“Not a cookie cutter Marriott.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club

The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Kennesaw, Georgia
“Not a cookie cutter Marriott.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

The facilities were fine, but the service was the best I have ever seen. The odd thing about the staffs attitude was that it doesn't appear manufactured Disney style. The staff at the Vinoy seem genuinely motovated to go above and beyond.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jeanette R, Manager at The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Your compliments about the service of our staff were very much appreciated. The satisfaction of our guests is certainly a priority, and I was glad to see that you experienced it first-hand. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Vinoy soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

My wife took me to the Vinoy St. Pete for Father's Day weekend. The style of this place was really neat, it was this combination of old and new with bright Florida colors. It is a block off the Bay and there is a lot to do with in walking distance. Dan the concierge was super helpful in directing us to local places and the front desk and valet staff was friendly. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Our only complaint was the pool was being worked on by maintenance Sat night before it was closed, they said it was still open, but guys with power tools near water didn't keep us around. Everything else though was great and we will definitely be back.

2 Thank Les H
Jeanette R, Manager at The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
It sounds like you had a great Father's Day getaway at the Vinoy. So glad to hear that. Thanks for taking the time to write about your visit and for your kind remarks about our staff and the location of the property. I will be sure to share your compliment with Dan the Concierge/Navigator. He will be pleased to know that his assistance to you was appreciated. I hope you will visit us again in the near future.
Mint Hill, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I spent last weekend (6-14 to 6/16) at this hotel and found it to be very nice with an old world feel. To those complaining about the condition, remember that the majority of this building is very old and they are doing updates. If you want a newer feel, I would recommend requesting a room in the new tower portion of the hotel. The hairdryers are in a bag in the closet along with your bath rob, ironing board, etc. They valets took very good care of my care and the staff were friendly and accomodating. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It was so nice to see your the title you gave your review "Wonderful Experience". It sounds like that summed up a great visit to the Vinoy, and we appreciate your time in writing. I'll be sure to thank the valet for providing a positive welcome when you pulled up and to our staff for making you feel at home. We feel that our guest service is something to be proud of, and it is nice for you to recognize that as well. Please join us again in the near future. We would love to welcome you back!
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

First of all, just driving to get to this hotel was an indication of the great location of this hotel. It is right by the bay & walking distance to downtown St. Pete.

Parking was a bit of a walk from our room but it wasn't a big deal. Check in area was small but luckily there was no one waiting in line (there wasn't a queue line or anything) when we got there at 2pm on a Friday! We got to check in early, which was nice & useful since we were in town for a wedding.

Our upgrades were unavailable which was disappointing but they gave us champagne, a cheese plate & chocolate covered strawberries. Our room was still wonderful. We had a king size bed with a view of the bay. Decent sized common area, oversized bathroom with separate room for toilet & a big closet with a safe. Bed was so comfortable! Hair dryer (Aveda bath products), hangers, bath robes, iron & ironing board were provided. There was a mini fridge but it was already stocked with products (way overpriced! eek).

Housekeeper knocked on our door before 9am on Saturday morning which was unexpected but we didn't have the privacy hanger up. I thought that was a little early but not her fault.

Sunday brunch is a must do. It has everything you could think of. Pricey but definitely worth it. Just $7 for all you can drink mimosas or champagne! If I didn't have to drive 2 hours home I would have definitely participated in that :) We forgot it was Father's Day but luckily made a reservation the day before. They let us come in 45 minutes early since we checked out & were just exploring the resort.

All in all it was a great weekend get away experience. We had a blast & would definitely return if the price was right. Really curious about the king suite or spa room!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
So glad to hear that you were able to join us for Sunday Brunch! What a dining experience! To be able to tempt your palate with a fabulous menu and the finest of service around is incredibly satisfying. Our chefs are on hand to answer any questions you may have and our Pastry Chefs top off your meal with a variety of sweet delights. I'm sorry that our team was not able to upgrade your accommodations, however, I was pleased to hear that they sent an amenity to start off your stay on the right foot. Please allow me the opportunity to upgrade you on your next visit. Feel free to contact me directly at 727-824-8028, and if available, I would be more than happy to do so. We appreciate you and look forward to your return in the near future.
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Our 40th Wedding Anniversary was on June 9 and my husband made reservations at the Vinoy for a corner room suite on the top floor and we both were really looking forward to our stay. When we arrived we were greeted by Jeniffer at the front desks with a "big smile" and congratulations for our Anniversary. She then told us that she was sorry but they were not putting us in the corner room suite (my heart sank), but they were "up grading" us to the PRESENDENTIAL SUITE!!!! OMG, it was incredible. Huge entry foyer, wet bar and dinning room, very large living room, seperate bedroom, 3 bathrooms (one w/walk- in shower, and one w/ bidet and whirlpool tub) and 5 balcony's overlooking the marina and park. Absolutely beautiful. Additionally the staff sent us a wonderful bottle of wine which we enjoyed that evening on the balcony. The hotel is full of history and beautiful "old world elegance" with modern conveniences. Most importantly it is the STAFF that makes this an exceptional hotel. Jeniffer and the General Manager, went above and beyond to make sure we had a perfect stay (room upgrade, wine, etc.). Joanne, Concierge was so knowledgeable and kind, Alexandra, server for breakfast in Marchand's was just wonderful. The Vallet parking and luggage attendants were efficient, helpful and everyone was very courtious! And to top all of this "wonderfulness" you get Marriott points if you are a Marriott Rewards member, WOW. I hope when you visit the Vinoy your stay will be as great as ours. We will definitely be returning again and again (we only live 45 miles from the hotel). Thank you to everyone at the Vinoy for making our stay so great.

