“Just shy of perfect”

Ranked #6 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
orlando
“Just shy of perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

We had a 2 bedroom suite with a living room, for a girl's birthday week end and it was lovely. The only reason I did not give this hotel a 5, is because there are some slight issues with maintaining their assets. For example, two of our dining room chairs had ripped fabric and it looked tacky. Some of the outdoor furniture needs some painting or replacing, etc. But, overall this is a lovely resort. The service here is above and beyond perfect. Congratulations to the training department as they truly score a perfect 10 on service. The wait staff in the restaurant brought out champagne for our birthday girl and even the bell captain asked how her birthday dinner was. Seriously, I don't think their service can be beat!
The lobby has been renovated with a modern flair and colors you want to dive into. Yet, the 'bones' of the hotel remain the same, which adds a depth that only time can provide. The rooms were inviting and gave off a relaxing vibe. The sheets were silky and the pillows downy soft. I would suggest that they invest in fluffier, thicker towels; but that is about all.
If you are looking for an awesome get-away in marvelous downtown St. Petersburg, run do not walk to your computer and book a long week end at the Vinoy!.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Turkish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

Went with my friend’s family to St. Petersberg. Thanks Lisa! The trip was great. The hotel was awesome. The pool was huge. We had a blast swimming in it and the ocean wasn’t too far away. The front desk people were nice and the lobby was really nice. The rooms were not huge or anything like that but they were very nice. I think the pool was the best part. And of course going to the beach was awesome! I’d go again so save room in ur luggage to fit me lol!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Oviedo, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

It seems like every big city in Florida has a grand old pink hotel, and the Vinoy is St. Pete's version. The Renaissence chain has done a great job with this place by sprucing up the lobby with Dale Chihuly art work and keeping everything in top running order. The original building has a heavy, overbuilt feel that you don't get nowadays and there are lots of quirky nooks and crannys to explore. The service from every staff member we met was impeccable for the whole week. You can spend your whole trip just hanging out at the hotel and the grounds, but most folks go exploring in the prefectly safe neighborhood. There is a beautiful park and marina just across the street and great restaurants and shops with easy walking distance. Yes, I know, we're coming out of a whopper of a recession these days, but sometimes you've got to lay out a few extra bucks and treat yourself to an experience like the one percenters live everyday. The dear old Vinoy will do that very nicely!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

We chose the Vinoy based on a Marriott "special offer", and I am so glad I was paying attention to the promotions! There are very few hotels in the same class as the Vinoy. I was planning a graduation trip for my daughter - we were traveling with some of her friends. We had not originally planned to go to St. Petersburg, but the Vinoy lured us there and we were so surprised at all the wonderful activities that were nearby.

But first the hotel - we were greeted by Jennifer who expressed some concern about our original room - something about the AC which is important in Florida. As compensation for moving us (although we had not yet checked in), she gave us the most beautiful suite with 2 queen beds and a Murphy bed and a sofa- there was so much room! The girls were thrilled from the moment we got to the room because there was a huge double door entrance, then a lovely view of the gardens (Room 310/312), two bathrooms (very important with women), a dining table with chairs, a little kitchenette, two TVs, etc. I am going to write to the Vinoy, because Jennifer needs a raise!

Through the promotion, they also gave us $25 to spend as we liked and two free breakfasts each morning. Heather at Marchands restaurant helped us order and share the breakfasts with the girls and gave us "to go" coffee cups as we left. They offered delicious (although somewhat expensive) breakfasts and meals, but we shared them, and they were nice about the sharing - they didn't make us feel bad for trying to keep on budget.

We also ate poolside one afternoon and it was nice to be able to relax - enjoy the beautiful pool with it's waterfall.... it was fun yet relaxing. They also have a HUGE veranda/porch with rocking chairs, sofas and tables for early morning coffee.

Next, we met Joanne at the Navigator (concierge) desk. She was SO helpful. She helped us plan a sailing charter just across the street from the hotel, and gave us coupons for the Florida aquarium, and the Dali museum. I was surprised at how much there is to do in St. Petersburg.

We visited a Chihuly museum (beautiful glass sculptures - chandeliers - platters) within walking distance. If you have ever seen the ceiling of the Bellagio in Las Vegas, you will remember the Chihuly glass. We did a sunset sail with Captain Jack - $60 per person for almost 3 hours and a totally relaxing experience. There is also a wonderful full service spa at the hotel - prices are reasonable.

There are very nice restaurants and ice cream parlors/candy shops nearby. It is just a lovely setting with the harbor and all the sailboats and the charming shops. We did not want to leave. During the rest of our trip (we also did Orlando), we kept comparing everything to the Vinoy.... "nice, but not the Vinoy". I will definitely recommend the Vinoy to others, and hope to return there soon myself!

Room Tip: Mention you are traveling for a special occasion - they gave us cupcakes to celebrate graduation! A...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
west palm beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

I have stayed at the Vinoy for Red Sox games for about 5 years now 1-2 times per year. If you have read my previous reviews on this hotel, you would see that I am very objective. I must say, however, the upgrades done last fall were a shock! At first, I was shocked that they would lose the "historic" vibe with such a modern and hip lobby area, but then I became shocked at just how gorgeous and amazing and how much of an upgrade it really was.

