“Always great” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fourth Street Shrimp Store

Fourth Street Shrimp Store
Ranked #22 of 894 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Tampa
“Always great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

Not much to say, they're always great here. The food, atmosphere, and service are always top notch. Been coming here for over 20 years and yet to have a bad experience.

naples, fl
“A good place to eat!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

There are lots of restaurants in the St. Pete area, but I always end up here at least two or three times whenever I'm here. The service is always very good, the food comes out hot and fresh and there's a lot of it. I'm susceptible to french fires, but when I eat here, I usually have the broccoli because it's so fresh and well-cooked. The black beans and rice just edged out the red potatoes this trip. I had fried clams which were not greasy at all, a combination of clam strips and fried shrimp and broiled bay scallops. Everything was wonderful! If you're looking for "fine dining" and upscale atmosphere, go somewhere else and leave more room for the rest of us. But if you get a kick out of funky decor and great food, this is the place.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“I keep trying this place, thinking it can't be that bad but it is.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

I've eaten here at least a dozen times over several years - mostly with my elderly parents. I've never had a satisfying meal here. I keep thinking that a fish store HAS to be fresh and tasty, right? Well that isn't the case here. I tried it again tonight on my own. I was craving fish tacos. I asked if they were mahi and the waiter said they were basa fish. When I asked what that was, he said it's a farm-raised fish from China. The only wild-caught fish they have is cod, so they made codfish tacos. Boring, boring, boring and soggy, soggy, soggy.

Really…this time was the last.

However, it really begs the question that I've pondered every time I come to Florida. It seems to be nearly impossible to get local, fresh-caught fish here. What's the deal? Aren't there any fishermen left in Florida?

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Williams, IN
“All you can eat crab legs!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

Have been two years in a row with excellent service, good crab, and you have to ask them to quit bringing out the crab!

Visited July 2014
St. Petersburg, Fla.
“When they're good, they're really good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

I've been going to the Shrimp Store four or five times a year for about 15 years or so. In the past few years, I had noticed that the food could be inconsistent. But after lunch today, I'm going to say that their standards have been raised.

I got something deceptively complex today (July 10): the grilled fish tacos and wow, was I surprised. I was served two 6-inch soft flour tortillas, each holding a filet of blackened basa with a mango sauce. Truth be told, this was easily some of the best fish tacos I may have ever tasted, The tacos were served with black beans and yellow rice any again, for what could have been a throwaway side dish, the beans and rice were surprisingly tasty.

Over the years, I've probably ordered almost everything on the menu. I didn't try my standard favorites today, the clam chowder and the new potatoes, but I'm betting they're both some of the best-tasting food at the restaurant.

I'm going to guiltily give the Shrimp Store three stars just because they've been so inconsistent in the past few years. But if they're just as good the next time I visit, I'd have no problem raising that to four stars.

1 Thank StPeteSaint