The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
New Jersey
“Great Experience”
Reviewed March 6, 2010

We had a great experience from the moment we walked in the door. I stayed in the tower. My room was ready when I got there, even though I was early for check in. It was spacious, clean and comfy. Oh, and quiet--there were others on my floor, but I didn't hear them. I loved the balcony with the view of the bay. My friends and I had cocktails and a fabulous breakfast (not at the same time!) in Marchand. The pool area was clean and our waitress brought us automatic refills (comped) for our iced teas. The concierges were helpful, and we got a rental car delivered to the hotel without any fuss.In fact, all of the staff I dealt with were wonderful. I've stayed in a lot hotels over the years for business and pleasure, and I'd return here in a snap. And as a single woman staying there, I felt safe. This is important. My only complaints--the internet in the rooms was slow to non existent and my breakfast room service was a little late and slightly mixed up (but tasty).

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 26, 2010

This is my second stay at this hotel, and again was very pleased with the facilities and the attentive service I received. Any requests to the front desk to bring something to our room (towels, tissue box, luggage cart) were answered within five minutes each time.

The hotel is situated downtown, and within walking distance to a lot of great restaurants.

The only negative part of this hotel is since it's a "Resort" MR Gold members do not get breakfast.

Philadelphia
Reviewed February 21, 2010

From the second our taxi pulled up at the from entrance, the experience was exceptional. The bellman that took us to our room called us by name each time he saw us and made sure we could get dinner, despite the kitchen closing. The barman remembered my husband's single malt preference and the breakfast waitress was charming.

Not only would we highly recommend, we will likely go out of our way to go back. It truly deserves it's top 100 hotels ranking (and we have stayed at many that don't!).

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
Reviewed February 19, 2010

This is a fair property in a great location but beware of staff that might be working their own side deals. I had a prearranged car service to the airport and the valet tried to pull a quick switch to a car/driver who provided a tip to him (while pretending that he had identified my arranged driver). There was no way this was a mistake and the valet seemed pretty upset when I caught him and got out of the car. This type of problem only happens if management isn't paying attention or doesn't care. Find a property where you don't need to worry about the trustworthiness of the staff.

Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Reviewed February 13, 2010

Just returned from a two night stay at the Renaissance Vinoy, and wish I could have stayed longer! Each staff member we encountered was extremely efficient and professional. We had the sense that the staff took pride in their jobs and the hotel. Our room was expansive, with a beautiful view of the Bay. Large bathroom, comfortable chairs, wonderful beds added to our comfort. We ate dinner and breakfast in the Marchand, and found it to be a fist class experience both times. This hotel's renovation was obviously accomplished with great attention to detail. The Vinoy is listed in the Historic Register, and evokes memories of a genteel and gracious era. Can't wait to go back!

Atlanta
Reviewed February 13, 2010

The list is long as to why I would not recommend this hotel to a living soul but here you go:

Huge bug on floor dead
Carpets worn to the bone, frayed
Sofa was ripped
Grout on bathroom floor black although it is white
Shower - they put the bath mat and soaps on the floor of the shower lying on top of the dirty drain and I guess they thought that was clever because they meant to do it!
Hair on shower floor, hair on bathroom floor
Hinge and track area of shower was corroded with heaven knows what - disgusting!
Upholstery in general in room has to be from 1996 when this "new" tower was built and hasn't been redone since then
Threshold going into the bedroom was unbelievably beat up
Room service - We filled out the overnight card that you hang on your door for the morning service. Asked for simple Cheerios (What hotel does not have Cheerios, especially at $400/night) and instead of calling me to let me know that they do not have Cheerios, they sent up substitutions of their own choosing. When I called down to see why I didn't have Cheerios, they said they don't carry them and had given me the others instead! How did they know I wanted that? If I had sent them back and asked for oatmeal instead at that point, I would have missed my morning appointment as it would have made me late. They should have called the room to let me know about the cereal and not taken it upon themselves to make my substitution choice for me! Bacon was terribly greasy even though we asked for "crispy" to avoid it being greasy. Poured the water for my tea and something awful came out with the water and floated around in my cup prior to me putting in the teabag so I know it wasn't a tea leaf. $50 later, still hungry and thirsty! Unreal! No time to get something else sent up, had an appointment to get to!

Bottom line, $500 later and I am completely and utterly infuriated! I stay in Marriott's quite a bit (which is the parent company to this hotel, I stay at Ritz Carlton (again a Marriott subsidiary) and this is by far the worst hotel I have seen in this chain. I've stayed in $150/night hotels with my daughter's volleyball team that were nicer than this! Do yourself a favor and stay anywhere but here!

JBH - Atlanta

4 Thank JBHAtlanta
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 29, 2010

The Vinoy has been well maintained in the last few years since I was last here. The property and the grounds are very lovely and the staff has been very friendly as well as attentive. We were at the hotel for a business meeting followed by several days of leisure. Very satisified with our decision to stay over vs. moving to another property.

Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Hollander Hotel
#3 of 42 in St. Petersburg
Hampton Inn and Suites St. Petersburg Downtown
Staybridge Suites St. Petersburg Downtown

Been to The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!