“Great customer service for an unusual stay”

The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #6 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Tampa, Florida
“Great customer service for an unusual stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Our school's swim team had an all-day meet on the same day as the homecoming dance, and the girls could not imagine getting ready in the locker rooms at the pool. Enter the Vinoy, and the gracious help of Lisa. We booked a room for 2 nights and Lisa added a parlor suite to the reservation so we would have room for the team to rest between prelims and finals, and for the dance prep as soon as the kids were ready. Knowing we didn't intend to stay overnight on the second day, she worked to give us a break on the price, which was greatly appreciated.
The bedroom, with 2 comfy queens, was spacious, and the additional space, murphy bed and most importantly, a second full bathroom, of the suite was perfect.
Room service breakfast was delicious and right on time.
Every staff member encountered was cheerful and helpful, even the valet guys when we spent Saturday shuttling back-and-forth between the hotel and pool ("in for the night?" "nope, not yet").
Our rooms were in the main building, which was a first for me, and the elevators are tiny, and a bit slow. We had a great view out the front, which included a gazebo where weddings were taking place.
The front desk was a little surprised when we went to check out at 9pm, but that was our plan, not a result of a problem.
Will definitely stay here again for similar events, and highly recommend the hotel. We didn't have time to eat in the restaurants or use any facilities on this trip, although in the past we have had a room with the small individual hot tub on the patio, and that is fun. There are many restaurant choices within walking distance, and if you like the Chihuly in the lobby, you can easily walk over the Chihuly museum from the Vinoy (and you should).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

Spent 3 days here for work in September 2012. Great hotel, great location, great service, great view, etc. I could go on. I really enjoyed sitting on the veranda in the evenings. I wish I was here with my wife and not my colleagues!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Carlisle, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

Let me start by saying that I was treated very poorly during our stay -- we had planned on a 6 day stay and within hours cut it to 2 days and moved hotels. Here's my saga:

Checked in, wasn't provided with any information regarding their hotel, resturant, facilities, spa, etc. I asked a couple of questions and was provided that direct information only.

Reached our room - wow, could we have been stuck in a smaller room with a worse view (NO, NOT POSSIBLE!). I was really extremely disappointed - especially since I had requested a free room upgrade (which I'm to receive if/when available given my platinum status) and supposedly actually received an upgrade!

I immediately went to the front desk to discuss the situation and request a different room. We were moved to another room - with slight improvements (and we waited FOREVER for our luggage to arrive). Still not a view of anything more than their front entrance/overhang and windows so dirty you couldn't see out of them. Bedding was of course wonderful (that's one of the reasons I stay Marriott on my weekly business trips), but the room was the smallest I've ever been in with a Marriott.

By this time I was very tired of feeling like they were looking down their noses at me with a 'how dare you stay at our hotel on points'. This was not only due to the rooms we were given... but to the way the staff treated me.

We researched other locations and checked out early. (Moved to the Residence Inn Marriott Treasure Island/St Petersburg Beach --see my review -- LOVED the next hotel and was not treated like scum)

Very dissappointed - while the bay location was beautiful and it was a nice area to walk around, the staff at the Vinoy treated us very poorly and acted like we were a disgrace to their hotel. I travel every week on business and have stayed in nicer (many, many JW location, autographs, etc) - and did not appreciate the way they treated me. I will not be back, and have made sure to tell all co-workers in the Tampa area my saga.

Room Tip: Considering I received (supposedly) an upgraded room each time, I can't give a recommendation to...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maria P
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

The Vinoy is an unexpected gem, a throwback to a time when elegance was not the exception but the minimum standard. Every staff member was friendly, professional and efficient. The guys at the bar at the lovely Marchand's Bar & Grill reminded me of old school bar tenders in New York City or Washington, DC. They were so authentic they even knew many of the bar patrons by their first names. It was like being an extra in "Friends". But when the food arrived, it was no longer a bar it was a culinary oasis. The cornmeal dusted trout with grape tomato salad and tempura battered avocado was light and flavorful and creative. Later, as rain pounded outside, we sat at the veranda bar out front facing the harbor. I was waiting for Humphrey Bogart to stroll in.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Palm Coast, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Great location ,great view of the bay & love the big front porch for afternoon cocktails. I come about 6 times a year for ball games and relaxing . This hotel has a big pool and plenty of room to lay out . It's cool staying in a hotel with so much history in a beautiful setting with plenty of restaurants,pubs,shops within easy walking distance from the Vinoy. The rooms are elegant & clean always feel at home when I'm here need I say anything else !

Room Tip: There all good but the view in the towers over looking the bay are the best
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We visit almost every year; this year we were in the historic building and had a nice, large, clean, only slightly worn room. We had reserved a bay view, but that was not available for a reason I still don't understand since we had a reservation for this type of room for both nights. We were put in a non-bay view and given that rate; we said fine as long as it wasn't the annex building. So, as seems to be the norm lately, the Marriott front desk people don't seem to be trained or empowered to wow guests when things are a bit off. Even if you're Gold. The lobby is newly renovated and is light and airy now with slightly more seating. The new coffee shop had some delicious pastries we had each morning. We ate lunch at the restaurant by the pool one day and the chicken fingers were not fully-cooked. The chef was very apologetic, and replaced the entree, but I'm sorry to say still left us a little disappointed. Also had drinks on the front porch the first night and took 45 minutes from the time we requested our check to getting it. Again, apologies as she ran by, but really think at this level of hotel, you just need to get it right, and not have to apologize so much. I will certainly stay here again and recommend it, but know there may be some bumps in the road on the service level.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Bath, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were there last February, 2012 and the place seemed busy, but staff always pleasant, and the place is CLEAN!!!! Nicely decorated in art-decco design. We loved the pool, and service they offered there. Drinks and nachos were wonderful! We signed up for the historical tour they provide there and it was time well-spent, very interesting history of that hotel! Following the tour, it had a "historical" menu at their beautiful restaurant, very reasonably priced for how delicious it was! Hope they continue to do well. Great location in St. Petersburg. Hope to return there again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,290 reviews
Hilton Saint Petersburg Carillon Park
Hampton Inn and Suites St. Petersburg Downtown
Staybridge Suites St. Petersburg Downtown

Been to The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!