Tripadvisor
St. Petersburg

“Taste of New Orleans in St Petersburg”
Review of Chiefs Creole Cafe

Chiefs Creole Cafe
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 5, 2018 via mobile

I love Creole and Cajun food, so when visiting St Petersburg, I had to try this restaurant. It’s a little off the beaten path and the building and surrounds have seen better days. But the decor was certainly reminiscent of Louisiana and the food would definitely keep me coming back. I visited for lunch and for $14, they brought me unexpected fried okra to start and an unexpected salad with homemade apricot and basil dressing. My main dish was shrimp etouffee.The shrimp, rice and sauce were all perfectly prepared. The portion was dinner size for lunch. The owners were lovely people who started the restaurant in honor of his mother. It’s the kind of food that makes you crave coming back for more.

Date of visit: October 2018
Write a reviewReviews (325)

Reviewed September 30, 2018 via mobile

Had a lovely lunch at Chief Creole Cafe and a business meeting. It’s the real deal. The Jambalaya was wonderful! Cornbread, Okra, sweet potato shoestrings, lots of tasty creole food.. My husband had Catfish with Rice and beans. Owner was absolutely lovely, came by the table and gave us the history of the restaurant and overall it was different, tasty and FUN!! Staff was very accommodating.. absolutely would return!

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed September 16, 2018

Chief's is a wonderful and extremely tasty place.
The location is beautiful, and our group had the benefit of the owner telling us stories about the 1939 building and recounting how it had stood vacant to 35 years.
The interior makes you feel transported, very stylishly done with nice vintage details.
The service is attentive and very friendly.

The food? Yes, definitely feels like New Orleans - home tested recipes that Auntie made for her family. The Jambalaya, the Gumbo, the grits and especially the bisquits! Mmmm, mmmmm!
Definitely worth going out of your way for!

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed August 17, 2018

I love this place! The food is fantastic, authentic, New Orleans Creole cooking. The decor is elegant and welcoming and the only thing better than the food is the service. Betty was our server and she was so gracious and friendly. We keep coming back to Chief's because the food and service is consistently wonderful. I can't go home unless I bring my husband a piece of thier bread pudding. One of the owner's came to our table to welcome us and see if we needed anything, a very nice touch. We'll be back soon.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed August 14, 2018

My husband & I were celebrating our 39th anniversary on 8/11/18. I ordered the Jambalaya because I love spicy food. After reviewing some of the pictures online I see that my dish did not even look like the pictures depicted of my dish. There was very little rice, no chicken and the sausage was awful and the shrimp were super tiny. This dish was over the top spicy and it looked like somebody's leftovers. The corn muffins were bland. I didn't want to complain because I didn't want them to think we just wanted a free dish, but I had 3 people ask me about my meal (they noticed I was not eating it). In the end, one of the employees offered me pound cake to make up for the awful meal. Well guess what? It was inedible, as well. We tossed it in the trash. It tasted like someone had put "used" grease in the cake batter instead of butter.

The only reason I rated them with 2 stars was for the entertainment. I wouldn't come back to this place if Moses, himself told me to. No how, no way.

Date of visit: August 2018