TripAdvisor

Ranked #8 of 1,096 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 14, 2019 via mobile

Outside patio/garden with a fountain is beautiful. Inside dining room is almost picnic table style dining but on large and small granite tables pushed together. Really cool and unique. Not a private/romantic room. You could easily make friends with the next table. Tall ceilings. Our server was apparently our cook, as well. Service was attentive and friendly but not polished. He was smiley and fun. We received complimentary fried ocra. Delicious. The salad dressing, apricot basil, was exquisite. All four of us ordered different items and everyone was impressed. This is SOLID cooking in a fancy/not fancy atmosphere.

Date of visit: May 2019
1  Thank BahamaBob65
Write a reviewReviews (314)

Reviewed May 12, 2019 via mobile

We've been to Chief's 3 times so far and have had 3 enjoyable meals for the most part. I'd never had fried okra before going to Chief's and now I'm a believer. The bread pudding is the BEST. The begniets were good too. The shrimp Po' boy is very good. I really prefer remoulade but Chief's only does a house made Cajun sauce, it's still tasty though. The only disappointments I've had so far are the red beans and rice I found lacking in flavor and one time our server forgot to bring our credit card back.

Reviewed May 4, 2019 via mobile

A reading of the menu begins with a story of devotion by a son who opened this restaurant five years ago to his mother, who brought her culinary talents from Louisiana many decades earlier. We could not appreciate how our first visit would validate that underlying mission. A laid back Saturday afternoon meant less than ten people in this unique space that blends the ornate with a creole chic vibe. But after nearly ten minutes of no service I sought out someone. The cook was so gracious he apologized for the new and only server. No problem...we are patient high school teachers. But another five minutes and nothing. But then a different man came out to set things right, mostly with his genuine sincerity and positivity. Our order was taken and soon delivered by this same man who turned about to be the owner! And what a sensational meal. The crawfish fritters were loaded with tender shellfish and a beautiful mix of peppers. The shrimp and grits - soft and bolstered with subtle spices - was served with a luscious “grit sauce” (there is such a thing!). My “spicy jambalaya” was better then any I’ve had in the Crescent City. This wonderful man did more than make us happy. He is making his mother proud.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed April 22, 2019 via mobile

This is a difficult review to write as our table was divided about this restaurant. Half loved it and would come back. The other half (of which I am a part) appreciated going once but would not want to go back again. The service was actually nice and the quality of the food was palpable. The problem is that they were missing many items from their menu, which was already limited in the first place. Overall, you feel like you’re eating out of somebody’s kitchen in Louisiana (again, good quality but limited choices). Before forewarned, though, the food is spicy, even when not advertised as such. In the end, I would recommend that you give it a try and formulate your own opinion.

Reviewed April 7, 2019 via mobile

The food is the real deal. Met the owners and they are lovely people. Pretty much everyone was friendly.

I love when local businesses like this thrive. It’s good for the community.

I would say definitely give it a try. But unless they get there act together on service they will struggle.

My wife ordered the Sunday meal. The food was great. It comes with ham steak and fried chicken. The only problem, they forgot to include the ham.

By the time we were able to flag our waitress down it was worth asking for it.

Note to owners - Please get it together:-)