“Cheap motel”

Ranked #35 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Quebec
“Cheap motel”
Reviewed May 5, 2010

Front desk try to charge me twice. Dirty condom at the footstep of our door. Cigarette burn on my pillow ( in a non-smoking room) Only 1 towel in the Bathroom. Bathroom so used and old. When the neigbord flushed his toilet water was leaking in my room.
Located on a very busy road, fire trucks and police car all night. All the restaurants nearby closed by 9-10pm...

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank Steffishock1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed February 25, 2010

I spent 15 days in room 224 of the Budget Inn. The oddest thing about my stay is that their web site http://www.magnusonhotels.com/budget-inn-st-petersburg was giving me a price of over $400 per week but when I asked at the front desk I was given a rate of $210 per week. The web site is cleverly worded to make it appear as if Budget Inn is owned and operated by a corporation called "Magnuson Hotels" but upon closer inspection of other pages in the magnusonhotels.com domain, you'll see that this is not the case. Magnuson appears to simply be some kind of booking engine similar to Expedia, Travelocity, etc.

Anyway, this is definitely not a family vacation hotel. You're in an area of urban decay; not quite a ghetto but full of the usual urban characters such as prostitutes and panhandlers. Several street corners near Budget Inn are popular spots for the down and out to stand and hold signs directed at passing cars.

The hotel is sort of U-shaped, with most of the rooms inside the U facing the pool. There is another row of 2 floors of rooms on the south side of the motel, facing a KFC/A&W restaurant. I had a room on that side, near 34th St, and it was very noisy with the sound of passing traffic, sirens, and cars that go BOOM.

The room also smelled pretty foul. Cigarette smoke, mildew, a combination of both, I dunno. So I walked down to the Publix about 10 blocks away and bought some air fresheners at $1 each. Three was enough (one on each night stand and one in front of the air conditioner/heater.) A box of foam earplugs solved the noise problem.

This is the kind of motel where you expect to see roaches and/or bedbugs come cruising out at any time of day. Surprisingly, during my 15 days there, I didn't encounter any bugs of any kind. That elevates this motel above the worst of the worst; along with the helpful and polite attitude of the family that owns and/or manages the place. Usually a place like this will have rude owners who treat you like you're some kind of lowlife but that's not the case. The family appears to live in an apartment behind the front desk and they take turns working the office.

In my opinion, the main problem with this property is that the housekeeping staff has been lazy and doesn't care. There were old crusted stains on the toilet that could have easily been cleaned off at one time but instead were allowed to remain for years. Same with the nicely colored bathroom tiles. You can tell they're newer than the rest of the property, but no one ever bothered to scrub them. I pulled back the nightstands to see years of dust and dirt piled up underneath. Same with the refrigerator.

The bed spread and sheets also had cigarette burns in them, and of the four pillows on my bed, one was definitely a shade of brown compared to three which were off white.

If the property owners would hire a special deep cleaning crew to go in and thoroughly clean each room, and spend $50 per room for new bed spreads, this would probably be just as nice a place as the nearby Quality Inn and Hampton Inn.

It seems that they're trying but their housekeeping staff just doesn't care. Or perhaps they're not paid enough to care.

Bonuses are free wireless Internet, which I found to be unreliable at times but mostly usable; and you're in walking distance to three grocery stores (Sweetbay, Winn Dixie, Publix) and a lot of fast food places (Arby's, McDonald's, KFC, A&W, Dunkin Donuts, YaYa's Chicken, Piccadilly Buffet, Hungry Howies, Burger King, Wendy's.)

I bought a bicycle at ABC Bicycles and spent six weeks riding around the St. Petersburg gulf coast area; then sold them back the bike at a huge discount before coming back to Portland Oregon. Budget Inn had the best bike parking situation (I could lock the bike to a decorative metal railing right in front of my room) of the four hotels I stayed at.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank UMustBeTrippin

Travelers are raving about these St. Petersburg hotels

AL
Reviewed April 8, 2009

In "the 'berg" to visit family for 5 days. Attentive, friendly staff. Solid, basic accommodation. I got a clean, smoke free room with a desk, TV, mini-frige, microwave, chair, ottoman and wi-fi. Seems to be owned and operated by a family that cares. I was concerned by old reviews and called and talked with the desk. Glad I did. I was not disappointed with the property. I was afraid that I would not get a "real" non-smoking room (hard core ex-smokers will understand) as they tend to not exist in "value properties". Clean and non-smoking are non-negotiable for me. Breakfast is in office and is cold cereal, milk, juice and coffee. The building itself seems to be out of 50's/veryearly 60's and is in good shape. It has a few quirks but no deal breakers. I think the owners have done a good job. If you expect The Vinoy or The Don keep going. I'll stay here and spend that money on restaurants. I am not really sure how to rate things because don't know whether to use rating system that includes Ritz-C and Four Seasons or on this class so my rate is for somewhere in-between. Just best to say good bang for the buck.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
kentucky
Reviewed October 26, 2008

I just stayed at this hotel and it is better now that it is renovated. I had come here before and i agree with the other reviews, but the rooms are definitely 100% better! As for the rooms, they have all new furniture, big tv, new carpet, and beds. The staff was great and helped me get around the city. They are under a new management now and they have cleaned up this hotel. I do not have any negatives about this hotel and my stay here was very safe and nice!

