“Lovely lobby, weird layout of rooms, nice location”

The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I was very excited to finally try out the Vinoy. From the outside the property is obviously historic St. Petersburg. The setting on the bay was lovely and inviting.

My initial entrance into he Vinoy was just lovely. The lobby is historic yet very modern. I honestly wish I had a house that looked like the lobby. The check-in desk did not over power the lobby and I felt welcomed. The front desk reps offered water and a fast check-in.

I went out for a run one day and the front desk offered cold water as well on my return. Unexpected treat that goes a long way!

Now the rooms, this is where it gets a little dodgy. It's kind of like the lottery. I checked in with a group and a bunch of us showed off our rooms. I had a standard room with a window and large square, basic bathroom. Two people in our group however had MUCH nicer rooms at the same rate. Ones with Juliet balconies and hallways leading to their bathrooms. Their room was MUCH nicer than mine.

The downside of the room is that it was standard furniture and look. I always wish the trendy, modern, stylish lobby furnishings would translate into the room but it did not in any way. The room furniture was basic run of the mill hotel furniture. My room was also rather dark based on being in the corner near the elevator. My suggestion is ask a lot of questions about the room before committing.

Value? Well I found the property to be a bit overpriced. It is definitely more expensive that other local hotels. Some of that price is justified but overall I can't say that it is completely worth it if you are watching your budget.

Room Tip: Ask about room floor plan as there are many ranges.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club

Reviewed November 10, 2013

I won a night at the Vinoy in a golf raffle. We reserved a night in the middle of the week. We upgraded for $30 to a room on the 7th floor facing the marina. It was lovely and had a fantastic view. The room was large and had two queen beds, a desk, and seating. We enjoyed walking around the waterfront park and downtown. You have to visit with the Old Timers softball team nearby. To join you have to be 75! In the evening they had bar service outdoors around tables with fire pits or you could sit inside and watch football at the lobby bar. I say "watch" because there is no sound on the televisions. The staff was professional and yet friendly.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a waterfront view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2013

My week at the Renaissance Vinoy was spectacular --however you measure it. The staff were all highly professional and responded to my requests immediately. The card key wouldn't open my hotel room door when I arrived. No problem. I was given a new room in a better location. I needed bottled water when the Gift Shop/Cafe was closed. The front desk gave me a bottle from the staff refrigerator. When the hot water didn't come on, they told me to wait a few more minutes. Voila! hot water at my fingertips. Everyone greeted me with a smile and were more than willing to assist. When I asked for eating places within walking distance,the staff surprised me with two restaurants that catered to my vegetarian tastes. I've stayed at hotels where the guests seemed to get in the way of the staff's day. NOT HERE. This is the smoothest operating hotel I have ever visited! It is also pleasant to walk around the bay, the Dali Museum and Museum of Fine Arts are within walking distance. Don't miss your chance to stay it this fines establishment!

