“Good food, but not sure about cleanliness”
Review of Arigato Japanese Steak House - CLOSED

Arigato Japanese Steak House
Cuisines: Japanese, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 38th Avenue and 66th Street
Reviewed March 16, 2012

My major concern was the cleanliness of the establishment. The hibachi grill itself was not the cleanest I've seen by far. I dine at hibachi-style restaurants quite often, and the grill on which the food is prepared is usually spotless. This grill had old food and grease residue along the sides and looked as if it does not get cleaned as thoroughly as it should on a regular basis. I also noticed that when the cook came out to prepare the food, he wiped the grill with rags that were dirty and stained. The looked as if they had been used to wipe MANY other things in the restaurant. That "wipe-down" was probably more of a transference of germs than anything. Additionally, there were plates already set on the table around the grill and all of them were dirty. We kept looking at other plates, trying to find clean ones. Our waitress noticed and went to the back to bring us fresh clean ones from the back. My boyfriend even noticed that the side glass door near our grill was spotty and very dirty, as if no one had cleaned it in ages. I know the door doesn't play a part in our actual meal, but the cleaniliness of the restaurant in general speaks volumes to how well maintained the food prep areas are in the back. If staff cannot properly clean the areas that are actually seen by patrons, one can only wonder what the kitchen looks like. Nonetheless, my honey and I always try to make the best of any dining experience and found the food to be good...nothing especially outstanding, but good. Typical hibachi. The waitress and the cook were friendly and overall it was an ok experience.

1  Thank crystal k

Reviewed March 4, 2012

Has always been one of our all time favorite St. Pete restaurant. The cooks put on a great show and work hard to make your meal enjoyable. The quality of the food is excellent and their famous "Goody goody" sauce will make you ask for seconds. The soup, salad and vegetables are extremely tasty as is almost anything you order. You sit around a table with 8 other people and before the meal ends you usually have chatted with everyone at your table. Occasionally you experience having to sit at the same table with a squalling kid but that is very, very infrequent. You can always request an adults only table and will almost always be accomodated. We recommend this place very highly especially for special occasions.

Reviewed February 2, 2012

We have ate at this restaurant in the past but it has been a while. We are local to the area and I purchased a certificate on Groupon. We were told it would only be about a 5-10 minute wait for a table but it was more like 30 minutes. Service was terrible! The waitress apologized and said there were only two waitresses on duty that night. She was clearly very stressed. The food was bland but the chef was entertaining and nice. It took us asking the server three times and the chef asking once for the white rice that we ordered to go with our children's meals. We were finished eating when the rice finally arrived. While I waited for the check my husband took the children to the car. It took 40 minutes to pay the check. I thought it was also strange that the tip was added on to my bill when I received it. We were a party of 2 adults and 2 children. I feel this restaurant my just be under new management. Perhaps that is why they are trying to get new business on Groupon.

1  Thank Baybeblue
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Horrible experience! It was my friend's 60th birthday party and we all wanted to have a special night. Instead, with reservations, we waited 45 min. just to get our water. When my soup came, it had a black hair in the bowl. And, the chicken Arigato was not edible, tough and tasted rancid, none of us could eat it. We told GM, she didn't apologize or care. ughhhh

Reviewed January 8, 2012

We should have known to drive away when we saw two drug deals go down in the parking lot (we were a few minutes early before they opened). Right out in the open!

Although we were among the first 8 guests, all with a reservation, we were made to wait for about 10 minutes, all while being urged to wait in the bar. Obvious money grab. The place was otherwise empty.

We then were jammed into a closet-sized elevator to go to the second floor. Awkward, since we were all strangers literally touching each other it was so tight.

The drinks took another ten minutes, mine was wrong. The soup was cold. Not lukewarm, cold. The salad was poorly-cut iceberg lettace sitting in an eight of an inch of water.

When the chef finally came out .... I've put more effort into clipping my toenails than he put into the performance. I know to them it's just another table, but try to pretend you have a scintilla of interest!

We had a coupon so we couldn't order the cheaper "early bird" menu, but our portions were identical to those who were paying seven dollars less. Take a salt shaker and pour it into your open mouth -- that's the entire flavor of our meals.

I typically LOVE teppanyaki restaurants. I wanted to love this restaurant -- it was a special occasion. I was not trying to find problems. But this restaurant is a disaster.

1  Thank stkittchick