“Hole in the Wall but good seafood”

Mid Peninsula Seafood
Ranked #49 of 919 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Proud to be family owned and operated since 1978! Mid Peninsula Seafood is a one stop complete seafood market and restaurant. We have two fresh fish showcases brimming with at least seven different species of fresh finfish, several sizes of shrimp, along with a wide selection of shellfish and other seafood specialties. You can purchase fresh seafood of your choice from our friendly staff, and either bring it home to your own kitchen, or let us cook it for you - by the piece, by the pound, or check out our menu.We are dedicated to providing the freshest selection of both wild caught and sustainable farm-raised seafood, along with home made accompaniments such as soup from scratch, various salads, and of course our homemade desserts. All brought to you with a side of friendly service and personal attention.Stop by or call today, and check out what's fresh!
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My daughter and family were visiting St Pete and wanted to have seafood for lunch. Her husband googled "seafood rest" and this place came up. I have lived here 4 years but not heard of it.

It is a seafood market that will cook what you buy and make it any form you want it. We had 3 grouper sandwiches with two fish blackend, and one grilled. We also had another "real" fish (Alaskan haddock) blackend sandwich and fried shrimp and oysters. Everything was great. The place is rustic but the people very friendly. The food runs from sandwiches to entire meals. The prices of what we ate ran from $4 to $8.50. One sits on picnic type tables but inside. Looking forward to return.

There are newer reviews for Mid Peninsula Seafood

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I had seen in the paper about this location and had anxiously wanted to go there. The last ad I saw said "Best Fried Oysters You Ever Ate!". WRONG!!!! My husband and I drove over an hour to get there. The parking lot was full and a line inside the door. A nice lady told me that you placed your order at the counter and then you went and seated yourself in the dining area. She also told me that the Crab cakes were wonderful and that she had been coming there for 20 years. That made me feel that my wait would be worth it. WRONG!!! Seeing that it took so long to drive there, I decided that I didn't know when I would get back, so I had better try as much as possible. We ordered the New England clam chowder. It was just ok. Not worth the trip. We ordered a crab cake and my husband and I both thought that it was ok, but could get better at Ruby Tuesday. My husband ordered the oysters and I ordered the Mate Combo (flounder, shrimp, scallops, and oysters). The oysters were small but ok. NOT THE BEST THAT I HAVE EVER EATEN! Believe it or not the best oysters that I have ever had was in a small town, Hebron, KY, at Mr. Herb's. They are big, brought in fresh and a light breading and THEY ARE THE BEST! The flounder had good flavor, but was greasy. The scallops were on the small side, flavorless and greasy. The shrimp were a nice size and were ok, but I could get a lot better shrimp in Zephyrhills at Gordon's of Maine or the Chowder House and not have driven for an hour. The steak fries were awful and I left almost all of mine and the coles slaw was edible, but that is all I can say about it. Our bill came to over $43, but we did try most things on their menu to see if it would be worth coming back. IT IS NOT WORTH MY TIME OR GAS TO GO HERE EVER AGAIN. If you are a true seafood lover and have the tastebuds for good seafood, I would recommend avoiding this restaurant. There are a number of better seafood restaurants to go to in St. Petersburg. The staff is friendly and very nice, but I don't like eating my dinner with plastic utensils(that you go and get along with your cocktail and tarter sauce and ketchup) The food arrives in a paper basket. Since I ordered the Mate Combo, my basket was a mess that you couldn't see what you had or didn't have. I ended up putting things on a napkin so my husband could taste what I had gotten. The napkin was all greasy from the fried foods. I would rather pay a little more and be served with regular utensils and plates. Not everything thrown in a paper basket for dinner. I am sorry that I have to write such a negative report on this, however I didn't like being misled about this location, making the trip and spending that much on such a disappointment. I don't mind spending the money for good food, but to be that disappointed is unacceptable. Maybe I was there on an off day and should give them another shot, but since it takes an hour to get there and plastic utensils, paper baskets, I don't think that I will give them a second opportunity. You be the judge on this place, if you feel like it.

1  Thank MichelleFlorida
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Up north near my hometown, we have a traditional Friday Night Fish Fry featuring fresh Haddock. No Haddock to be found here so I settled for Fried Flounder, Shrimp and Scallops with steak fries and cole slaw. I got the shrimp and scallops in case I didn't like the fish. I called ahead and it was hot and ready when I arrived, abouty 15minutes. As it turns out, the fish was battered nicely and tasted sweet and good. The Shrimp were large and tasty and the scallops melted in my mouth. The fries were crispy and the coleslaw was fresh and dekicious. Bonus! I also received a couple of Johnny Pups, kind of like hush puppies. They advertise that if they don't have the fish, maybe they can get it as they are also a fish market. I might call them on this if I'm here long enough.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

The best staff - very helpful for first timers!! You order at the front and since we were new there, they gave us menus to look at. Upon deciding, the gentleman at the counter was so helpful to us and made crab legs for my nephews even though it wasn't on the lunch menu. The boys had never had fresh seafood/crab legs and just loved it so much! Their sweet tea is a little too sweet but you can fix that by asking them to blend unsweet and sweet. The gentleman even came to our table to see how everything was and chatted with us. The decor could definitely be updated as you feel like you're sitting in a cheesy old seafood parlor at picnic or patio tables, but it's so good you don't mind!! The location is a little odd as it's in more of a residential area and looks like a convenient store a bit, but it's clean with great food!!

1  Thank Swtcks33
Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

Greasy and overpriced. It's located in a bad neighborhood and I can't believe how many people actually like this food. It was horrid.

1  Thank Avelinesage