“wonderful birthday get away”

The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed August 8, 2008

I live in the Tampa Bay area and wanted to have a local upscale getaway for my b.day night. My man and I decided on the Vinoy and were very pleased. Every staff member was kind ,pleasant, and willing to provide excellent service. We had a nice room in the tower on the third floor-although I would have preferred to be higher up. As other reviewers have stated the bed was extremely comforatable, wonderful linens and pillows. The rest of the room was quite basic and everything was very clean . We had a lovely little balcony with a beautiful view.We really enjoyed the pool, swimming in the afternoon, at 10pm after dinner, and the next morning. The hotel has an abundance of character, and a variety of lovely restaurants to choose from. I would definetly stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patrish8
There are newer reviews for The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club

Reviewed July 10, 2008

I had first stayed at the Vinoy about 10 years ago, and when I was surprised by baseball tickets, I immediately suggested we stay at the Vinoy. We had a standard room (624). It wasn't as spacious as I remember, but I suspect it's because it was a room with a single king bed as opposed to two queens. But the furnishings were beautiful. There was a well-stocked service bar in which the products were actually reasonably priced. The room was very clean, nicely appointed, and the bed, wow, to die for. I didn't want to get up! An unexpected treat was the hotel provided a very plush full-size bus to get all us Red Sox fans from the hotel to the Trop. Gratis. The bar area was nice. The pool area was okay, the water being on the cool side for June in FL. The restaurant at the pool was outstanding for both service and food. Marchands' was average, the waitstaff seemed overwhelmed. The gallery with the history of the Vinoy was fascinating. I will go back. If it's good enough for the baseball teams when in town, it's good enough for me!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Fruitcake13
Reviewed July 4, 2008

Room was fine. Staff and services at Hotel did not meet expectations of the supposedly best hotel in St Pete and was not worth the price.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2008

We booked this hotel on Expedia.com and were able to get a great rate of 135.00 per night (Florida resident rate). We thought that was a bargain and were very excited about staying at the Vinoy for the first time.

The purpose of our trip was to attend a Tuesday and Wednesday night game at the Tropicana (Rays vs Red Sox). We checked in to the hotel on Tuesday night after the game and the young lady at the front desk was very friendly! We asked if it would be possible to get a room with a balcony and she was able to put us in a tower room facing the water.

We found our way to our room and were very impressed with how nicely the hotel has been maintained. It has a casual elegance and we fell in love with the ambiance of the resort. After we dropped our luggage off in our room we headed down to the lobby bar. The bartender was fantastic! She was very friendly and efficient and really knew how to make a drink.

We had one drink at the bar and walked back to our room and were very lucky to be able to meet Terry Francona in the elevator!!! That was the highlight of our trip!

We slept like babies both nights. We found the bed to be very comfortable. The in-room coffee was drinkable but nothing special. Housekeeping was great and our maid even left a thank-you note for us after cleaning our room on Wednesday.

There is a huge wrap-around porch on the front of the hotel with plenty of seating. Wicker rockers, chairs and small sofas abound. This was also the designated smoking area but we didn't see very many people there smoking during our short stay.

We had dinner at Marchand's Bar and Grill after the game on Wednesday evening. We sat at the bar and again had great service and wonderful drinks. We shared a small steak and mushroom pizza that seemed to have spent a long time in the kitchen waiting to be brought out to us.

Our best meal by far was at Moon Under Water which is a very nice bar/restaurant located a hop, skip and jump away from the resort.

We would absolutely stay here again if we could score another great deal on the room. I've tried for years to win a Priceline bid for this hotel but have never been lucky enough to score one. We were extremely pleased with our stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Barneslover
Reviewed June 23, 2008

All the positive reviews are dead on!!! I cannot say enough positive things about the hotel. We booked the hotel by calling the hotel direct. We booked a bay view room (with 5 of us I was worried this would not be enough room but for 1 night, whatever). When we got to check in I talked to the front desk, the guy said "Would you rather have space or a view?" Well of course, space, and with that simple answer we were put in rooms 210 and 212 and wonderful junior suite. That alone would have given this a A+ review, but it just didnt stop there. Having 3 small hungry and restless kids, it was time to go and burn some engery. Here is the only negative, it was raining and not alot for kids to do. We wondered around the property and had dinner at Alfresco. The waiter there was amazing. Catered to the kids as if they were the royal family. Still raining we went back to our room after dinner, and I guess being a rewards member, or maybe I made mention of the fact we were celebrating an anniversary, when we arrived back to our room there was goodies and sparkling wine for the adults and milk and cookies for the kids, yumm!!!
When it finally stopped raining we took the kids swimming, the pool was a little chilly for my taste, but, it had been raining all day. There were all kinds of pool toys for them to play with so we were out 'till almost 11pm.
Day 2: This is the one thing that bothered me, Renissance Hotel has always been one of my favorites since you get fresh coffee and hot chocolate delived to your room at wake up, but, this branch does not offer that service, pitty. We opted for the breakfast buffet at Alfresco it was ok, but, not wonderful. The kids loved it, but, for me for $17 I just want a little more choice and some homemade fresh pastery. Kids 3-12 are 1/2 off and under 3 are free.
Than we were off to the game, now, the hotel does offer free shuttles to the game (they leave every 1/2 hour starting 2 hours prior and pick up starts at the bottom of the 9th. You CANNOT call if you want to leave early) we opted to take our own car with the kids.
FYI...The stadium offers FREE PARKING if there are 4 or more in your car.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank TiredMom2D3JS
Reviewed June 20, 2008

Booked the Vinoy at a coworkers recommendation and I cannot say enough positive things about the hotel! Very glad I chose the Vinoy and Historic St Pete area.

Rooms: I stayed in the "Tower" with partial Harbor views and was very happy. The rooms are great, good size and spotless. The rooms include robes and the most comfortable bed I've every slept in.

I'd recommend booking the "Tower" Rooms versus the Historic Rooms. The Tower Rooms have balconies and as a result the ability for fresh air. The Historic rooms are identical to the Tower Rooms w/o the balcony and unfortunately windows that do not open. The Historic rooms are simply in the historic building, not finished in their original style.

Restaurants: Breakfast in Machand was very nice. Lunch in Alfresco's was ok - food was fresh, but not inspired.

Pool: Large, clean and well laid out. Lots of room for the chaises and enough room to share the pool with kids and adults.

Spa: Awesome. Had a great facial and mani/pedi. Facial products are Phytomer (nice) and mani/pedi very well done. Made appt on Friday morning for same afternoon.

Staff: The front desk was very helpful and responsive to all my requests. All the employees were friendly and seemed happy to help and work there. The desk, restaurant, pool, bar and spa staff were fantastic!

Surrounding area: Downtown historic St. Petersburg is great. Walkable, interesting and neat little shops. Quite but felt like a downtown area.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank sandshoes
Reviewed June 20, 2008

Loved the old world charm of the hotel......The rooms were clean and comfortable. We had dinner at Marchand's Bar and Grill which was simply delightful.....Loved the grandness of the room and had one of the best steaks I have ever eaten. We would have loved to have tried Fred's restaurant but there is a dress code which we were not preapred for. The staff were helpful and pleasant. We had a bayview room which overlooked the harbor and the park

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Hollander Hotel
Hollander Hotel
#3 of 42 in St. Petersburg
Hampton Inn and Suites St. Petersburg Downtown

Been to The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!