“Unbelievable service”

The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed March 25, 2009

I have just returned from a five night stay at this hotel. Every staff member was only too happy to help and make sure your stay was perfect. I would especially mention Jeffrey the bell boy and Joanne the concierge who was most helpful and both ready to give recommendations and tips on what to see in the area.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,834)

Reviewed March 25, 2009

Me, my husband and my daughter stayed here 03/20 - 03/22. The Vinoy is centrally located on the waterfront. The Pier and Baywalk are all within walking distance. The hotel entrance is very inviting and the lobby area is very beautiful. The front desk clerk at check-in was not too friendly. However, the young man that assisted me and my husband with our luggage (Christopher) was very helpful and friendly. By the way, my husband is disable and has to use a manual wheelchair to get around. Upon check-in I was given a room in the tower bldg. on the 7th floor. After I was told that I would have to go on one elevator, then down one floor, then to get on another elevator......"you get the picture", I requested for a room in the main bldg. because there was no way I was going to go through all of that with a disabled person and a 5 year old. I was given a room on the 4th floor of the main bldg. Upon entrance, it was very nice and roomy. The bad thing was the carpet was discolored in one location, as if bleach had gotten on it and the bathroom toilet was "FILTHY". After seeing how filthy the toilet was, I came to the conclusion that the bathroom had not been cleaned at all or had been poorly cleaned. I was too tired to change rooms; therefore, we cleaned the bathroom ourselves. The next day I did call housekeeping and requested for our room to be cleaned. I made a complaint to the cleaning lady. Needless to say, she did a good job cleaning the room and the bathroom. "I watched her". We had an opportunity to eat breakfast at Alfresco's. The staff was friendly but, $16.95 adult / $8.95 child per person for the buffet breakfast was not worth the $$$$. We also had dinner at Alfresco's and ordered from the menu. The food was pretty good, but again nothing to brag home about. We took my daughter to the pool. She had a blast. The pool area and the hotel grounds are very nice and well-kept. The pool servers & staff were very friendly and helpful in assisting my husband while I was monitoring my daughter in the pool. Now, the best part about my entire stay was enjoying the "CHOCOLATE BAR" @ Marchand's. I'm told they over this every Saturday night for only "$10". It was delicious and well worth the money, if you love chocolate. I would stay here again, but I would be certain to check over the room, especially the bathroom, as soon as I get in there.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 26, 2009

We just returned from a week long trip to Tampa and stayed at the Vinoy for a majority of the stay. We were impressed. The rooms were great, the bathrooms were roomy, food was terrific, and the service was unmatched across the board. You are withing walking distance to many great restraunts, although I would recommend bringing confortable shoes....not 9 inch heels:)! You are very close to golf courses, and the conceirge will help you set everything up, with one call! Can't say enough good things about this property!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2009

Very poor value. Our 1 bedroom suite was $599. The room has had some surface updates making it appear okay but the bathroom tired and not fresh. The towels were tattered and worn. We asked housekeeping for nicer ones and they returned with nothing better. Pool towels just as worn.

Pool area also tired and not what you would expect from a hotel of this class and location. Horrible cabanas not even next to pool that look more like tent shades from Target. Drinks are served in Keg cups. No class or ambiance- no relaxing. 80s music was blasting all day at pool.

The property did not feel secure. Anyone could mill about entering from parking garage without a key into elevator. Some of the keyed doors from outside were broken so you could enter without key.

The Marchaud restaurant was its saving grace. Wonderful menu and atmosphere. They have a chocolate bar on Friday and brunch on Sunday.

The location is great but a shame that this is the only "nice" resort hotel. I would save money and stay at the Hampton Hotel by the yacht club and just dine at the Vinoy. The spa was not even anything to write home about.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2009

Great hotel. Very friendly staff. Excellent location. Absolutely loved the pool. Only drawback was breakfast service. VERY slow! Rooms very clean and comfortable though and we rented bikes from the health club which was fun as the hotel is in a great location right next to the water.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 10, 2009

My wife and I used Marriott Rewards points to stay at the Vinoy over New Year's Eve. This is a slow time for the hotel. We ate at Fred's on New Year's Eve. The food and services were as usual superb, even if the bill was a little high. New Year's Eve will do that.

Since we used points we got a room in the original, older part of the hotel, not the tower we stayed in before. The rooms in the original part of the hotel are pretty snug. As a matter of fact, the drawer space was such that I never really unpacked. The closet also maxed out pretty quickly. The designer of the hotel intentionally made the rooms small to encourage the use of public spaces.

The room had a 37 inch LG high definition TV. Since we had come down for the Outback Bowl this was a winner for me until I found that most of the channels were unwatchable. I called down to the front desk and the problem was fixed. It took two days to fix th problem, but the staff were attentive to the issue.

We do love this hotel. It is a grand hotel from the 1920s that is not cut off like the Breakers or the Boca Raton Resort, so you can actually get out into the town by foot to explore and eat at a variety of restaurants. We will be back.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank Robert R
Reviewed January 5, 2009

Stayed at the Vinoy over the New Year period. The hotel is right on the waterfront, within easy walking distance of a good range of restaurants and the pier. It's a nice area to spend time in and it's pedestrian friendly.

The hotel dates back to 1925 and it was lovely to wander around a hotel with character rather than a modern box. If you've ridden "Tower of Terror" at Disney World, the pink stucco exterior and large vaulted lobby will look strangely familiar! Nice outdoor pool area (heated).

Rooms are either in the main building (billed as Historic on the hotel website) or a modern tower, which is connected to the main building. We had chosen the cheapest room on the back of the main building. These rooms are described on the hotel website as 'no view' and this is fair - the high rooms have a view of roof tops and hotel utilities, the lower rooms simply have a view of a wall. Some rooms also suffer from being next to very noisy (& smelly) extractors from the kitchens, which isn't mentioned on the website. Most rooms on the back are fairly small. If you can afford it, I think the bay view rooms would be worth the extra and offer a much nicer experience. Excellent housekeeping - didn't experience any of the problems other reviewers have noted.

There are 3 restaurants in the hotel and there are other restaurants nearby - Parkshore Grill was particularly good.

The large relaxing verandah is a great place to have a drink. The bar in the centre of Marchands restuarant is also nice.

New Year celebrations in St. Pete included the family friendly First Night, with events along the waterfront and in venues around the area and fireworks.

Would definitely return to St. Pete and this hotel again.

Stayed: December 2008
Hampton Inn and Suites St. Petersburg Downtown
Avalon Hotel
Avalon Hotel
#1 of 43 in St. Petersburg

Been to The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!