• Stayed October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Orlando, FL
Reviewed September 23, 2006

I've never been to St. Petersburg before and was going to the Yankees game, so I wanted a place to stay that was close to the stadium. I got the number for this motel out of one of those discount coupon/tour guide booklets.. It was the closest place that I could see, so I called and made a reservation a month ahead of time.

We got there, and from the outside it looked "OK", a little older, but we noticed that a lot of the places in the area had a somewhat dated look. We asked to go inside and look at a room, as we were considering going somewhere else. They let us look at a room, and it too looked "OK". The furniture, walls, etc. weren't in great condition, but we figured for one night it wouldn't kill us - so we checked in.

The room they gave us wasn't the one we looked at. We walked into the room and the first thing we noticed was the incredible stink of cigarette smoke - it was awful. And I'm a smoker, but I don't smoke inside, so the smell was overwhelming. There were hardly any lights in the room, save for some lights built into the headboard and a godawful red 60's looking lamp that stood in the corner - it took us a few minutes to figure out how to turn it on. The AC unit had no knobs on it and it was on full blast. We spent about 5 minutes in this room and decided we couldn't live with the smell, even if it was only for one night, and asked for another room.

They gave us the room they let us look at initially, though it had a smaller bed it smelled much better than the last - but a little musty. We moved all of our things, started to get settled, turned on the AC unit and found that it wasn't blowing cold air. The desk manager came up to look at it, couldn't get it working, and told us he had another room we could use, so we moved - yet again. Third time is the charm, right?

We get to the third room, it too smelled a little smoky, but it was somewhat tolerable if we opened a window. The first thing we noticed was the wiring for the smoke detector hanging out of the wall and no smoke detector. The detector was sitting on a shelf, not connected or working. The drawers in the dressers were mostly broken, there were even some missing. The refrigerator leaked water all over the floor and the microwave was unplugged - we discovered that the wall outlet was cracked and broken when we went to plug it in. Good thing my boyfriend didn't get electrocuted.

All of the plugs were cracked and you could see the wiring behind the covers, there was mold growing on the bathroom ceiling, as well as wall/drywall damage where there was an obvious leak, the glass in the picture frame was cracked, and the glass in the window was just sitting in the frame. This place is a huge code violation waiting to be discovered. And I definitely wouldn't bring any children to stay there.

As for the description they give you about the motel - I didn't notice any shuffleboard court, or HBO.. I was also told by someone from St. Petersburg that this area was not the best or safest area to stay in. After that we were extremely paranoid - understandably. I give this place -2 stars out of 5. I would deter anyone I spoke to from staying there.

• Liked — It was close to where we wanted to be.
  • Disliked — It was falling apart around us.
  • Tips/Secrets — Spend the extra money and stay somewhere nicer.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank krimicri
vinal008, Manager at Budget Inn, responded to this review, January 13, 2008
Hello there.

We are very sorry for thehorrible experience you've had with this hotel. This hotel is under new management and new owners. So as of right now, I am the current new manager and this hotel is under renovation. We are absolutely 101% sorry for your stay at this hotel and the new staff felt like it was necessary for them to give you something back in return for your horrible experience at this hotel. It will be fully renovated by february. So if you'd like to come back one day, we would give you a discount. Not that much of a discount but something we both could be proud with.

Thanks
Manager
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 15, 2006

This motel has a dumb policy of now allowing their guests to have a visitor. The night desk person was so rude when I had some friends just stop by my room to pick me up to go out for the evening. He had the nerve to call me on the phone and rudely tell me they had to leave. It was interesting that when I checked in I had mentioned that a friend may be joining me and the desk person said nothing about this policy.

My friends were interested in seeing the room as a possibility when they need a place to stay in St Pete. It looks like the place lost 3 regular customers. The Days Inn a few doors down will do just fine.

• Stayed April 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
vinal008, manager at Budget Inn, responded to this review, January 13, 2008
Hello There.

We are very sorry for your experience at this hotel. I am the current new manager and this hotel is under new management as of right now. Also, their are new owners for this location. We are under an extreme renovation right now. So as of February, this hotel will be completly renovated. The Budget Inn owners read this review and we would like to give you a favor for your horrible experience at this hotel. If you want to come back After February 1st, this hotel will be fully renovated and it is our pleasure as the whole budget inn staff to give you a little discount on your stay. Not that big of a discount but something the staff and yourself could be proud of.

Manager