“Needs help”
Review of Primi Ristorante Italiano - CLOSED

Primi Ristorante Italiano
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Post office
Description: The Klenke Family has taken over Primi, and all we can say is - HOLD ONTO YOUR HAT! This snazzy indoor/outdoor eatery has long been a downtown favorite. But now that Klenke enlisted an extraordinary kitchen staff to fine tune the menu, locals and out-of-towners are converging in record numbers. How have patrons weighed in thus far? Wrote one, "It’s such a joy when you find a restaurant that you want to go to every day..." And another enamored diner had this to say, "Primi is a fantastic local place that I will frequent again, and it is very reasonably priced...You could easily spend something comparable or more at a cookie-cutter chain -- but in the end, a place like Primi is a much more rewarding experience." Indeed, it is. For lunch, the Chicken Feta Roast Pepper Panini, House Salad and Pasta Dishes come highly recommended. For dinner, the Beef Carpaccio or Black Mussels in white wine ... Don't forget to ask for the home made deserts: Tiramisu' , Creme Brulee'...& more!
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We decided to try this place while we were downtown in St. Pete. A spur of the moment decision to eat out for dinner and we love Italian food. We arrived early since we didn't have a reservartion. The sign outside said that they had a new chef and new menu - that should have warned us. A staff member greeted us very nicely and seated us. We ordered our drinks and were told some highlights of the menu from our server. We did order an appetizer - Fried artichokes that were amazingly delicious. My husband ordered a chicken dish that was actually pretty good. There were not a lot of pasta items on the menu, but I ordered one that indicated it was spicy. I asked the server if it was very hot or just mildly hot. She indicated that it was not very hot with just a few hot pepper sprinkles --- Try a handful when it arrived and I tasted it!!! If I had known that, I would have asked them to tone it down, but the server should have figured that out by my question. I like spicy food, but not flavorless just hot food. No bread was offered so we asked for some bread with olive oil, which was delivered to our table. Forget that -- it was soft bread not what you would expect in and Italian place. We have been to Italy several times and never had bread that soft. However, the herbed olive oil was very tasty. The whole time we were there, the only other customers were 2 people drinking at the bar while the manager talked to them. And this was on a Friday night. Also Salsa music was playing the background - how about something connected to Italy. Service was spotty - they need to do some training here. Menu was strange. They don't seem to have figured out what type of restaurant they want to be.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I am not one to always write reviews, but I had a fantastic time at Primi on Saturday night and thought that I would give it a shot. The place was busy, but the staff handled that with ease, while also making it an entertaining experience for my fellow guests and me. The meal and cocktails were just as good as the service, making it a great night. This worked out quite well, as I had assured my out-of-town guests that they would love this place!

1  Thank Jim R
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We went to our favorite Italian restaurant for dinner last night and tried some of their new dishes on the menu.
The place was very busy and it took a little longer for our food to come out, but it was worth the wait! The warm spicy olives were simply delicious and the shrimp with parmesan polenta and penne arrabiata are definitely my favorite.
So glad we went and thanks to the team that again took such good care of us!

Reviewed September 20, 2013

This was our fourth visit to Primi. We have enjoyed it on the past 3 times. We went in early September to us a Groupon which we had which was about to expire. The menu had been changed and was the most ridiculous selections we had ever seen. 2 sides with your entree-a choice of pasta and potato? In addition, a waiter we have seen there many times was taking care of the entire dining room alone and going behind the bar to get drinks. I could tell by facial expressions and body language of the 3 tables seated next to us that they were less than thrilled also. It is a shame because we live within walking distance and always consider this as one of our favorite restaurants in St Petes'. We will have to hear positive news about Primi before we return.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

used my groupon on last day before it expired, along with everybody else. sat next to new owner and had the new heavy set female chief cooking in back. The other dude is history. Only thing good was warm bread and garlic oil. Got the burger with spinach instead of pasta side I ordered. Wanted the rosemary potatoes, but the waitress with major attitude and lack of any basic skills said they were out.. As long as it took for anything, the all girl cook team could have cooked some up in 5 to 8 minutes. I just can't get over how bad that burger tasted. I had to get a McDouble for a dollar, on way home to get foul taste out of mouth. I sure I'll be getting massive stomach ache around 3 or 4 am . I'll let you know with follow up review. This place needs to try eating there own food, or new owner should pay more attention on the "Be Here Now" mantra and get better quality foods to cook. Groupon or no groupon, I never going back, unless the owner personally invites me back for a quality complementary dinner to make up for the dog food horse meat burger I had tonight,