“Best Menu Experience in Town”
Review of Z Grille

Z Grille
Ranked #130 of 918 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 1st Avenue South
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Over the years, we have learned where to go in St. Petersburg and the Beaches for a good meal. But no place offers a nicer surprise than the Z Grille downtown on 2nd Street.

When biking, we sometimes stop there for lunch, usually including a tray of deviled eggs. We can eat outside and keep an eye on the bikes.

The menu is so unusual that one is tempted to list all the neat things, but you can see for yourself on the Z Grille web site. Personally, my favourite is the wild and wacky Cornflake Sage Fried Chicken which is truly inventive. If you want to be prosaic, you can order the one pound Rib-Eye.

We think the wine prices are a little expensive, so we try to get our wine ordered during the 4:00 to 6:30 period when prices are reduced by half.

The ambience is modern, and noise level high. Not perfect for a romantic evening, but definitely fun with friends.

Reservations are recommended.

1  Thank datacat
There are newer reviews for Z Grille

Reviewed March 24, 2013

It's rare to find a place where while you're having dinner you say to yourself, "I have to come back tomorrow". I got that feeling at Z Grille. Cudos to the chef/owner (you see him front and center in his baseball cap) and his lovely wife (you see her at the front door greeting/seating guests. This place is very special. The space is very modern.. with a food bar in front of the open kitchen to the left as you walk in and a nice dining room to the right... all one big room. The menu is not huge, but it seems that everything on it was thought out to be the best it could possibly be... with the precision of a master. It's obvious that this guy cares about everything he puts out on the table. The food was amazing, just perfect... and everything I saw on other tables looked fantastic as well. We ordered so much food that I couldn't even think about desert... but I saw a piece of the Almond Cheesecake go by that looked so good I just had to take one to go... and I'm glad I did... don't miss it if it's on the menu (it was a special). Service was excellent too. Of course, I did go back the next day for another fix. Leaving town today... just wish Z Grille was in Boston.

3  Thank WINEandTRAVEL
Reviewed March 23, 2013

This is our second visit to Z Grille. Love the deviled egg appetizer. I had a lovely salad with asparagus, red pepper and tortilla strips. Entree was the sea bass over goat chees and arugula risotto. Then there was dessert - salted caramel cheesecake spring rolls. Soooooo good.

All this and since it was Monday, half price bottles of wine! Plus stellar service. Can't wait to go back!!

1  Thank estherb818
Reviewed March 12, 2013

The meals were very good but a bit too expensive. No bread with meals. Also it was noisy. recommend reservations for weekend.

2  Thank bb-starr
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We three dined here on a Friday night. It was crowded and noisy, obviously a favorite of locals. The service was friendly and somewhat attentive. This place seems to pride itself on menu items that are a bit off-center or unusual. For instance, the house specialty is deviled eggs; these come a variety of ways, including one with caviar; three half-eggs cost $5.00. The pattern here is for modest portions at relatively high prices. A lobster avocado salad ($14) and quesadilla shrimp ($13) promised more in imagination than they delivered in taste. There are some good local and imported draft beers but the $8 price for my draft was a shock. All in all, a nice take but not a place I'd frequent.

1  Thank Edward3005