TripAdvisor
St. Petersburg
Post
Inbox
Search

“Better food than I had in NOLA”
Review of Chiefs Creole Cafe

Chiefs Creole Cafe
Ranked #8 of 1,110 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 3, 2019

My girlfriend decided to treat me to a birthday weekend in St. Pete and told me to pick any place I wanted for my birthday dinner. I looked through all the restaurants in the city and didn't find any that spoke to me more than Chief's Creole Cafe. I love Cajun food and I could not be happier with my choice.

Situated near the ballpark Chief's is easy to get to and has its own off street parking. There's an outdoor seating area in addition to the restaurant itself. We chose to sit outside where the smell from the smoker made our mouths water. We decided to start our meal with the crawfish fritters and then we both ordered the jambalaya for dinner. I now wish I had ordered something different from my girlfriend just so we could have sampled another one of Chief's wonderful entrees.

Both dishes were outstanding and better than just about any of the meals I had in some of the most famous NOLA restaurants. The fritters were chock full of real crawfish and not cut up shrimp like you get in some places. The jambalaya was absolutely delicious and chock full of sausage, crawfish and chicken in a spicy broth that was heavenly.

As we were finishing our dinner the owner, Mr. B, came out to greet us and ask about our dinner. He also treated us to an order of their delicious beignets just because. His visit with us topped off the whole experience since you could tell by how he spoke just how much he loves cooking great food at reasonable prices.

If you go to St. Pete and you don't visit Chief's you're missing the best dining experience in the city.

Date of visit: June 2019
Write a reviewReviews (315)

Reviewed September 3, 2019 via mobile

A touch of Louisiana on the west coast of Florida. We were several years out from our last trip to New Orleans and real Cajun food when Dorian drove us to the St. Petersburg and the need for comfort food. We stumbled across the Chiefs Creole Cafe in the southern part of St. Petersburg and what a lucky find. Great gumbo, red beans and rice with andouille ain a lovely setting, service friendly and welcoming. All in all a great experience.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed August 8, 2019

We have been to this fine dining establishment a number of times. This place never disappoints. Fantastic food, great service and a wonderful environment make this place an A+++ on our list.

Date of visit: August 2019
1  Thank Pjclocal
Reviewed July 10, 2019 via mobile

I highly recommend this place the food is great good prices just like New Orleans will come back again and again

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed July 4, 2019 via mobile

What a wonderful place to eat! The service was excellent, personable and attentive. The food was great. I had the beans and rice with the andouille sausage. Wow! We had a party of 7 and I did not see a speck of food on any of our plates when we left. Both the owners, husband and wife, came over to chat with us. Very hospitable. A five star rating for this one!!

Date of visit: July 2019