“"NEVER AGAIN"”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 38th Avenue and 66th Street
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I have been dining at the St. Petersburg, Fl Arigato ever since it opened. It used to be a very fun place to dine. The food was always great, the atmosphere was nice, and the entertainment was superb. But it has been going downhill in the last few years and tonite was the straw that broke the camels back. First of all, the manager, who was our greeter, couldn't of been more unfriendly. We went there for my brothers birthday in which he had a coupon for which stated "get a free birthday dinner with a paid dinner of greater or equal value." The food was pretty good but the chef had no personality whatsoever. The resturaunt was not clean in the least, and the waitress never came back once to see if we even wanted anything else to drink or how everything was. When my brother got his bill, they only took $20.00 of the meal instead of the full price of the meal and charged a 22% service charge. WHAT IS THE SERVICE CHARGE FOR??? WE NOW HAVE TO PAY FOR LOUSY SERVICE TOO??? So, this was very disappointing to say the least. When we asked the waitress about this, she said well we only take $20.00 off the bill with the coupon. NOT WHAT THE COUPON STATED. Then she said they add the gratuity on when you have a coupon. Are they trying to loose all their customers. The people we were seated with all had the same complaint. I have to say that after this experience, all of us will never return to this resturaunt. It was such a disappointment to all of us. There are many other Japanese Steak Houses in the area which we have not tried because Arigato has always been our favorite for parties, birthdays or just for a fun nite out to dinner. So we will be in search for a cleaner, more personable and friendly place and one that honors what their coupons state instead of ripping people off.

3  Thank Sue G

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I recently traveled to Japan and once back home started to miss the Japanese cuisine and atmosphere. I took my sister and her two children to Arigato (the two children were supposed to eat for free according to the coupo we had). The food was average, we were sat with another family of five adults. My sister and I were charged gratuity as if we were a party of 9 and not a party of 2! My bill came to $92 for childrens drinks and half off meals that were supposed to be free. I was charged twice [once for $92 and again for $97] and when I called the bank and confirmed the charges. Called Arigato and the manager would not refund, so I had to do a claim through my bank and "TAKE" the money back. The manager stated that they didn't have my money so they couldn't give it to me. It was obvious that there were fraudulent activities caught by the card holder. NEVER EATING THERE AGAIN. This is in no way a representation of the SUPREB customer service and dining experiences I had in Japan.

2  Thank Michelle N
Reviewed June 30, 2012

My major concern also was the cleanliness (or lack thereof) of this restaurant. The restaurant is dated, dirty, and not at all pleasant.

The hibachi grill needed a good cleaning. I typically love teppanyaki restaurants, and really enjoy the experience and food. Not here, though. I wondered just when I would get sick.

The grill had old food and grease residue along the sides also, as well as seeing old food on the floors. The glasses were dirty. We just assumed the plates were.

Friendly enough waitress, and cook, though we had a significant wait at the table while rotting away waiting for the cook to arrive. We assumed that most of the good cooks had long since left for better hibachi restaurants.

This one should be raised and start over. Might have been nice 30 years ago. Certainly not now. We won't be back. Too scared to.

2  Thank zzzzdoc1
Reviewed May 26, 2012

We visit Arigato every chance we get. We love the food and our son loves the show! The chef always makes a volcano and sometimes adds a choo choo and some jokes. Our favorite is the sukiaki steak!

1  Thank linochat
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We had a coupon, and stated so on our arrival. We ordered from the early bird menu. We were told when it was time to pay the bill, that we could not use the coupon for early bird specials. Instead we had to pay full price for our meal to use our coupon. When we received out bill they took off the coupon amount. They also added a tip of 20% to out bill for the original amount. Although we would have tipped, I did not feel a 20% tip was appropriate .Since a tip is rendered in accordance to the service one receives, this would have fallen under 15% at best. We will not be returning.

1  Thank JVSTPETE