“Beautiful historic hotel!”

The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel is in a perfect location. Beautiful waterfront with picturesque boats and gorgous blue water. Easy walk to many restaurants. Area has walkers, joggers, and very easy going. Suite was large, two bathrooms and very clean. We had 7 girls staying and plenty of room to spread out. The Vinoy renaissance was been restored beautifully. Can just imaging all the dances held in the ballroom years back. Will return definitely!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,835)

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have stayed at the Vinoy several times over the past couple of years. Great spa and fitness center. It is located downtown and within walking distance of everything accept the beach. However we are overlooking Tampa Bay and access to the marinas. We actually came by boat on our first stay. Good restaurant in the hotel but you can walk to a ton of other really good restaurants as well.

Room Tip: Have a lot of different rooms to choose from. They are all good. Unless it is a special occasion jus...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This week my business travels take me to St Petersburg, Florida. I am in town for a couple of days of meetings, hosted at the Vinoy Renaissance Hotel. This is a very nice historic hotel located on St Pete's Waterfront Walk. The rooms are very nice, the hotel and ammedities are likewise good, and the staff is warm and friendly.

We had over 100 people in our meeting and used the hotel's conference facilities. The hotel took care of our meeting rooms, meals, sound systems and even made sure that we had WIFI and power for all of our laptops. This very well run and I recommend the Vinoy as a meeting / conference destination.

The Vinoy is a historic resort on the St Petersburg waterfront facing Tampa Bay. This is really a resort / vacation destination, not a spot a business traveler would normally stay. The hotel has a fantastic spa / health club. It was very well utilized. I am guessing that some people just come to the Vinoy for the Spa, Tennis, Golf and water sports; that's what the non-business travelers were doing! I know this because we conference attendees walked in front of the spa multiple times per day going back and forth to our meetings while the vacationers enjoyed their spa / fitness center activities.

The hotel dates back to 1925. This Mediterranean Revival style hotel was the vacation destination for famous people like Babe Ruth, Hervert Hoover, Calvin Coolidge and James Stewart. It was the home of a US Army training school during WWII and continued to be a hotel until the mid 70s. It reopened, fully remodeled, in the 1990s. It still has most of its original charm, with rooms updated like you'd expect for a luxury Renaissance Resort.

The hotel has on display several pieces of glass art work by the famous artist Dale Chihuly including a breath-taking white chandelier in the grand ballroom. There's a collection of Chihuly art at a gallery across the street. Love of the arts is found all along the St Pete's Waterfront Walk area.

In the evening, I went for a walk along the waterfront. A key place to visit is The St Petersburg Pier. The Pier goes 1500ft into the Bay and from the restaurant on top of the 5 story pier building, you get a really nice view of the St Pete skyline.

The Vinoy is a destination resort -- a fine place that I would recommend for vacationing. I wouldn't normally recommend such a posh place for business travelers, but the Vinoy is setup and managed to run conferences and business meetings. The rooms were competitively priced and and if ever in the St Petersburg area again, I would come back. Thanks!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 21, 2013

The Vinoy in downtown St. Petersburg is located on the waters of Tampa Bay and puts you close to most of the attractions of downtown. The hotel has several bars and fine restaurants as well as an Al Fresco casual restaraunt. The rooms are very nice and the service is impeccable. This was not my first stay here and it definitely won't be my last!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here one night for a mommy and me getaway. My rating is based on limited use of the amenities on this trip but what we did use was great. Staff was excellent and especially, oddly enough, the valets. I lost my ticket and they went to retrieve the other portion from my car so I could take a picture of it for when I needed to call for it again. The homemade chicken noodle soup from room service is excellent and food arrived quickly and hot. We had a tower room, facing the marina, which was lovely, except that a reception going on below us on the outdoor patio was loud and lasted til a bit late. The room decor is nice, nothing very special, but the room was spacious and clean. My daughter and I both thought the lobby renovation was beautiful. Lots of great seating nooks and nice lobby cocktail service. I think that some design purists may disagree with the renovation, because it is a bit mod/mid-century. All the more reason to visit and form your own opinion. The location can't be beat. We walked down to the Dali and to some great little shops and restaurants. Of course, as others have said, it really is ridiculous to charge for internet any more. It doesn't cost the hotels any more to provide it for the rooms. And for that, have to take away one star.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 12, 2013

My husband, 2 teenage daughters, and I spent three nights at the Vinoy at the end of December 2012. The hotel exceeded our expectations: it is beautiful, but not stuffy; elegant, but friendly. Our room was, I'm sure, one of the more basic available, yet it was roomy, very comfortable, and lovely. It was in the newer wing of the hotel, which means it has a small balcony (in our case, over-looking the tennis courts, which was fine). If you can, get a room overlooking the marina.The location is fantastic--overlooking the marina and just a block away from the main shopping/dining area. Easy to walk to great restaurants and shops, as well as the very impressive Dali museum and several other museums/sights. Still, one of the best things about the hotel is the roomy and welcoming verandah, as well as the outdoor bar/cafe. I easily could have spent hours sitting in one of the rocking chairs or comfy couches just watching the world go by! (My kids loved the swimming pool, too!) We were most impressed with the staff: the concierge was wonderful, getting us dinner reservations for New Year's Eve on Dec. 30th; and the women working in the coffee shop were warm and friendly; across the board, the staff were friendly and very helpful. Our only complaint is really geared toward the Marriott Corporation--$14.95 a day for in-room internet service? Come on, that's just tacky.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the marina.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank travelfam89
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Just stayed at the Vinoy during a conference. Location is great, lobby and architecture are terrific. Rooms are okay but nothing special. Elevators are small and slow. Wi-fi is quirky ( only works in certain locations) and they charge $14.95/ day. Rather weak beer selection at the bars. Their banquet service was a joke. Food was very good, tables were not cleared, almost impossible to get a coffee served during breakfast, they even ran out of prime rib at our dinner before the last 2 tables were served.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for room on city side to view bay.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Hampton Inn and Suites St. Petersburg Downtown
Avalon Hotel
Avalon Hotel
#1 of 43 in St. Petersburg

Been to The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!