The bar is so much more comfortable and inviting and the drinks are amazingly done and creative. The food is even better and the services is the same great service you'd expect from this hotel. Very much like a neighborhood bar, this hotel makes you feel like you are stepping in where everybody knows your name. Great staff retention because I recognize some of the same people from years ago now. Too bad the Sox aren't staying here anymore, but overall, this hotel is great.

Scratch any plans you have, just hang out in the lobby and be friendly and you will have 6-8 new friends by the end of the night. We will undoubtedly go back every time we go to St. Pete and cannot recommend this hotel enough for those looking for a relaxing hotel and vacation where they do not plan on doing much more than having a few drinks, good food, and sitting on a porch relaxing at some point.

I recommend getting a room in the main building, it allows you to go up and down to the lobby that much easier. We have never gone to the beaches from there as we are always in town for the Sox, and have never gone out to any restaurants because there is no need. Families with little ones seem to have a good time, and a place where 20 and 30 somethings can hob knob at the bar with 60 and 70 somethings and have a great time.

Loved it before, but with these upgrades, went from 9 to 10. Keep it up Vinoy!

Room Tip: there are parlor rooms available sometimes, that are like extended suites typically for bridal parti...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bman577
BRISTOL , ENGLAND
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

A really great Hotel exuding charm, character and elegance, plenty of history attached to the building that has been tastefully restored to its former glory.
We have stayed in St. Petersburg on a number of occasions and since choosing the Vinoy some years ago, we now wouldn't consider staying anywhere else when on vacation in this part of Florida.
The check in is relatively small and, although I have not experienced any real delays, I can see the potential is there for multiple arrivals. Pleasant, helpful front desk staff, I arrived a bit early but it was no problem, the room was not quite ready so they phoned housekeeping, took my cell phone number and the room was ready within the hour.
On our first visit I booked through Virgin Holidays and there was no option to upgrade the room, I am sure all the rooms are fine but this was part of a special occasion trip and I was hoping to make the whole vacation one to remember. I checked out the Renaissance website and a bay facing balcony room in the new Spa Tower was around $50.00 more per night than a standard room. I emailed the Hotel asking if it was possible to pay the additional charge to secure on of these rooms, this proved to be no problem at all, they really could not have been more helpful. I would suggest that if you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact the Hotel as their customer service, (in my experience), is outstanding. The room turned out to be superb, we even our own private hot tub on the terrace. This may have spoiled us a bit but and subsequent visits have always been in this part of the Hotel, (although on an upper floor without the hot tub but with a great view), in my opinion the bay facing Tower rooms are really worth the extra cost, you are also perfectly situated for the parking garage, the tower lifts take you straight to the parking levels.
The Hotel has several options for food and drink, there is a nice bar in the lobby where you can enjoy a drink either inside or out on the terrace / verandah, there is also a good coffee shop, (also in the lobby). Alfresco's is a nice casual bar/restaurant that has a good happy hour each day, (half price appetisers and money off drinks), you can dine inside or out.
Marchants bar and grill provides an excellent breakfast choice, especially the Saturday buffet, (which is one of the best I have experienced), and the Sunday Brunch, which is exceptional. I did not eat dinner in Marchants but the menu looked good and was reasonably priced.
Fred's is the Hotels fine dining steakhouse and it is Very good, should you consider eating here I would recommend you book well in advance, it is very popular. I was lucky enough to get a table and the food and service was really good, although rather expensive wine for my humble taste.
The pool area is nice with adequate space for sun bathing, I did not use the spa or fitness room but they are obviously available. Valet parking is available but self parking is only $12.00 per night and is very convenient.
The Hotels location is excellent, in a relatively quiet spot overlooking the bay / pier / parkland. The trolley bus stops right outside the Hotel, this takes you on a narrated tour of down town
St. Petersburg, stopping at all points of interest, including the pier, which is the last stop before returning to the Hotel.
There are many bars and restaurants within easy walking distance of the Hotel, most cuisines are covered so you shouldn't have an issue finding what you fancy. If you exit the Hotel, turn right and walk about seventy yards you come to "400 Beach seafood and tap house", highly recommended with great food and drink selection. "Parkshore grill" is a little further towards town and is also very highly recommended, (it pays to make a reservation for this one). Strolling the extended block from 2nd Avenue N down to Central Avenue and from Beach drive to maybe 4th Street N will give you many options for drinking, dining and shopping.
Should you feel the need for guidance the concierge desk has knowledgeable staff who are more than happy to help, be advised that the Vinoy concierge has been re-named "Navigator" (?).
I would highly recommend this Hotel to anyone looking to stay in the St. Petersburg area and will be returning myself when next in Florida.

Room Tip: The spa tower bay facing rooms are worth the premium, if you book a standard room through a third pa...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JeremyKingsbury
Princeton, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for three nights to attend a friends wedding. It now ranks among our top hotel experiences. The entrance and lobby are really splendid. The pools, spa, and grand front porch with seating overlooking the harbor made for great leisure time. We would love to go back.

Room Tip: Our room was on the third floor overlooking the harbor. What a view off the balcony!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,291 reviews
Hilton Saint Petersburg Carillon Park
Hampton Inn and Suites St. Petersburg Downtown
Staybridge Suites St. Petersburg Downtown

Been to The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!