petersburg
#4 of 42 in St. Petersburg
Hilton Saint Petersburg Carillon Park
Hampton Inn and Suites St. Petersburg Downtown
Staybridge Suites St. Petersburg Downtown

Been to The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!