“Charm elegance And comfort”

The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
West Orange, New Jersey, United States
“Charm elegance And comfort”
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Came here for a conference and delighted with all aspects of service. The hidden gem for exercise enthusiasts may be the health club with classes at no extra cost
Right near the water with a lovely park and music and movies on the green and no shortage of comfortable areas to sit and relax

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Turkish first
Scarsdale, New York
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Was at hotel for business meeting for one night. Had stayed at this property 20 years ago and was pleased to see the renovations were thoughtfully done, maintaining the historic charm of the property. At check-in, they did not have a room to match my request. They suggested paying for an upgrade which I could not as my company was paying for this. After the desk staff thought about it, she cheerfully suggested a complimentary upgrade. I was on the 5th floor overlooking the Bay, marina and the pool area. So disappointed that I had to leave the room for my meeting in the morning! The room was very plush. Top-notch high-thread count linens on the bed, lovely furnishings and extraordinarily clean. The bathroom had 2 sinks, tub with shower and separate water closet. Extra-plush stark white towels were appreciated, as was the magnifying mirror.
Our meeting room was comfortable and the food was typical Marriott in quality and quantity. I look forward to a return visit, again!

Room Tip: It would be worth it to upgrade to a bay-view!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Austin, TX
Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights and enjoyed the hotel amenities such as the pool,fitness center, spa, yoga and the three hotel bars. The food at the hotel restaurants is also very good. The hotel is located so close to vibrant downtown scene and nice parks and a wonderful marina.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Austin_TXJamesM
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Our school's swim team had an all-day meet on the same day as the homecoming dance, and the girls could not imagine getting ready in the locker rooms at the pool. Enter the Vinoy, and the gracious help of Lisa. We booked a room for 2 nights and Lisa added a parlor suite to the reservation so we would have room for the team to rest between prelims and finals, and for the dance prep as soon as the kids were ready. Knowing we didn't intend to stay overnight on the second day, she worked to give us a break on the price, which was greatly appreciated.
The bedroom, with 2 comfy queens, was spacious, and the additional space, murphy bed and most importantly, a second full bathroom, of the suite was perfect.
Room service breakfast was delicious and right on time.
Every staff member encountered was cheerful and helpful, even the valet guys when we spent Saturday shuttling back-and-forth between the hotel and pool ("in for the night?" "nope, not yet").
Our rooms were in the main building, which was a first for me, and the elevators are tiny, and a bit slow. We had a great view out the front, which included a gazebo where weddings were taking place.
The front desk was a little surprised when we went to check out at 9pm, but that was our plan, not a result of a problem.
Will definitely stay here again for similar events, and highly recommend the hotel. We didn't have time to eat in the restaurants or use any facilities on this trip, although in the past we have had a room with the small individual hot tub on the patio, and that is fun. There are many restaurant choices within walking distance, and if you like the Chihuly in the lobby, you can easily walk over the Chihuly museum from the Vinoy (and you should).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Spent 3 days here for work in September 2012. Great hotel, great location, great service, great view, etc. I could go on. I really enjoyed sitting on the veranda in the evenings. I wish I was here with my wife and not my colleagues!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Carlisle, Iowa
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Let me start by saying that I was treated very poorly during our stay -- we had planned on a 6 day stay and within hours cut it to 2 days and moved hotels. Here's my saga:

Checked in, wasn't provided with any information regarding their hotel, resturant, facilities, spa, etc. I asked a couple of questions and was provided that direct information only.

Reached our room - wow, could we have been stuck in a smaller room with a worse view (NO, NOT POSSIBLE!). I was really extremely disappointed - especially since I had requested a free room upgrade (which I'm to receive if/when available given my platinum status) and supposedly actually received an upgrade!

I immediately went to the front desk to discuss the situation and request a different room. We were moved to another room - with slight improvements (and we waited FOREVER for our luggage to arrive). Still not a view of anything more than their front entrance/overhang and windows so dirty you couldn't see out of them. Bedding was of course wonderful (that's one of the reasons I stay Marriott on my weekly business trips), but the room was the smallest I've ever been in with a Marriott.

By this time I was very tired of feeling like they were looking down their noses at me with a 'how dare you stay at our hotel on points'. This was not only due to the rooms we were given... but to the way the staff treated me.

We researched other locations and checked out early. (Moved to the Residence Inn Marriott Treasure Island/St Petersburg Beach --see my review -- LOVED the next hotel and was not treated like scum)

Very dissappointed - while the bay location was beautiful and it was a nice area to walk around, the staff at the Vinoy treated us very poorly and acted like we were a disgrace to their hotel. I travel every week on business and have stayed in nicer (many, many JW location, autographs, etc) - and did not appreciate the way they treated me. I will not be back, and have made sure to tell all co-workers in the Tampa area my saga.

Room Tip: Considering I received (supposedly) an upgraded room each time, I can't give a recommendation to...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maria P
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The Vinoy is an unexpected gem, a throwback to a time when elegance was not the exception but the minimum standard. Every staff member was friendly, professional and efficient. The guys at the bar at the lovely Marchand's Bar & Grill reminded me of old school bar tenders in New York City or Washington, DC. They were so authentic they even knew many of the bar patrons by their first names. It was like being an extra in "Friends". But when the food arrived, it was no longer a bar it was a culinary oasis. The cornmeal dusted trout with grape tomato salad and tempura battered avocado was light and flavorful and creative. Later, as rain pounded outside, we sat at the veranda bar out front facing the harbor. I was waiting for Humphrey Bogart to stroll in.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hollander Hotel
#3 of 42 in St. Petersburg
Hampton Inn and Suites St. Petersburg Downtown
Staybridge Suites St. Petersburg Downtown

Been to The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!