“A Pleasant Surprise in Downtown St. Pete”
Review of Brick & Mortar

Brick & Mortar
Ranked #7 of 1,096 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Reviewed April 27, 2019

Lots of word-of-mouth on Brick & Mortar, so we decided to give it a spin. It was a pleasant culinary surprise. The ambiance is industrial chic, and nicely appointed, but pretty loud because of all the hard surfaces. The menu is really eclectic and surprising. My wife and I shared the clam appetizer and truffle fries. Both were excellent. For the main course I had the espresso rubbed short ribs and my wife the airline chicken brined in citrus. Both also rocked. We shared the pana cotta for desert. The wine menu was equally eclectic with mostly mid-prices reds of good quality. I suspect if beer wasn't pushed so much, they might improve their wine offerings. Our served was efficient, knew the product and helped make the dinner more enjoyable. Since it gets crowded and noisy, I recommend going on a M-Thursday night EARLY for a pleasant surprise.

Date of visit: March 2019
Write a reviewReviews (208)

Reviewed April 19, 2019 via mobile

OMG let me start by saying the food is amazing Soo delish and the drinks are just as good can't wait to come back and try something new

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed April 13, 2019

One warm evening while looking for a place to eat downtown before a performance at the Studio @620 we happened upon Brick & Mortar. The outdoor seating appealed to me as it reminded me of Paris with the wide variety of styles and moods passed by every minute. Our meal included a Grilled Romaine salad, Carpaccio Ravioli, Tuna Tartar, two drinks and a dessert. It was truly an adventure in new tastes and the scenery passing by made the time we spent there all the more pleasurable for it.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed March 31, 2019 via mobile

Wife has been wanting to go for a long time since she has heard so much about it so we went for our anniversary. Went on a Friday night, around 5:30 so got in pretty quick. Ordered the clams, which were really amazing! And had bread to dip in the sauce... it was excellent! Should have stopped there. The burger was good, not great for the price, the wife had BBQ which she said was OK. The really disappointing thing was the fries with truffle. I have heard they are delicious! I took one bite and almost gagged because the garlic was so strong. My wife had one and same thing. I didn’t say anything because I figured that’s what people like. I have since heard that’s not the case, and they normally aren’t that strong. Unfortunately, it kinda spoiled the rest of the meal for me because I took a couple more, thinking that was just a strong one. Nope! All of em were the same. Still tasted it the next morning.
$110 for 3 beers, an appetizer, a. Urgent and a meal should be a little more overwhelming in my book..
May go back but will stop at the Clams and bread.

1  Thank Rocky J
Reviewed March 24, 2019

Brick & Mortar does not take reservations, except they do have a private dining room off their lobby that you can reserve if you have a large group. For the second time, we reserved that room for several couples to celebrate a few birthdays. I think we booked it about 6 weeks ahead of our visit to get it on a weekend and at a time that worked for us.

We all like to order lots of small plates and selected entrees and pass they around to share. Beef Carpaccio is one of our favorite appetizers and we order it at lots of restaurants. Our favorite version of this dish is at a restaurant down in Key West and the one here we rank right up even with that one. We ended up getting 4 orders, it was that good. Also excellent were the Roasted Octopus appetizer and two special dishes that evening, Mussels and Risotto with scallops. We got multiple orders of each of those. Everything was absolutely delicious, no exceptions. We are not dessert people but, heck, we were celebrating birthdays and ordered three different dishes to share. Besides, just a bite of each doesn't count, right? All were very good, but i thought the Bread Pudding was especially exceptional. Others raved over the Chocolate Cake.

This was a pricey evening, about $80 per person including bottles of good quality wine and the tip, but well worth it for a special night. Kudos to Brick & Mortar for outstanding service (thanks Dustin!) and 5-star food. We'll be back.