Room Tip: Ask for the newer building and a high floor
1 Thank Linda W
Jeanette R, Manager at The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
First and foremost, congratulations on celebrating your 40th wedding anniversary! That is wonderful, and how lucky we are that you chose to celebrate that special occasion with us here at the Vinoy. I can only imagine your expression when they told you that you would be in the Presidential Suite! Thank you for your time in writing such an incredibly positive review. It was so refreshing to read of your experience and your excitement of staying here. What is most appreciated is your mentioning of the specific team members who made your stay so delightful. We make sure to share these compliments with those individuals, and as you can imagine, they love seeing their names in print. Hopefully you will continue to make the Vinoy your choice to celebrate future special occasions like so many others do. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Before staying at the Vinoy, I read several reviews that rated it poor/fair due to service. I decided to stay despite those negative reviews because I was so interested in the Vinoy's history that I was willing to put up with lousy service.

As it turned out, the service, and everything else, was so good that the Vinoy is now my favorite hotel of the many I've stayed in, all over the country and the world. My wife agrees.

I'll start with the service because, ironically, it was the most impressive feature. The very first person I encountered, John Gernenz, the senior front desk clerk, was exceptionally friendly and professional. It was nice that he asked which side of the hotel we wanted, and which floor. But, I really appreciated that he wished me a happy Father's Day and thanked me for my service when he saw my military ID. Then, when I expressed an interest in the Convoy's history, he took the time to show me a book complete with old photographs. By the time John called our room to make sure everything was in order, I was absolutely blown away.

By the way, I was staying with my wife and three small children in a basic room for one night at a discounted rate. I'm not a high-roller who starts passing out twenties as soon as I pull up in a Mercedes. I'm not even a Marriott Rewards member. John had no reason to treat me special. But he did;and, so did everyone else in the Vinoy, from the attendant at the pool to our waiter at the Alfresco restaurant.

The hotel, itself, was also amazing. I came for the history and was not disappointed. There is an entire section, just off the lobby, with displays illustrating the Vinoy's history, almost like a little museum. The rooms manage to retain the historical character of the Vinoy while incorporating modern comforts and amenities. The Mission Inn, in Riverside, California, is the only other hotel I've seen that even comes close to such a perfect balance of historical character and comfort.

The location is beautiful. The pool was fantastic. Dinner was among the best meals I've ever eaten. I just don't think I could have been more satisfied. If you are ever in St. Petersburg, or the Tampa Bay area for that matter, stay at the Vinoy. You won't be disappointed. My wife and I will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are so happy that you gave the Vinoy a try and even happier that it is now your favorite hotel! Thanks for mentioning the service, the pool, the history and our staff in such a positive manner. We appreciate your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort in the near future. If I can help with reservations, please let me know. My direct phone number is 727-824-8028. I would be happy to assist.
Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

From the moment we checked in with the very friendly front dest agent who upgraded us because it was my birthday, to going up to the spacious and clean room with a view straight from heaven, walking to cafes and museums and the harbor, this is one amazing hotel and location! Gorgeous. Oh and did I mention the old world charm and Chihuly art glass?! The pool was large and relaxing with a friendly pool attendant and everything you could possibly want. We had the best time and can't wait to go back. I love this hotel!!

Room Tip: Harbor View! We stayed in the main hotel (not the towers) and it was very nice and large really. Lar...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jeanette R, Manager at The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thanks for joining us from St. Augustine. I appreciate your choosing the Vinoy to visit and thank you for your very kind words about our staff's service and friendliness. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back here again in the near future. Let me know if I can assist with any of the details. I'll be happy to help.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Petersburg
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,307 reviews
Staybridge Suites St. Petersburg Downtown
Hampton Inn and Suites St. Petersburg Downtown
Hilton Saint Petersburg Carillon Park

Been to The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!