“HELLO DELI!!!!”

Jo-El's Kosher Foods
Ranked #104 of 899 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Richmond Hill, Canada
“HELLO DELI!!!!”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Yesterday we had a craving for a real deli sandwich. Over the years, we've had some really poor excuses for a Pastrami sandwich in Clearwater and St. Petes. Saw reviews of one we'd never heard of before, JO-ELs and thought we'd try it. We'd been picking up some goodies at Mazzaros, and it was just around the corner. Place was a grocery store/Deli. It was very clean, and Kim, the server was very obliging. We both had a Pastrami Sandwich which came with a pickle and a side of our choice. I had Cole Slaw and hubby had Potato Salad. Both were hohum! The Pastrami sandwich was the best we've had in the area. However, as we come from the Toronto area which has several Delis including Centre St. Deli from Montreal, nothing can compare to the Sandwiches we get at home. If the sandwich we had here was a 5 out of 10, the Old Fashioned Smoked Meat sandwiches we get at home are an 11plus!!! I guess we've just ben spoiled!!!!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Beverley O

Gainesville, Florida
“Heaven in a warehouse with booths”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Worth the effort to find if you love good Jewish food. No atmosphere but great matzoh ball soup, chopped liver, etc. as well as kosher foods to prepare at home. Closes early Friday and is closed Saturday so plan accordingly.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank KBM212
“OMG delish!!”
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

Not since I left NY have I had such
Wonderful kosher food! The pastrami was to die for but go early, they had sold out of corned beef by noon

1 Thank Mandianderic
Ocala, Florida
“Great kosher food (if you don't mind the New York attitude)”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I left the Bronx when I was 12 (I'm 51 now)and have long since shed my N.Y.C. arrogance.But I did miss the food.Thank G-D for Jo-Els! In August 2011 my wife an I visited Tampa from Ocala to see my Bucs play her Pats and found Jo-Els on line.I was instantly transported back to 1971 when my parents would take me to Henri's deli.The corned beef and pastrami sandwiches were just as I remembered. The kinishes were just as tasty as well.If you want great kosher food Jo-Els is the real deal!But please, don't be put off by the ''New Yorkness''. These are great people who take running an authentic kosher deli very seriously,right down to closing on the sabbath(sundown Friday until sundown Saturday)as it should be.We'll be back this year for another match up between the Bucs and Pats and great kosher food.Maybe the the Bucs will win and my wife will stop razzing me. Ocala Buc-nut.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Buc-nut
St. Petersburg, Florida
“When you live here full time .....Jo-El's is the best it gets!!!!!”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Today in St Pete you can buy "real bagels" but there was a time not that long ago that this was the only place around to go on Sunday morning pick up fresh bagels, whitefish salad and while you were there get some other "real" deli food.
They have been where they are for a long time and if the place is a "little seedy", the food certainly is not. It is not the exact same as NY, Chicago or Detroit, but it sure does come close.
Moving to St Pete in 1980, I spent the first year of my life wanting a corned beef sandwhich that was not served on white bread (if I forgot to specify) and that actually had a choice of deli mustard rather than coming with a plastic bottle of yellow (fake) mustard....and I could buy white fish, lox, blinzes, great slaw, potatoe salad...etc. I still indulge in a NY deli sandwhich, but if you live here, Do-El's is THE BEST!

• Visited May 2012