“Wow what a room!”

Ranked #3 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Surrey, UK
“Wow what a room!”
Reviewed October 10, 2010

We stayed at this Hilton for the final night of our vacation after spending 2 glorious weeks on the beach at St Pete Beach. My husband is a diamond member of the Hilton Honours scheme and we were upgraded to a beautiful suite with a fantastic balcony overlooking the lake which I absolutely adored. The suite was spacious and comfortable and everything was to a very good Hilton standard. Free internet is available in all rooms and throughout the hotel. It also has a business centre where you can print off any documents etc. We had use of the Executive club room which was average - it is not staffed at the weekends and drinks are not available in the evenings apart from during the week however breakfast is available there 7 days a week for Hilton Honours members and club room guests.

The staff at the front desk were very helpful with restaurant suggestions for our one evening and when we asked for a taxi to take us they offered us the free hotel shuttle - which was so convenient - when we had finished our meal we just called and were picked up in minutes.

The fitness centre is great - up to date equipment of a very high standard and plenty of towels available. There is also a small outdoor pool which looked very peaceful.

The hotel is in a business park but is right on a small lake with a boardwalk around it - from which we saw lots of local wildlife including many birds, turtles, a snake and an alligator.

It was a convenient location for our final night and I can see that it is a great hotel for businessmen and conventions - but as a 'tourist' I probably wouldn't want to spend more than a couple of nights there as there are just so many beautiful beaches to stay on instead. But the quality of the hotel and its staff is excellent and I would thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Merlin5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Sebastian, FL
Reviewed September 12, 2010

I stayed at the Carillon Park the last two evenings on business and stayed at this particular Hilton because it was the closest to my work. The other choices were Hiltons at Clearwater Beach and Redington Beach. I chose this hotel because of its proximity to my work combined with the convenience of having access to the executive loung for my husband who was travelling with me and who did not have transportation other than using the hotel van.

Lets start with the positives:
- the hotel is impecably clean;
- the hotel is located in a business park with easy access to I-275;
- the rooms are the standard Hilton rooms and are very comfortable;
-dinner and lunch at the hotel restauant were outstanding. Service was also outstanding in the restaurant and in the bar;
-Breakfast in the Ex lounge was adequate however the smoked salmon and the ceviche were darkened and appeared to be left overs from other mornings.

The negatives:
- the rooms are not soundproof. I could hear walking in the hallways, coughing, showering etc.
- The ex lounge does not serve appetizers on the weekend during their happy hour like the larger Hiltons in the Orlando Area. The honor bar does not operate on weekends. There are no deserts in the evening on weekends. Water is not avaabilable readily and must be requested.
- TV Remote did not operate in room. Make up mirror did not operate.
- Front desk staff were just 'ok' and were not overly accommodating. They became more accommodating when the Cleveland Browns arrived and they did not know if we or others were a member of that entourage. At that time service improved considerably and was comparable to some of the larger Hilton resorts in the Orlando area;
-If you are staying with a family, the drive is long to the beaches. If you choose to use the pool, there is a distracting rumbling sound from either A/C or dryers on the side of the building in the pool area;
-The jacuzzi/hot tub at the pool did not operate;
-There was limited towels available in the bathrom (2 of each). When the room was cleaned the first morning, the rug was removed and was not replaced.

All in all, even though the room would rate a 4, the other items rated less than average and were not comparable to other Hiltons. I would recommend this Hilton but with the reservations noted above.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Sebastian_FLBillmar
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Me and few of my friends stayed at this beautiful hotel located on a small lake. The service was great. Especially the front desk personel was very professional, friendly and they had answer to any question we had. Kuddos to all of the management staff. You're lucky to have such a great team. Absolutely recomend this place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed September 4, 2010

Stayed at Hilton while in town to watch the Sox take on the Rays. This was our second consetcutive year staying at the hotel while taking in a Sox game. Clean hotel, friendly staff, convienent location. Definitely recommend the Hilton at Carillon Park.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank whatwyatt
Key Largo, Florida
Reviewed July 5, 2010

We wanted to spend a weekend in the Tampa/St. Pete area, but didn't want to pay the downtown prices in either city. This Hilton is an excellent option as it is in a quiet new business park area just across I-275 from Tampa. Easy on/off I-275 with access to either city in 15 minutes or so. The grounds are beautiful with a 1.2 mile boardwalk just outside the hotel that goes around a small lake with abundant birds, turtles and fish. The staff is exceptional and we managed to book a pre-paid special on-line at the Hilton website that included a full buffet breakfast---the works (from made to order omelets & pancakes to fresh fruits, cereal, oatmeal, bacon, etc!). Staff was exceptionally professional, rooms were large with balcony (ask to be in a room over the lake--we were on the 8th floor--nice & quiet).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Becky037
sc
Reviewed June 26, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay here. It is a large hotel in a business park near the upper end of St Petersburg. We were here on a weekend and it is primarily a business hotel so it was very quiet, although it seems solid so I think there would probably be good soundproofing even full. Loved the extras in the room like a power outlet in lamps and a free standing makeup mirror. Towels and sheets were excellent quality and light colored bedding so you could see it was clean. We went out to the boardwalk around the small lake and wetland as the sun was coming up and enjoyed the beautiful morning as well as getting some cool bird photos. Had a very good eggs Benedict in the hotel restaurant afterward. Their breakfast buffet also looked nice. All staff were friendly, fast and helpful. Not on the beach but for us a good tradeoff.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
NJ
Reviewed June 25, 2010

Wonderful stay for a quick 2-night business trip (though if I were on vacation, I would probably prefer a location closer to downtown St. Pete). My spacious room overlooked the swimming pool, the lake, and the Carillon Park behind the hotel. The lake is rimmed by a really nice boardwalk/walking path, about three-quarters of a mile long, which made a nice start to my morning run. The park surrounding the carillon is actually quite small, but nice. I meant to take a picture of the signs warning to stay away from alligators! I didn't see any, but I did see some lovely birds (herons? osprey?).

Less than half a mile away was a Publix supermarket, which opens at 7 a.m. so it was too early for me to go in during my run, but it would definitely be convenient, because the hotel gift shop stocks only the barest of necessities.

The room itself had plenty of space, with a large 2-level desk, coffee maker, refrigerator (no minibar or microwave), and plenty of well-placed electrical outlets. I usually have a hard time finding places to plug in all my gadgets, but not at this Hilton. I took advantage of the free internet to get some work done, and was amazed that I could actually print remotely to the business center downstairs. Within several minutes I had my printed documents, at no additional charge.

The bathroom had all the usual nice amenities you find in this level of hotel, plus a lit makeup mirror -- nice touch. The hair dryer looked brand new. The only rather unusual thing was there was no toilet paper holder. I looked and looked, and finally had to use Kleenex the first time. Finally I spied a new roll, still in its wrapper, tucked in the back of the shelf with the hair dryer.

Room service food was fine, and the staff were very nice. In fact, all the staff I encountered were incredibly nice and polite. When I made a special request to the restaurant for some dishes for a meeting, they quickly accommodated me. When I called the front desk to do express check-out and asked about a shuttle to the airport, I learned one was just leaving -- a little too soon for me to make, so I would take a taxi instead. Moments later the front desk called me back to inform me the shuttle would return in 30 minutes -- apparently making a special trip for me, since it normally departs on the hour. The desk clerk and the driver (both named Earnest) were equally nice -- made the whole experience such a pleasure, whisking me to the airport within 15 minutes. The shuttle will also take you to nearby businesses.

I'm looking forward to returning, and next time I'll be on the lookout for alligator photo ops!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business