“Classic elegance, good service, but would not return”

The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed May 18, 2011

i spent two nights at the Vinoy for a business meeting. It normally would not have been my choice for a hotel as I tend to prefer the more modern hotels, but as it was the location of the meeting and paid for I had no choice.
The hotel is definitely a classic and Marriott did an excellent job restoring it to what must be its original grandeur. I found the service to be fine, nothing to write home about but I've had better and I've had worse at other Renaissance properties.
I did have drinks in the lounge one night and breakfast in the restaurant the next morning. The drinks were priced as one would expect, but the service very friendly. Breakfast was fine, again, had better and had worse.
My biggest problem is that upon check-in I heard guests in front of me speaking to the desk clerk about a change in room because of what they thought was paranormal activity in theirs. Now ghosts are not something I ever think about staying at a hotel, but when I got into my room I googled it just for fun and sure enough the Vinoy has a long history of paranormal presences - it was featured in a more recent episode of Ghost Hunters. So overall this knowledge combined with some oddities (probably just my imagination working too hard) made for a couple nights that I did not sleep well and a desire to get home as soon as possible. So if you're into that kind of thing, request the 5th floor!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank FightOn

Reviewed May 16, 2011

Vinoy St Petersburg is a very disappointing experience. The most, this is a three star hotel. Many guests who reviewed this hotel wrote that this is ‘a wonderful resort”. It is NOT a resort of any kind. It has no grounds except for the tiny park on the side of the hotel. Golf course is mile and half away and is not the part of the hotel. Closest beach is ten miles away. Rooms in the old building are spacious and although renovated recently, they resemble Marriott Courtyard cheap style rooms. Nothing luxurious about them. Towels in the bathroom are very poor quality and worn out, only one towel per guest and one small, tiny soap for two people. Only one coffee pack in the bar. Beds are very, very soft. Bar/fridge area was dirty and dust has not been cleaned for some time. The cheapest rooms (at the time of my visit $289.00/per night) are overlooking parking for shuttle buses and a huge air-conditioning system on the roof of the other part of the hotel that is extremely loud. You will be offered an upgrade for a hefty price. Swimming pool is very small for this hotel size; there is a huge amount of chairs densely packed next to each other that other people are touching you with elbows. Restaurant Alfresco is nothing better than a cheap joint, although prices are not cheap at all. The hotel is claiming that the Marchand’s Bar is an award winning restaurant. Maybe so, but you pay $35.00 for an entrée that you eat on a bare table surface without even any placemats. The third restaurant is open only during the weekend. Elevators are very small and old and inside terribly renovated, in a decor that does not match historic theme of the hotel. Reception is very slow and usually only one receptionist on duty. Hotel has outside corridors that are dirty, with cheap décor and worn carpets. Parking is very expensive ($18.00 for valet and $12.00 for self parking/per day) and there is a n internet charge. In the same day I was charged twice for parking, once for the valet and second time for self parking. There was no-one available to help with luggage at the check-out and the garage is quite a distance away (with stairs on the way tot he garage). If in St. Petersburg for business or for visiting local museums, this is a great location, walking distance to downtown and restaurants. However, do not choose this hotel for a holiday, romantic weekend or honeymoon. You will not enjoy it and will feel dumb for paying such a high price for a motel style experience.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank GVO_LA
Reviewed May 15, 2011

I booked this hotel for my husband and I to enjoy a night away, but close to home (Tampa). We booked a package that included things like champagne upon arrival, and a couples massage. We arrived on a Saturday afternoon, and the place was packed. The person checking us in wasn't warm or welcoming, as I would expect staying and paying for a package at a well known "high class resort & spa" We were able to check into our room early, but were given a piece of paper ( our certificate for the weekend to use for everything that was included in our package), and on it read that we needed to call in room dining for our complimentary champagne. This was the first red flag of many for the entire experience at the Vinoy. One would think that after paying top dollar for a nights 'romantic package' you wouldn't have to have a certificate to enjoy the package you purchased, nor call room service to ask for our complimentary champagne. After 30 minutes of waiting for our champagne, we had to finally call to cancel the delivery because we had an upcoming appointment for our couples massage. The Vinoy spa is NOT IMPRESSIVE AT ALL. My husband and I enjoy massages on occasion and we have a local place in Tampa that we frequent that is less than 1/2 the price of the Vinoy spa and has a much NICER ATMOSPHERE then the outdated, cluttered, over rated Vinoy spa. The massage was fine, nothing that impressive, and it was definitely not worth it for the price!! The room was mediocre, just an average room, nothing special the pillows were horrible. We finally got our 'complimentary champagne' after calling a 2nd time after our mediocre massage. We ate dinner out, and enjoyed the vicinity of the Vinoy, which is within walking distance to an abundance of restaurants off of Beach St in downtown St. Pete. The next morning we ordered our in-room dining breakfast which was another item that was included in our package...which was delivered about 45 minutes later. It was a descent breakfast, but not worth the $60 price!! Upon checkout, the attendant asked how our stay was, and I said it was "OK" and explained some of the things I have written here. I also filled out a comment card, and will post this to as many review boards as possible. He printed out our bill, and come to find out there was yet another thing wrong with the whole 'resort and spa experience' our bill included charges from the valet and the massage that were supposed to be included in the package!!! So, we had to wait an extra 10 minutes for the attendant to adjust the bill so we weren't charged!! For the price of the romance package at a supposed upscale resort I expected a much greater level of service and experience than what we received. One other complaint before closing, WIFI wasn't included!! In this day and age, WiFi should be included (especially at the price of this hotel) as it is in almost any other hotel you stay in these days!!! OVERALL, I appreciate the history and historic nature of the Vinoy, it's great to experience by getting a cocktail and hanging out at one of the restaurants, but that's as far as I would recommend, I would NOT EVER RECOMMEND STAYING OVERNIGHT, NOR WOULD I EVER RECOMMEND THE VINOY SPA.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tampavacay
Reviewed May 14, 2011

