“An excellent place, when you don't have to listen to their music”

The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Washington, DC
“An excellent place, when you don't have to listen to their music”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Over Christmas week, we ducked out of family obligations for a night away at the historic Vinoy. It is a lovely property, and all of our interactions with staff were great. Rooms in historic properties can vary significantly. We were in the historic portion of the building, in a 5th floor room with a king bed. The size was large relative to other Renaissance properties we've stayed at. And, of course, the furnishings were similar (up to date, tasteful, comfortable bedding, clean room). The bathroom was up to date, pleasant, and clean. Robes are always a nice touch!

What nearly ruined our stay was the music from downstairs! Unfortunately, this is a property that nickles and dimes you on things, so I had gone downstairs to the lobby for the free wi-fi (rather than pay $10-15 for in-room wi-fi). That alone bugs me, but then the music in the lobby was so hard to take -- kind of hipster club music, which was really out of keeping with the property, and made sitting in the otherwise lovely surrounding on the front porch (or in the weirdly decorated lobby) unpleasant. So I finished up my business and went upstairs to escape the music only to find that the bar downstairs had a live band playing from 5-7. Thinking it was just the crappy lobby music that was somehow making its way to our room, I called the front desk. When I learned that there was really no escape or way for them to turn the music down, I decided to "grin and bear it", but it was an extremely painful stretch of time waiting for the music to stop. PLEASE PLEASE spend your next rennovation dollars on soundproofing the windows in the historic section so future guests don't have to suffer.

Once the music stopped, the hotel instantly transformed into the gem that it is.

The illy coffee available at the little shop in the lobby is great, and at least one barrista knows what she's doing (one of my lattes was superb, the other just okay).

We opted for the breakfest buffet, which is rather pricey, but jam-packed (with things like omelets and waffles to order, smoked salmon, lots of fresh fruit). The price is comparable to a similar buffet at a nice Carribean resort, so not out of line for what you get, but not a bargain, either. Also, the lovely restaurant offers ala carte options for reasonable prices. Only drawback at breakfast was slow service for anything that relied on waitstaff (slow to take order, get coffee, get made to order items, get check).

One other note to corporate Marriott: why do you insist on making the Renaissance properties decorate their lobbies like southbeach clubs? The decor is jarring to me, and I would much prefer that this unique properties be allowed to decorate their lobbies tastefully and individually in keeping with the overall theme of the hotel.

We hope that we'll be able to stay at the Vinoy again and try out some of the amenities (pool, spa, etc.)

Room Tip: We stayed in the original building on the 5th floor in a bay view room. The room was lovely. Only dr...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Everyone at the Vinoy, staff and guests, were so pleasant and friendly. The staff was very accommodating and my favorite thing was that the heated pool was a wonderful temperature, even on cooler days. We had a lovely room and also enjoyed the top notch health club facility. Can't wait to come back another time!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed at the property for one night, and had reserved two rooms, high floor, bayside. I am a member of the Marriott rewards programs, so I am able to place requests at the hotels we stayed in. We arrived early, which was ok, since we were planning a visit to the Salvador Dali Museum, just down the street. We checked in, and they stored our luggage. The young lady told us they would call me when the room was ready, and she wrote my number down. First, they never called. When we came back, I went up to the desk, and the room were ready; wrong floor, wrong side of the hotel, and by the elevator. What? I expect better from this quality hotel. Had to come down, and asked to be moved. By that time our rooms were separated, and we ended up staying by the elevator. Not a great experience. Will give the benefit of the doubt because the property is beautiful, and the restoration was done with care. We will give it another chance, but for now, just 4 stars when it could have been 5!

Room Tip: Ask for Bayside. The sunrise is spectacular!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Jeanette R, Manager at The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
First let me begin by thanking you for staying with us. I certainly appreciate your patronage. As you can imagine, I was sorry that your check-in experience is not what we had hoped and planned for you. The satisfaction of our guests is our number one priority - it always has been and always will be. I would love the opportunity to regain your confidence so I would ask that you contact me directly when you have future reservations booked. It would be a pleasure to assist in any way that I can. Judging by your other compliments, you obviously were a fan of the Vinoy, so I am hopeful that you will visit again soon. Please contact me (Jeanette Rivera) at 727-824-8028. I will look forward to another opportunity to provide a more positive check-in experience. Thank you.
Farmington, CT
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

After close to 30 years as Marriott Club members we are now Gold Status. This was recognized at check in and we were given a choice of two different room configurations. The staff here could not have been nicer!
The hotel was built in 1925, and had many different metamorphoses in the ensuing years.
We are thrilled that it is now a Marriott property, in this picture postcard location, we hope to be back many more times!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Amherst, New Hampshire
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We've admired the beautiful Vinoy facade on earlier visits to Saint Petersburgh and decided to take advantage of special holiday pricing for a three-night stay over the New Year. The location is ideal for downtown or waterfront celebrations like First Night since the hotel is on the quiet edge of the downtown area, across the street from the pier and marina. Our room was nice enough but not overly clean--the bathroom needs renovating, and a soiled robe was promptly replaced with a clean one. The view was lousy (our room was at the rear of the main building, with a view of other buildings and the loud rooftop HAV units), but the bed was extremely comfortable and the service was excellent. The room amenities were pretty standard. We loved the opulence and Floridian decor of the public areas--the ony eyesore, which the hotel couldn't control, I guess, was the scantily dressed teens, barefoot and knees up, lounging all over the settees, oblivious to the world. Too bad for all the holiday celebrants and wedding attendees who had dressed up for their special occasion, having to share the venue with people who don't appreciate the difference between public and private space.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the rear of the main building, looking out over the roof and noisy heating/AC units.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
louisiana
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We were staying on Beach Drive (another hotel) but our St. Pete resident and friiend suggested we have drinks and a light meal on the terrace/veranda at the Vinoy. Wow.
We enjoyed martinis, wine and sliders and had wonderful service.
It was pricey but well worth every cent. You can sit in rocking chairs or on comfortable couches and watch a little slice of the world go by. The view is of a bay and marina. The ships were lit with Christmas lights. It was a perfect evening. When in St. Petersburg, treat yourself and go for a drink or two at the Vinoy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mac6
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I spent 4 days at the St. Vinoy, and have to say, it was a fantastic stay. The staff were friendly and great, and the rooms (i believe i was in a renovated room with balcony) was like a dream.

I didn't dine at the hotel, as I like to experience local eateries, but did manage to have one room service breakfast which was typical of Marriott.

Needless to say, It was very relaxing, and I would gladly return!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
#4 of 42 in St. Petersburg
Hilton Saint Petersburg Carillon Park
Hampton Inn and Suites St. Petersburg Downtown
Staybridge Suites St. Petersburg Downtown

Been to The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!