“Great staff”

Florida Orange Groves and Winery
Ranked #19 of 132 things to do in St. Petersburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Florida Orange Groves Winery is Florida’s original tropical fruit winery, producing over 43 different varieties of tropical wines and offering tasting and tours daily. Each of our flavored wines are made from 100% juice, never grape base, creating premium tropical wines with true fruit flavors. With unique options such as Key Lime, Hurricane White Sangria and Mango Momma, you’ll be relieved to sip on wine that actually tastes good!
Reviewed September 10, 2012

They were so friendly, even though I'm not big on sweet wines they were so great we bought 2 bottles anyway

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I drive past here everyday and when a friend was in town finally went in. Really interesting variety of fruit wines and fun wine tasting.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have to admit, I approached this place with a fair amount of skepticism. I have done quite a bit of wine "research" in my life and of course made the usual pilgrimages to Napa and Finger Lakes and all the lesser wine spots in between. Mango wine? Pineapple wine? Seriously, how good could they be? Surprisingly good, as it turns out. These are great-tasting, playful, well-made wines. The Hurricane 5 white sangria was my favorite. Delicious! We bought several bottles to take back home. We took the tour but unfortunately the tour guide apparently didn't know the first thing about making wines, so she couldn't tell us much about how the wines were made. Before I visited this place I would have guessed that these fruit wines were simply grape-based wines with fruit flavoring added. However, after touring this place, I do not think that this is the case. Instead, it looked to me that these folks are making real wines out of tropical fruits with traditional wine-making methods. Bravo to them. Quite a trick to make fruit wines so tasty too. I will be back.

1  Thank thewagabond
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I grew up in St. Petersburg, Florida, but have since moved away. I still visit often and this summer decided to check out some new attractions--which led us to this winery. My husband and I also brought my mom and stepdad, who have both been living in the area for decades but had never been here.

Well, we were all pleasantly surprised by the experience as we thoroughly enjoyed our tour, tasting, and shopping. This place will stay on our list of places to visit when we come to town.

Among the highlights:
* The tour was interesting (they won't tell their "secrets," but it is interesting to see their operation nonetheless).
* The wines are yummy -- with quite a variety. I only wish they had let me try more of them!
* The shopping opportunities are fab! The place is a great spot to pick up gifts to take back home to all those folks who should get something (boss, coworker, housesitter, best friend, etc.). Not only do they sell unique wines, they also carry a broad selection of tropical jams and other knick-knacks. The gift shop entertained our kids while we checked out the wines!
* The location is perfect for a tasty lunch--the famous Ted Peters Smoked Fish restaurant is just down the street a block or so away.

We picked up four bottles of wine (wish I had purchased more!), and assorted jams to take back home to friends. What a fun place! We will be back next time!

Reviewed September 2, 2012

While we consider ourselves a lot more knowledgable now about wine than we were twenty years ago (thanks in no small part to a sommelier son), we were pleasantly surprised by the variey of wines produced at the Florida Orange Groves and Winery in St. Petersburg. We were looking for someplace to while away a few hours out of the summer heat. Since the winery is just across the causeway from the beaches where we were staying it seemed like an interesting sidetrip. We were the only ones there when we arrived (it IS summer!) and the staff was friendly and gracious. A short video and a personalized tour of the winery let us to the tasting station. We even met the owner and heard about his newest "patent pending", bags of wine you can take to the beach and other "no bottles" places. The variety of wines is amazing, and the blueberry tastes like a decent merlot! Our prize was the slushie mix that combines with orange wine to produce a creamsicle flavored freeze, and the key lime wine and mix that tastes like a frozen margarita! We picked up a couple of sets for a party this fall, and found a local distributor where we can get more! Great store with fun wine collectibles, friendly and helpful staff, and free wine samples. You can't beat this one!

1  Thank ChurchDoc