“Beautiful Hotel, Happy Employees, Incredible Location & Views!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The VinoyR Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club

The VinoyR Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #5 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Saint Augustine, Florida
“Beautiful Hotel, Happy Employees, Incredible Location & Views!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

From the moment we checked in with the very friendly front dest agent who upgraded us because it was my birthday, to going up to the spacious and clean room with a view straight from heaven, walking to cafes and museums and the harbor, this is one amazing hotel and location! Gorgeous. Oh and did I mention the old world charm and Chihuly art glass?! The pool was large and relaxing with a friendly pool attendant and everything you could possibly want. We had the best time and can't wait to go back. I love this hotel!!

Room Tip: Harbor View! We stayed in the main hotel (not the towers) and it was very nice and large really. Lar...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Jeanette R, Manager at The VinoyR Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thanks for joining us from St. Augustine. I appreciate your choosing the Vinoy to visit and thank you for your very kind words about our staff's service and friendliness. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back here again in the near future. Let me know if I can assist with any of the details. I'll be happy to help.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

This formerly grand structure is still just formerly grand. My room smells of paint but doesn't look freshly painted. The bathroom is very 70's (not sure whether i mean 1970's but i think i do) and then, adding insult to injury, there's no hair dryer so Housekeeping offered to "send one right up" about 15 minutes ago. I hope i'm still here to receive it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank S K
Jeanette R, Manager at The VinoyR Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
I'm hopeful that your stay with us improved from what you posted on your review. I do apologize for your rough start. I know there is so much more to staying here and hopefully you were able to experience at the Vinoy like our rich history; the location and sights; the renovated lobby; the first-class service that we take pride in providing to each and every guest; our incredible food and beverages, etc. I hope that we were able to regain your confidence at some point. Please feel free to contact me to discuss any further details. I would be happy to listen. My direct phone number is 727-824-8028, and I hope we will have an opportunity to talk and perhaps turn things around for you. Thank you.
Honeybunny1950
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I spent a night at this lovely hotel.
We checked into our room and then had cocktails and appetizer at the bar in the lobby.
Shantell(tending the bar) was a wealth of information regarding city of St. Petersburg and the various places to dine in the area.
All service at the hotel was given personnal touch.
The beds in our room were very uncomfortable; the beds sagged.
I had a facial the next day at the spa and although my esthetician was efficient it was very expensive and the product (Phytomer)caused swelling/itching around my eyes. No one asked if I had allergies/sensitivity to products prior facial. The beds in rooms for treatment were not heated and the lotion applied to my arms was cold. It would have been nice to have heat applied to my hands or feet(usually have at other facilities).
Husband played golf and said that it was "top notch".

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your very fair review. Getting a good night's sleep in a comfortable bed is so important, so as you can imagine, I was sorry to read your comment about an uncomfortable bed. We do receive many requests for the name of our vendor of our beds because guests state they were so comfortable and slept so soundly. I hope you will stay with us again to see if it makes a difference to sleep in another room. Hopefully we can leave a better lasting impression. Thanks for taking full advantage of the amenities we have to offer here including Golf (glad your husband enjoyed it) and you had spa services. Your comments were constructively written. I will be sharing them with the spa manager to help us continue to be the best in the industry. We look forward to return stay in the near future. Feel free to contact me directly, and I would be happy to assist.
Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We have stayed at several Marriott properties over the years many in Tampa Bay Area but now that we have been to this one I don't know how we can go anywhere else! We had a garden room since the bay view were sold out and even though they offered to move us the next day we stayed with the garden view due to how quiet and comfortable it was. The bed was like heaven we have checked on buying the same it was so good! We ate the breakfast buffet and it was the best we have had for the price.....service was unbelievable .....also ate each night in lobby outside bar and the lobster grilled cheese wonderful. The staff went out of their way to make sure everything was excellent. The hotel itself is very old and has been renovated, they offer a tour to explain history but was not offered on days we were there so will catch next time. The rooms can be pricey but if you check their website they run many specials and make them as affordable as the lower rated hotels. The location is ideal next to beach drive so you can walk, make sure you visit the museums you will be astonished at the works of art. I understand the downtown retail area has a new owner and the stores are being rebuilt so will be adding retailers . The only Negative is that they are tearing down the old pier and I guess rebuilding. If you want to go to the beach the interstate is a few blocks away and will put you on st pete beach or ft desoto in minutes. Really you won't be disappointed with this choice!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Jeanette R, Manager at The VinoyR Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
I cannot thank you enough for the very positive review of your most recent stay at the beautiful Renaissance Vinoy Resort and Golf Club. Your kind words and compliments were appreciated. I was especially excited to hear that you inquired about our bedding because of the comfort that you mentioned. We receive many requests about this because guests get such a great night sleep. That's wonderful! Sweet dreams... Now that you have experienced the Vinoy, I am hopeful that you will return to visit us again soon. Feel free to contact me directly at 727-824-8028, and I would be more than happy to assist with your upcoming reservations. Again, thank you for your time in writing.
Fl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Downtown St. Pete has changed a lot in the last few years. You'll find numerous restaurants, cafes, gelato shops, and boutiques so that after arriving at the Vinoy, a car is unnecessary. But the hotel, despite boasting a renovation costing $93 mil., needs better up-keep and better training of staff. If you are considering visting St. Pete, I recommend the Lowes Don Cesar Resort about 15 minutes west and on the beach, also for under $320. If you have to be at the Vinoy for a wedding, you still might want to consider staying at the Don Cesar!

I have stayed in numerous chain luxury hotels and boutique hotels and the reason they are luxury are not just because the linens and interiors look and feel upscale, but because of their excellent customer service AND you will not see leaks, poor paint jobs, rust, etc.