I recently stayed here from Monday to Friday. The place was off the hook, Everyone from the bellboy to the room service staff were excellent. I was here for a work related conference and loved it. The room service food at most hotels are cold and horrible by the time it gets to you. The room service here was hot and quick. The amount of food was more than I expected and I enjoyed every indulging bite in the comfort of my luxurious room. The beds equaled to my bed at home that i spent $5,000 for. Needless to say, i am planning a family vacation staying at the Vinoy.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank PastorMHCOG
Reviewed May 14, 2011

Great location and within walking distance to many restaurants. The rooms are what you would expect from a Marriott property. The food was expensive and mediocre. We ate out most nights after our first experience at the hotel.

The pool was packed with kids, is small considering the size of the property and has no lanes to swim laps.

This hotel will nickle and dime you to death - a box of cereal, banana and juice for breakfast was about $10 - internet is not free (to me this is like charging for toilet paper) - parking is about $20 per night and so on.

The hotel is very over staffed in tip locations (bell-hops, valet parking etc,) and very understaffed in restaurants.

Be aware, most rooms offer no view.

No concierge or club level

Room Tip: Get a tower room on upper floor facing marina
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2011

This hotel is obviously a good hotel however the location, charges for parking and internet and rather aloof reception staff detracted from an otherwise good experience at the hotel. When we arrived we asked if we could have a marina view and despite the hotel being fairly empty the man at reception kind of sneered at us when we asked - needless to say we didn't get an upgrade. Our room was fine and there are 3 restaurants at the hotel - we ate at 2 of them. Marchands was lovely - great steak and sophisticated atmosphere. Nothing seems to open late here and the location was ok - good for the Salvadore Dali museum (really interesting) but if visiting St Pete's again would probably choose to stay at the gulf side. The one thing to point out here is the bugs at the pool. They were everywhere and after travelling through different areas of Florida this was probably the worst area for bugs.

Room Tip: Ask for a Marina view.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank igm
Reviewed May 1, 2011

Tip of my tennis cap to the Vinoy Staff. From check-in to check-out it was a wonderful stay. I was there for a work conference but had a flexible schedule with ample time to take advantage of the restaurants, pool and tennis. First, the rooms have been remodeled and are quite nice: spacious, large LG flat screen, comfortable bed and super-comfortable bathrobe. The bed was TOO comfortable....was tough to get out of bed ;) My only minor complaint is that the internet was slow....both ethernet / hard-wired and wi-fi. The restaurants - service and food are outstanding -- casual poolside Al Fresco's, Marchand and Fred's. The bar staff at Marchand's know the menu inside and out and make a mean Dirty Martini - the fact that they had blue cheese stuffed olives earns them an extra bonus star.

The Fitness Center is top-notch with lots of equipment, no wait and great hours. The Tennis Center -- great staff - especially Ana Maria who was able to get my tennis racquets strung on short notice and followed up with a call to my cell-phone to let me know they were ready. Terrific clay courts as well.

Easy to get a chair at the pool and like that they kept fresh fruit-infused cold water readily accessible.

Short walk to all the restaurants on Ocean Avenue/Road and wonderful staff. The valets, bellhop, front desk and all the service staff. Keep up the great work. Looking forward to my return next April!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Hollander Hotel
Hollander Hotel
#2 of 43 in St. Petersburg
Hampton Inn and Suites St. Petersburg Downtown

Been to The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!