“Funky, tropical garden-setting, and good food.”
Review of Chattaway

Chattaway
Ranked #86 of 931 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Our first time here after driving past it for years! The weather was perfect for sitting outside, so that was a huge plus. The seating, at picnic tables mostly, is not super comfortable, but it fits the atmosphere, which is a pretty, tropical garden. We were there at night and the whole place is covered with tiny lights..very pretty. So...the food was good, average priced and they only take cash. There is a bar, not an extensive wine list or anything, but enough. A band was playing in the corner and a few people were even dancing. It wasn't so loud that we couldn't talk...nice. NOW, the BEST part of the experience was the incredibly efficient and friendly waitress, whose name I cannot recall. (she had long reddish hair) She had a sincere smile and was truly a delight (a word I do not use lightly). Try it.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

The outdoor experience is charming with the trinkets and bobbles. My children really enjoyed the fish pond. I come here when I'm in St. Petersurg and it is a consistently good hamburger.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Everyone should stop in at the Chattaway to experience what eating out was like before fast food was born. I remember eating at Chattaway with my Grandfather in the late 1950s and many times during my teen years in the 1960s and it hasn't changed much. On this visit I tried the "famous" Original Fried Chicken dinner and have to admit that it wasn't really that famous. The chicken and fixins were served hot and were good but not outstanding (for this reason I rated my visit as average). On previous visits over the years I have had the burgers which are always good. If you are in St. Pete give the place a try I think you will enjoy the visit. PS - most seating is outdoors so dress accordingly in very hot or cold weather.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Cahttaway's famous for their Chatta-burger was excellent 5 years ago. Not so today, today it lives on its former reputation. We went out of our way to Chattaway's this past weekend. Everything was dirty outside, not just old and worn, but unclean with a layerof dirt on top of almost EVERYTHING. What ended our frail positive relationship with Chattaway's was when the waiter "Lucky" came out and refilled our water glasses with a pitcher who's top was covered in filth. We sent two of our three burgers back they were bloody and destroyed the bottom bun, they came back adequately cooked. We will never return, You should never go.

1  Thank james c
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Returned to Chattaway's after an absence of 16 years. It has been upgraded from back in the day. But, the food and service are still great for Al Fresco dinning. It's been in business since 1921. Same lady still runs the place from 16 years ago. Try the fresh grouper or the Original Burger. The slaw is excellent and so are the fry's. One of the best Burgers in the US. On MLK and 22nd Ave South. We shall return!