“Just Plain Great”

Hilton Saint Petersburg Carillon Park
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from Christmas Eve until the middle of the following week. It was pretty empty since it is primarily a business hotel. That made my stay even better as I had one of the best rooms on the eighth floor and it was quiet and peaceful. I could have stayed downtown or at one of the beach hotels, but I picked this Hilton on purpose after careful research. The good reviews that you have read here are genuine and the overall value and quality of the hotel is outstanding.

What's really nice about a hotel like this is there is never any add-ons - no paying for parking or ridiculous "resort fees" so that you can use the gym or the pool or business center and not worry about getting sleazed with additional payments. The price is right up front which is consumer-frinedly and how it should always be when you check in.

The staff was friendly, polite, and very willing to help with any problem. I also ate in the restaurant a number of times and it was outstanding. I even brought my elderly father there for brunch on Chirstmas and he was very pleased. The Christmas brunch was actually pretty crowded and I couldn't help but think that the locals probably do brunch there from time to time on the weekends and it is a great value - terrific food and afterwards you can take in the surroundings.

The pool is wonderful and having it heated is all the better. It all abuts to a sweet little nature preserve with walking and running paths. There are plenty of fish and turtles and birds to amuse you as you meander along the lake. I never saw the alligator - and I suppose that I am glad that I didn't! Unfortunately, the hot tub was broken while I was there - those things happen from time to time so I'm not going to make an issue out of it. I still have no idea what the ginat bell tower was all about, but it was cool to look at and use as a point of reference as I wandered around.

Strangely, I never noticed the small refrigerator in the room until almost after I left, which was a very good addition. The hotel is walking distrance to a PUBLIX so you could pick up supplies and maybe have a glass of wine on the balcony as you watch the lights off into the distance or look below during the afternoon and see the turtles swimming around. Next time, that is something that I will do. Also, you can walk to a few other restaurants, which is always a good idea - and I did hit a couple of places for breakfast and dinner.

Although I needed a car to get around town, in reality, you could come and stay without a vehicle as they will pick you up at the airport and transport you to the local sites. If you have business in one of the nearby corporate buildings, then ditch the car and let the hotel do the driving.

Overall, this is one of the best kept hotels that I have seen in a long time. There were a couple of slow drains and whatnot, so I do recommend more routine maintenance, but I've had that happen in five star hotels at the end of a busy run, so like the hot tub, I can't hold it against them. Also, the staff immediately came and handled room issues as soon as I called down, so it was a credit given that they were on a skeleton crew holiday schedule because they are normally filled by corporate clients.

I will come back next year when I visit family over the holidays. It was stress-free, enjoyable and just plain nice. It was convenient to the airport and most of the sites. It truly lives up to the Hilton quality and should rank with the best hotels in the region.

I recommend this hotel - not just to business travelers, but to people who like the idea of a truly fine hotel without having to pay beach rates.

Room Tip: Try and get up high overlooking the nature preserve!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Matollygirl
Write a ReviewReviews (1,124)

Reviewed January 2, 2012

The Nature Preserve is awesome, you must walk it....we saw alligator, numerous birds, ducks swimming with turtles. Hotel is spotless, staff extremely hospitable!!! Classy hotel!! Great stay!

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Visited the hotel in November for business. Will defintely be back. The front desk staff are really nice and helpful. I had a package delivered after I checked out and the staff made sure I received a call when it was received. Now when I say the staff is good let me tell you how they went out of their way. I talked to someone on the phone. She took my number and since I was near the hotel I checked to see if it was received. The entire front desk staff had received a note to be look out for the package. I was impressed. This hotel is perfect for the business traveler and I have stayed here several times.

The only thing that disappointed me was the quality of the restaurant. I visited this restaurant last October when I was at the property and the food was delicious. Not so much on this occasion. Needless to say I would stay at the hotel and eat at another restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for a floor higher up. The views from the hotel are really good. You'll miss out if you ar...
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Stayed here for business, the airport shuttle made getting in and out of Tampa especially easy. The staff was accommodating too. There is a little park behind the hotel with a boardwalk, took a nice stroll and saw turtles swimming in the lagoon, salamanders scurrying around and a ton of birds. Very relaxing.

Room Tip: Its worth asking to stay on the park side, view of pool area and park with bell tower beyond.
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I stayed here for one night on my way from the Tampa Airport to Anna Maria Island. I had a great stay! When I arrived to check in I found that I had been upgraded to a suite on the concierge floor which was an unexpected surprise. I thought the room was very clean, the service was excellent, and even though I had room service for dinner, the food was served hot and was tasty. Breakfast in the executive lounge was delicious and there was a wide variety of breakfast foods.

The wonderful wildlife area around the lake was an added bonus. I was amazed at the wildlife that abounded there and walking around the lake was a great way to exercise! I worked out and the "gym" area was well-equipped with state-of-the art exercise gear. I'd definitely come back

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Very nice new. More of a business hotel. Nice HHonors upgrade and breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I stay at this hotel twice a year for 4 nights each.
In my last review, I mentioned about a broken toaster at the breakfast buffet, but they had a new working toaster this time. Thanks! However, as usual, their bagels are so dry and taste old. They are the worst bagels that I've ever had.
The housekeeping service is inconsistent by day...small things like throwing out today's paper and leaving yesterday's paper on the floor, leaving many old towels, and no bath mat. One thing that I personally feel is that I would like them to leave my used soap and shampoo in the bathroom instead of throwing them away. I appreciate that they leave new soap or shampoo when they do that, but they could also leave the old one. The soap wasn't small and the shampoo wasn't empty.
Thank you.