PRO: Nice linens & towels, main hotel lobby decor, room size (at the guest tower built in 1992), view of the pier, proximity to restaurants, museums, shops, and walkability.

CONS: Service from servers, bellmen, valet (they didn't even try to open the door for me when we arrived nor on our way out!), quality of food, lack of up-keep of common spaces, pool is small for the size of the hotel--I'll explain more about the pool.
Generally, at luxury hotels, pool staff will carry your towels and set up your poolside chairs & umbrella and many offer complimentary sunblock so you do not have to worry about forgetting about sunblock or buying it at their sundries shop. Here, we were asked to see our hotel key, given wristbands & towels, and DONE.
If your room is in the Tower, you have to walk outside under awnings, constantly wet outdoor carpet & floors (we the entire time we were there), where you could enjoy the view of rust, layers of poorly applied paint, and a hideous and deafening "waterfall" only to walk into the entrance to the parking garage, THEN take an elevator from the parking garage entrance to your floor. Whew! It might not sound too bad, but a luxury hotel should have a proper walkway to perhaps the "lobby" of the other property at the hotel without being exposed to the outside elements.
Housekeeping forgot to leave towels after cleaning and did not vacuum or clean the chairs in the room prior to our arrival. I found visible food crumbs on the chairs and ottoman.
Our room was unusually humid for being 68 degrees. We alerted the hotel but nothing was done. We had difficulty sleeping because it was just so hot and humid! It was more humid than being outdoors!
The bathroom sink drain was broken and unable to drain. I didn't even bother alerting them about this.
No one stayed around to open the doors when entering the hotel or offer umbrellas when exiting (it had been raining on and off the entire extended weekend).

I would not stay at the Vinoy again. I have lived in Tampa and the Vinoy was always considered a luxury hotel so I was looking forward to our extended weekend stay but was sorely disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the bay.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Travels_by_Anna
It's so important for us to receive both the positive feedback as well as the constructive criticism because it helps us learn and not only be better but strive for the best. Thank you for taking time out of your valuable schedule to write about your stay here. We find that many guests are from right around the corner and use the Vinoy as a mini getaway. While I was pleased to find that you loved our linens, towels, lobby decor, room size, view and proximity to restaurants, etc., I was of course disappointed to read some of the items that you were not happy with. I would love the opportunity to discuss your visit in more detail if you would contact me directly. It would be a pleasure to hear more and try to regain your confidence and encourage you to return for a more positive experience down the road. My phone number is 727-824-8028. I sincerely hope to hear back from you. Thank you again for your candid feedback.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

As can often be the case with 5 star hotels the service is inconsistent to the rating and therefore let's the hotel down. I can get nice rooms and a pool in a number of hotels in the St Petes/Clearwater but here thought I'd get top class service. Couldn't have been more wrong.

Restaurant staff at breakfast were too busy talking to each other than to serve the guests. When they did, they had perfected an air of disdained indifference. Very unwelcoming. No more extra breakfasts for me.

Rooms weren't serviced by 4pm each day - desperate when kids need to sleep. I eventually called each day to let them know when to do the room - when did the guest have to put in all the effort?

Reception staff were friendly enough but told me different information about the room servicing to housekeeping. There was no unified approach to how the place was run.

The saving grace was the ladies in the small coffee shop off reception. Sorted us out with a light breakfast and coffee everyday with a smile. They deserve to be recognised around otherwise soulless service.

I'm a loyal Marriott traveller and this has to be one of my most disappointing stays.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jane A
I was so happy to read of your compliments about the beauty of our resort, but as you can imagine, I wish we would have had the opportunity to discuss the shortcomings that you mentioned while you were here. It is always disheartening to learn that a guest was not happy with their stay after the fact. I would love to have the change to communicate with you and perhaps come to a resolution that regains your confidence in us. My email is jeanette.rivera@renaissancehotels.com. I would encourage you to email me. I appreciate your positive feedback and the constructive criticism too. We are always striving to be the best, and this helps us do just that. I look forward to hearing from you.
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Recently I had the chance to spend two nights at the Vinoy in St. Pete and had a great time. The hotel is beautiful, a true "classic," with an attentive, helpful, and caring staff. We had a nice room in the "old" part of the hotel. A quick overview:

Pros:

* Classic, "Gatsby-era" hotel with modern upgrades
* Gorgeous lobby with multiple seating areas and a big bar
* Huge, luxurious pool with the hardest-working pool service staff I have ever seen
* Beautiful, meticulously maintained grounds
* Our room was enormous, clean and well-maintained
* The bathroom was huge, too
* Outstanding waterfront location just steps from an amazing variety of restaurants, shops, and even a small beach
* Except for the valet parking/doorman staff, the service is extremely friendly, personal, and eager to please

Cons:

* As others have noted, the air conditioning is loud and seems to struggle to keep pace with the sticky Florida heat
* Elevators are tiny, cramped, and a bit slow
* The parking staff we encountered had a bit of an attitude, both upon arrival and when I asked to temporarily park my car up so that I could pick up my elderly parents who were waiting in the lobby
* The self-parking is extremely inconvenient--remote from the main building, with tiny parking slots and a confusing arrangement

Overall, a very nice stay. I would definitely book the Vinoy again on future trips to St. Pete.

Room Tip: Our room in the "original" part of the hotel looked out over the motor court and an adjace...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
#7 of 32 in St. Pete Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 2,934 reviews
Staybridge Suites St. Petersburg Downtown
Hilton Saint Petersburg Carillon Park

Been to The VinoyR Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!