Tripadvisor
St. Petersburg

“Quaint, Quirking and Great Craft Beers”
Review of Hops and Props

Hops and Props
Ranked #184 of 1,005 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Reviewed August 25, 2019

Stopped into Hops and Props recently with a group of friends. We didn't know what to expect but we loved it. there was construction in the area so it made it hard to get to but it was well worth the effort. It's small and very quaint. The main attraction is the beers. They had an excellent selection of about 20 local craft beers on tap. The bartender was knowledgable about all the beers and more than willing to talk about them. If you're a fan of craft beers and places for to talk to your friends while enjoying the, this is the place.

Date of visit: August 2019
Write a reviewReviews (59)

Reviewed December 15, 2018

Great selection of local brews! Frank is personable and really knows his hops! Quirky food selections and ambiance.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed November 26, 2018 via mobile

We saw the signs....TWO of them, that said they were open. It was Sunday but the sign in the front window said they opened at 11 AM on Sunday and it was 11:10, but the doors were locked. I'm surmising the place is either out of business or they have a poor staff.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed August 6, 2018

Small plates, cozy atmosphere, great tap selection, Beach Drive’s Cinderella, hidden off the beaten path.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed July 5, 2018 via mobile

Went in for a solo recon for my food review article. I asked if the smoked bacon Mac and cheese was made ahead of time. He said he never made it so he didn’t know. Right away I got attitude from a young, slim, slicked back Hair bartender who looked like a Hipster.

Despite his attitude, I said I’d give it a try.

Ten minutes later he brings out the Mac and cheese. It had so much cheese on top it was like a brick you couldn’t get your fork through. I scraped it off to view the consistency, color and quality of the cheese sauce and how pasta was cooked.

Pasta was mushy over cooked and cheese sauce had consistency of frozen them microwaved Velveta. It was ICE COLD except around edges.

I asked bartender if it was made fresh. He said ‘what do you mean’ (not a good sign if staff doesn’t comprehend the term fresh)!

I said is it reheated or microwaved? He snootily replied, “its reheated and we have no microwave here.”

After this rude behavior, unprofessional staff and poor quality- make that disgusting taste, texture, temperature of the food; I informed him I wasn’t interested in him reheating it a second time and left.

Couple all the above with inconvenient location on the pier that is under construction, absolutely NO parking and I would not recommend this place to eat at!

Except to have a drink and visit Fred (the NICE and unique bartender), I wouldn’t go back!

Date of visit: July 2018