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed at the Vinoy at the end of Oct 2013 on business. Here are the pros and cons:
Pro's:
*The lobby is beautiful, and decorated with Chihuly glass.
*The front porch has comfortable lounge sitting areas and rocking chairs overlooking the harbor.
*The hotel has a historic feel to it.
*Bathroom comes with a magnifier mirror.Thank You!
*The health club offers free work out classes.
*The hotel is located near parks, beaches, museums, good restaurants, and attractions. We walked along Bayshore Drive NE in both directions and discovered a wonderful Saturday am farmers market in the parking lot of the baseball stadium. (They offered a huge variety of food vendors, entertainment, and crafts (Buy a whole sliced pineapple for $3.00))
*I asked for a quiet room, away from the elevators. We were assigned room 401, which was at the end of the hallway. Quiet yes, view no.
*Bathrobes are provided during your stay.
Cons:
*I felt nickle and dimed for service I would expect to come with the room of a hotel of this caliber.
*Pay for wi-fi in your room!! Who wants to go to the lobby to use wi-fi? Not convenient.
*Self park is $14.95/ day. Typical for a large hotel, but I paid more to park than I did for the rental car.
*The room does NOT come with a mini fridge. Cost: $10 for length of stay.
*Our room, 401 (odd side of hall in the main hotel) overlooked the back utility lot and trash bins- not pretty. (The even numbered rooms on this wing overlook the neighborhood) Our colleagues paid $30/night more and had a room overlooking the harbor.
*We left the privacy sign on the door several days, and each day the front desk called to see if we were ok.
*The room was quite bright at night. The door did not meet the floor; we found it necessary to place a towel at the base of the door to block the hall light.
*On a Friday morning we were awakened by an awful, constant, loud maintenance noise outside our window. It was so awful I called the front desk to inquire. It lasted for 2 minutes, stopped and started again for another minute or two.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. It is beautiful and in a lovely location. An expensive hotel of this caliber should consider offering free wi-fi and mini refrigerators in each room. And please, don't check on me everyday if I request privacy, and don't conduct loud maintenance early in the morning.

Room Tip: Room 401 in the main hotel overlooks the garbage cans.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I originally checked in to this hotel for Business but ended up staying extra nights as I enjoyed it so much. I found the location to be perfect allowing me to walk to pretty much anything I was interested in. I was able to visit the Dali Museum(highly recommended), have 2 great dinners and even grow some wild hair and take a helicopter tour.

I am very keen on walking to explore and have no problem walking 10 miles to see what I want to.
This hotel is truly the perfect location for me (or anyone else who likes to explore) in that respect. The public park on the water is very pretty and literally just across the road.

My room was very nice with agreat view of the water. I did however have to ask for this as the first one they showed me was overlooking a parking lot so the motto is "if you don't ask ..."

The hotel is a very imposing building and looks fantastic. I found myself happy to be walking back to it as it just loooks so nice. It also has a gorgeous front veranda which is great spot to drink a cocktail and watch the world go buy and the outside bar is very popular at night.

Finally the staff were very competent and attentive but I would not rate service as the best I have had but zero complaints.

I will return

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building overlooking harbor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 2, 2013

This wonderful hotel is in the heart of downtown. We loved the stay and surroundings. I would recommend this hotel to everyone. We enjoyed the location and it was within walking distance of everywhere- you could go to the museums, water, airport, park, etc.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Jeanette R, Manager at The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

So glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your compliments about our location. It does make it convenient to be centrally located - lots to do and see in the immediate area. After dining with us, there are plenty of choices of dining experiences within walking distances, and of course, all the museums to enjoy that are minutes away including Chihuly; Fine Arts; Dali; Holocaust, etc. We appreciate your response and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I had heard so many good things about this historic hotel, but was disappointed in my stay. My bed sheet was ripped, the minimum charge for WiFi was $10.00 (included for free everywhere else I have stayed), and one morning there was a roach in the bathtub.

Although the hotel is beautiful and historic, i will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Pay the upgrade for a bay view. My room overlooked pipes.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Jeanette R, Manager at The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

As you can imagine, I was so sorry to read your review. With all the glowing remarks that were shared from other guests, I felt so bad to read of your disappointment and to know that you would not return. I understand your concern about the internet charges in the room, but I wanted to point out that the internet is free in the lobby and public areas. I wasn't sure if you were aware of that but perhaps that would have been something you could have taken advantage of. I'm sorry if our staff did not share that with you. If you have a moment, please contact me directly so that we can discuss the chance to regain your confidence. Guest satisfaction is our number one priority, and I would love the opportunity to turn things around for you. I hope to hear from you. 727-824-8028 or jeanette.rivera@renaissancehotels.com.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Petersburg
Hollander Hotel
Hollander Hotel
#3 of 42 in St. Petersburg
Hampton Inn and Suites St. Petersburg Downtown

Been to The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!