“Good food in a lovely setting”
Review of Three Birds Tavern

Three Birds Tavern
Ranked #89 of 938 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Three Birds Tavern is located in a 150 year old farm house, one of the oldest buildings in St. Petersburg, with a small, quaint, indoor dining room, a large wrap-around porch under century oaks and two sprawling patios. Made with care and love from our scratch kitchen, we offer European pub classics, such as Scotch eggs, fish and fries and shepherd's pies, along with traditional American comfort food with a modern twist: burgers, fresh-cut fries, wings, ribs, sliders, soup, bread pudding, pork chops, chicken and waffles. You will also find modern food such as shishito peppers, pork belly, Wagyu hot dogs, and made-in-house sauces and dressings. We are home of Out of the Weeds, a line of gourmet dressings offered in hundreds of retail outlets throughout the southeast. Now offering brunch every Saturday and Sunday from 10 am until 3 pm. Family friendly, dog friendly, large group friendly.
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stopped for a light dinner on a Sunday evening and had a lovely meal in a nice setting. We sat on the porch below ceiling fans that helped on a warm evening. Service was very good and our food was tasty. Menu was a little limited to me. But we were overall very happy with our choice.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I've been here a few times and been underwhelmed by the food. I normally like all buffalo wings at least, but the sauces i tried were odd and not in a good way. The fish sandwich was nothing to right home about either. I wish i liked the food more because the atmosphere and setting is pretty cozy.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

I'm still up in air on this place. I went for lunch on Wednesday and I think I liked it... but I'm a bit conflicted. I ordered the Pork Belly and Blue Cheese burger and a side of Guiness Gravy. The Gravy was to die for and I'll probably go back and just order that to go to put on everything I make. So good.
The burger itself was good and cooked to my liking. This was the first time I've tried Pork Belly. It seemed extremely grease soaked to me. I would have to try it again to know if that's the way it's supposed to be, but I doubt it since both the belly and all the fries were super dark in color, as if they had been cooked in old oil. But since the fries had salt on them and I was dunking them in the gravy, I didn't notice.

We sat indoors and it seemed like a pretty small inside unless there was another room. The music was kind of loud considering it was lunchtime and people wanted to talk. There is a large outdoor section but since it's right on 4th St, with lots of traffic, not the best place to have a good chat.

I'll definitely try it again---or at least order lots of that gravy!

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Three Birds is a great building in a good location, and very close to my home. In a previous incarnation, it was one of our favorites - we ate there a few times a month. I got an email that showed summer menu items (no prices shown), and I went to their website (no prices there either). After revieiwng the menu, we decided to give it another try, as we had not been there in more than a year. Now I remember why we didn't go back.

My husband likes Guinness on tap - but at Three Birds, it has a metallic taste. Not at all fresh as it is at other places around town (The Burg and Lucky B's.). He drank about half of it. My red wine was HOT. I guess they store it in an un-air conditioned space, and they don't bother to chill an extra bottle. Saturday's temps here in St. Pete were 95ish. Room temperature would be 80-degrees (warm); this was closer to 90.. soup hot. It cooled off a bit, and I would have asked for a chilled glass, if the waitress ever returned.

My husband said the ribs were very good and he devoured them. I ordered the BLT -with no mayo. The menu says the BLT is made with 9 strips of bacon and it was loaded. It would have been very good, but it was slathered in mayo. I would have asked the waitress for un-mayoed toast so that I could re-build my sandwich, but she disappeared and didn't return. I scraped the stuff off both pieces. I think that a restuarant should at a minimum serve the wine chilled and get my food order right.

For dessert we tried the chocolate mousse / campfire. The marshmallow fluff is a mistake - use mini marshmallows next time for a better result. It was only "fair."

We give Three Birds points for an ambitious menu - but the execution falls short. The sauteed spinach has too much salt and the garlic is a bit heavy (and I love garlic).

Service was terrible / non-existent. Our waitress took our orders - brought us the bad beer and warm wine. Disappeared. A manager came over and asked what kind of bread I wanted for my BLT. She said the wiatress should have asked. The waitress dropped off the food and disappeared again. We didn't see her / couldn't find her, so we could not get the problems corrected. It seemed as if each of the four tables inside had a different server. The servers must have been busy outside on the porch as well. They would drop the food and run away. The manager who asked about the bread never came back - she sat at the bar doing paperwork.

And the smoke from outside comes through the bar which is open to the dining room and the porch. I think a fan might correct this issue - but for now the dining room is as smokey as any "smoking section" around.

There are far better places to eat and drink on Fourth Street, Downtown and in Grand Central. I hope this unique location can improve their product. (Store the wine inside for Pete's sake!) It would be nice to have a neighborhood pub in my neighborhood.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Great outdoor seating area. Good food. Dog-friendly outdoor patio. Ample parking. My husband and I enjoyed the sea-salted pretzel to start, followed by the risotto of the day (asparagus) and the grilled chicken salad - all very tasty.

The service was above average... they were quick to bring our pup a bowl of water when we first sat down.

It was a little pricey for lunch (there is not a separate lunch menu) but otherwise, well worth the visit.